IGNORED

Rovers Ground Jr Lodged

Super

Has it helped or hindered that both clubs are trying to build new stadiums, would it have been rubber stamped and built by now if just one new stadium was being built to accomodate both clubs plus an arena facility incorporated into the design ( no I haven't forgotten the rugby, they can have Ashton Gate.)

By the way, I've never for a moment wanted to share with the Gas, just putting the idea out there. Would land have been made more readily available, somewhere more 'neutral'?

The problem with a shared stadium is that non match-day revenue has to be shared between 2 clubs. This means it's not really a viable option

I feel like all this has gone beyond NIMBYism now. Is this a sign of a weak, inept council that can't get anything sorted effectively, or is it down to the influence of the Greens and those who wish to keep Bristol a large village? Either way, it's very sad indeed. The Bristol and Bath region has the potential to be hugely successful but all this desperation to 'protect' the green belt is holding it back.

I can't say I'm surprised, it's all a bit tiresome.

Regarding our new ground I will believe it when I'm sat in it, the countless images on the front page of the Evening Post over the past 30 odd years of how Rovers new ground 'could' look took their toll ages ago.

I actually quite like The Mem (yes really), so won't be too upset if we stay. I know it's a very cliched thing to say, but Bristol? FFS can we please have some sort of facility befitting a city of our supposed status? Arena, tram, football ground- anything!!

You say you like the mem and would not be too upset if you stay there. I can completely see where you are coming from, I hate almost everything about new stadiums and really like Ashton Gate.

However after reading some of the utter sh-it that has been spouted on your site (by most of the 10 people that use it) regarding dog walking etc. I think it is brilliant the way things have turned out. Do you think the people who contributed to the "Countdown until work starts on the UWE stadium" thread now feel a bit silly?

I though after the various "Oh yes" threads, rovers fans would have held back on taking the p*ss till the stadium was built and opened? :yes:

Will they ever learn? I doubt it.

Rovers were the only local sporting institution not to back Ashton Vale so I have absolutely no sympathy for them at all, but the sheer hypocrisy of George Ferguson who is now tweeting that the "JR process is the tail wagging the dog" when he opposed Ashton Vale because of the impact it would have on his business dealings is absolutely unbelievable.

The council have been accused of mistakes that allowed the minorities to persue their objections, are all of these mistakes genuine, or could they be engineered to aid those who wish to obstruct development.

There is definitely a NIMBY mole within BCC, you only have to see all the leaked documents to know that.

Also the wrongly marked boundaries on AV, find out whoever worked on that job and you could be very close to finding the mole.

Rovers were the only local sporting institution not to back Ashton Vale so I have absolutely no sympathy for them at all, but the sheer hypocrisy of George Ferguson who is now tweeting that the "JR process is the tail wagging the dog" when he opposed Ashton Vale because of the impact it would have on his business dealings is absolutely unbelievable.

Absolutely. People who voted that for that hypocrite should be ashamed.

Be realistic - why would a competitor positively endorse a rivals expansion plans that could effectively kill them off?

Rovers, publically at least, remained NEUTRAL - they didn't come out publically either in support OR against AV. The rugby club and crickets sides are different: they are not direct competitors.

Have City ever come out in favour of any Rovers applications, either for new stadia or the Mem expansion plans? No. And I wouldn't expect them to.

Be realistic - why would a competitor positively endorse a rivals expansion plans that could effectively kill them off?

Rovers, publically at least, remained NEUTRAL - they didn't come out publically either in support OR against AV. The rugby club and crickets sides are different: they are not direct competitors.

Have City ever come out in favour of any Rovers applications, either for new stadia or the Mem expansion plans? No. And I wouldn't expect them to.

Ah Daniel good to see you back on here. Certainly more people on here supporting your ground than your lot supporting ours. I actually still hope you get yours sick of these Nimbys destroying everything. Just one question if I did go tits up would Rovers be struggling financially?

Ah Daniel good to see you back on here. Certainly more people on here supporting your ground than your lot supporting ours. I actually still hope you get yours sick of these Nimbys destroying everything. Just one question if I did go tits up would Rovers be struggling financially?

I have no idea but I'd guess so. We don't have one of the UKs wealthiest men to underwrite the development and are reliant on the Mem proceeds to build the UWE. No Sainsbury's, no UWE. And without the UWE financially we're screwed in the long term.

BRISTOL...

Public Transport Integration, Entertainment Arena, Ice Skating (except at AV so they say,..gone) Rebuilt Bus/Coach station built about a mile away from a mainline railway station, NHS abandon fantastic site of World renowned Frenchay Hospital (out of Bristol boundary but served local and wider regions brilliantly, site sold for housing development despite its ideal transport links locally and to Nation wide motorway network ... in favour of gridlocked rushhour hospital developments at Southmead and BRI. One mistake after another, folly after folly, it's like living in the twilight zone, or Royston Vasey... Redeveloped a great little Bristol Industrial Museum replace it with an M Shed state of the art yuppie building, I like the bulilding, but virtually forget to include much local/regional industrial heritage (crazy shit, only in Bristol eh?) ... Decade after decade we (Bristol miss opportunities, spend fortunes on abandoned plans and projects, and inevitably choose the wrong options when faced with choices. BRISTOL, we can't organise a piss-up in a brewery cos short comings lost us ours... Courages jumped ship and we lost yet another piece of heritage... Fulton Airport, the Brabazon Hanger (arena possibility?)wait til nimbys sink that idea... A Rotting Concord that only loads and loads of hard work by public spirited Bristolian enthusiasts might be saved by the skin of its nose, despite years of indifference by the powers that be.

City & Rovers exist again despite lack of meaningful official support from local authorities.

We should have a home sorted, the Gas should have a home sorted, and it should be supported with help and the blessings of local politicians... We got a beautiful City but we badly need some forward thinking.. we can't just go so far and then let things stagnate facility wise.

I wonder if there's something in the local water sometimes, I really do...

I have no idea but I'd guess so. We don't have one of the UKs wealthiest men to underwrite the development and are reliant on the Mem proceeds to build the UWE. No Sainsbury's, no UWE. And without the UWE financially we're screwed in the long term.

Well we did try helping you out last week Wednesday but you kept giving us the money back!

BRISTOL...

Public Transport Integration, Entertainment Arena, Ice Skating (except at AV so they say,..gone) Rebuilt Bus/Coach station built about a mile away from a mainline railway station, NHS abandon fantastic site of World renowned Frenchay Hospital (out of Bristol boundary but served local and wider regions brilliantly, site sold for housing development despite its ideal transport links locally and to Nation wide motorway network ... in favour of gridlocked rushhour hospital developments at Southmead and BRI. One mistake after another, folly after folly, it's like living in the twilight zone, or Royston Vasey... Redeveloped a great little Bristol Industrial Museum replace it with an M Shed state of the art yuppie building, I like the bulilding, but virtually forget to include much local/regional industrial heritage (crazy shit, only in Bristol eh?) ... Decade after decade we (Bristol miss opportunities, spend fortunes on abandoned plans and projects, and inevitably choose the wrong options when faced with choices. BRISTOL, we can't organise a piss-up in a brewery cos short comings lost us ours... Courages jumped ship and we lost yet another piece of heritage... Fulton Airport, the Brabazon Hanger (arena possibility?)wait til nimbys sink that idea... A Rotting Concord that only loads and loads of hard work by public spirited Bristolian enthusiasts might be saved by the skin of its nose, despite years of indifference by the powers that be.

City & Rovers exist again despite lack of meaningful official support from local authorities.

We should have a home sorted, the Gas should have a home sorted, and it should be supported with help and the blessings of local politicians... We got a beautiful City but we badly need some forward thinking.. we can't just go so far and then let things stagnate facility wise.

I still miss the place though.

BRISTOL...

Adge Cutler had it dead right 40 years ago with Virtute Et Industrial and, if anything, it's got worse since :(

As Graham alluded to, the Rovers fans danced with glee while trying to through a spanner in the works with petitions against our build. Likewise BRFC were the only local sporting club not to back the World Cup bid which would have been a once in a lifetime opportunity for Bristol & brought lots of money into the City as a whole. While it frustrates me that these nimbys can stop developments that would bring this great city on to a level playing field with many lesser towns, Rovers get no sympathy from me.

As for dear red trousers, he can do one as well the self serving hypocrite. He backed Sainsburys horfield to grab some gash votes despite the many supermarkets in the area while opposing a relocation of Sainsburys Ashton. ******!

BRISTOL...

It's no wonder that Bristolians, in my experience, are the most 'glass half empty' people in the whole of the UK.

Defeatist and cynical. Understandably so sometimes.

Wouldn't be surprised if the UWE bowl didn't happen now. Time = money and the g*s don't have a great deal of it. Also, who's to say Sainsbury's won't now pull out or at some point in the future? They don't give a damn about the future of The UWE Pirates, I can guarantee that.

And what comedy that when the pre-action protocol happened (as reported by yours truly) Higgs came out and said "don't worry I've read it and it's a load of rubbish, we'll be fine" and today he is saying "I definitely saw this coming and I'm not surprised". Can't trust him as far as you can throw him.

There is definitely a NIMBY mole within BCC, you only have to see all the leaked documents to know that.

Also the wrongly marked boundaries on AV, find out whoever worked on that job and you could be very close to finding the mole.

"Bristol Citizen" on twitter is a BCC mole, very obvious and BCFC know about him (he leaked AV stuff).

Stephen Barrett who is part of the company initiating a JR AGAINST BCC also WORKS for BCC!!

There are moles everywhere. BCC seems rotten to the core. The problem, as I understand it, is due to employment laws/Unions etc getting rid of these people! Or looking at it another way: are these people doing anything wrong?

BRISTOL...

Very good post. I have to say that I think the M-Shed is great but you're not wrong...

"Bristol Citizen" on twitter is a BCC mole, very obvious and BCFC know about him (he leaked AV stuff).

Stephen Barrett who is part of the company initiating a JR AGAINST BCC also WORKS for BCC!!

There are moles everywhere. BCC seems rotten to the core. The problem, as I understand it, is due to employment laws/Unions etc getting rid of these people! Or looking at it another way: are these people doing anything wrong?

was just about to mention stephen barrett he director of landlord services or something, must have access to planning docs before most people, if only there was proof though

When I went to Milan, the only thing I wanted to see was the San Siro, and judging by the amount of tourists there, it was the same for them.. It was the same when I went to Barcelona and Madrid with the Bernabeau and Nou Camp, the football stadiums are one of the city's main attractions!

Even when I went to Milton Keynes the other week, it's a smallish town with a fabulous state of the art stadium plonked on the edge.. It's bizarre that the City of Bristol, something like the 7th biggest city in England, in the top 40 richest city's in Europe can't help at least one of it's football teams build a stadium that everyone in Bristol, even non football fans can be proud of!! It really is bewildering!

Archived