IGNORED

Anti-Homophobia Campaign

dezgimed

It's not PC nonsense. Homophobia is clearly a serious problem in football if not one player is happy to admit to being gay. I must admit that I've never heard homophobic abuse at Ashton Gate, but the evidence would suggest that it does remain a problem for football in general.

Is the anti-racism campaign PC nonsense too?

The day BCFC walk out with rainbow laces is the day I turn my back on football for good. What two men do in their own bedroom is their own business but why do we have to sign up to these stupid gimmicks. Well done City for avoiding this PC nonsense.

Someone sounds insecure.

Frightened you might like a pair for your weekend shoes??

It's not PC nonsense. Homophobia is clearly a serious problem in football if not one player is happy to admit to being gay. I must admit that I've never heard homophobic abuse at Ashton Gate, but the evidence would suggest that it does remain a problem for football in general.

How do you know if not one player has admitted he is gay?

Just because they have chosen to not speak out about it doesn't mean they haven't told the manager, team mates etc. This is just another shit campaign that plagues our society these days, it must be a generation thing, everybody has to be seen to do the right thing, if you don't join in you are an evil bastard and are homophobic/racist/sexist etc..

So Homophobia is clearly a serious problem in football but you have never heard homophobic abuse at Ashton Gate.

Just out of interest, when were you born?

Sexually I am quite partial to busty brunette s but that doesn't mean I want to broadcast it to the world, um er other than this forum. People's sexuality is nothing to do with BCFC and rainbow laces are nothing to do with BCFC, tell them to where to go.

I don't know why so many people would seem to have a problem with City signing up to a campaign that, if we're honest, none of us were really that aware of until the BBC published something stating how many clubs haven't signed up to it. I don't see why it would affect any of you if we did sign up to it and regardless of the 'gimmick-level' of it, City intimating that they don't agree with homophobia would mean something- however small- to gay football fans. Statistically, it is highly likely that there are people posting regularly on this forum that are gay

Anyone who thinks that homophobia isn't a problem in professional sport is a moron. Ask John Amechi how many of his ex-team mates speak to him these days. I know of one professional footballer (a mate of a mate of a mate) who is gay and he has stated he will never come out while playing as it'll be the end of his career. He also has no intention of staying in the game once he's finished because he claims he won't get coaching jobs

Even in 'the real world', homosexuality is still a stigma. I have a number of mates and former colleagues who are gay, they range from Louie Spence-camp to quite 'laddish' and every single one of them has experienced prejudice when it has become apparent they were gay. This has ranged from work place bullying to not getting picked for his cricket team to, on one occasion, getting the crap beaten out of him for being 'a faggot'. Anyone who thinks its not a campaign that needs waging is an idiot and football is a very popular sport a very good place to make a stand

A quedtion to all those who oppose BCFC declaring their opposition to homophobia; are you friends with any homosexual men or women?

I don't know why so many people would seem to have a problem with City signing up to a campaign that, if we're honest, none of us were really that aware of until the BBC published something stating how many clubs haven't signed up to it. I don't see why it would affect any of you if we did sign up to it and regardless of the 'gimmick-level' of it, City intimating that they don't agree with homophobia would mean something- however small- to gay football fans. Statistically, it is highly likely that there are people posting regularly on this forum that are gay

Anyone who thinks that homophobia isn't a problem in professional sport is a moron. Ask John Amechi how many of his ex-team mates speak to him these days. I know of one professional footballer (a mate of a mate of a mate) who is gay and he has stated he will never come out while playing as it'll be the end of his career. He also has no intention of staying in the game once he's finished because he claims he won't get coaching jobs

Even in 'the real world', homosexuality is still a stigma. I have a number of mates and former colleagues who are gay, they range from Louie Spence-camp to quite 'laddish' and every single one of them has experienced prejudice when it has become apparent they were gay. This has ranged from work place bullying to not getting picked for his cricket team to, on one occasion, getting the crap beaten out of him for being 'a faggot'. Anyone who thinks its not a campaign that needs waging is an idiot and football is a very popular sport a very good place to make a stand

A quedtion to all those who oppose BCFC declaring their opposition to homophobia; are you friends with any homosexual men or women?

So BCFC have to campaign on every worthwhile issue do they? Next week why don't we wear no laces to highlight the disgrace of a country where we have thousands of millions and yet tens of thousands who don't have the money to feed themselves properly. It is a tacky, gimmicky campaign and I just can't imagine any player other than an awful self publicist like Barton wanting to wear rainbow laces.

Did anyone else see that embarressing moment on Soccer AM on Saturday when that very unfunny comedian noticed that a certain player was now fit. He turned to John Fashanu and said " but course, I'm not THAT way inclined ha ha, how about you mate ? " Fash looked very uneasy as he replied " Don't look at me mate".

We all know the tragic story of his brother Justin.

So BCFC have to campaign on every worthwhile issue do they? Next week why don't we wear no laces to highlight the disgrace of a country where we have thousands of millions and yet tens of thousands who don't have the money to feed themselves properly. It is a tacky, gimmicky campaign and I just can't imagine any player other than an awful self publicist like Barton wanting to wear rainbow laces.

Why not indeed, but if a poverty awareness charity asked players to wear rainbow coloured laces to raise awareness of the thousands of people who can't afford to feed themselves and their children, would there be the same negative reaction towards it? Thought not...

All for us joining this. Surely anything that highlights this issue is worth doing? Like players wearing the kick out racism t-shirts. That started as a way of highlighting racism, then rio and a few other top flight players highlighted that they weren't doing enough by not wearing them, which bought the focus back on it even more.

I think anything that can help fight any discrimination in sport is a good thing.

Possibly the most sensible post I've ever read on this forum.

Engage brain.

Does wearing a poppy bring troops back from the dead?

It's called supporting a cause.

Buying poppys is to remember the fallen and the money goes to charity.

Wearing rainbow laces means "you accept homosexual footballs", even if you didn't you would still wear the laces so you don't come across as homophobic.

Players won't come out just because Marvin Elliott had colourful laces, fans won't change because of it.

More needs to be done like banning fans for chants etc.

Buying poppys is to remember the fallen and the money goes to charity.

Wearing rainbow laces means "you accept homosexual footballs", even if you didn't you would still wear the laces so you don't come across as homophobic.

Players won't come out just because Marvin Elliott had colourful laces, fans won't change because of it.

More needs to be done like banning fans for chants etc.

are they like bisexual cricket bats?

What a waste of time.

Signing up to wearing some t-shirts and doing a few photo-ops. While some unemployable with a media studies degree at the FA deludes himself that he's "making a difference" by "raising awareness".

I was glad to see that the Kick Racism Out campaign was finally pointed out to be the hollow waste of space it always appeared to be by some prominent black players.

Archived