IGNORED

Terry Cooper - Son Or No Son!

Tomo

Why is the bloke very liked down here??

Obviously know he was City manager during the 80s but not sure what he achieved. My dad raves about him!

He pretty much did everything, including putting his own money in. There are not many I would class as legends, but for me he is the very top of the legends list. For a bloke that wasn't a city fan, truly remarkable. He is all what football is about to me. Not what runs the club now.

I'm only 32, but I absolutely love Terry Cooper. He picked this club up when it was at its lowest ebb. He swept the terraces, he drove up to Darlington in a van to move Alan Walsh's furniture when we signed him. I met him at the 25th Anniversary Freight Rover Trophy Dinear a couple of years back and he told me and my mate to keep the faith as it's a great club.

He pretty much did everything, including putting his own money in. There are not many I would class as legends, but for me he is the very top of the legends list. For a bloke that wasn't a city fan, truly remarkable. He is all what football is about to me. Not what runs the club now.

This, the current staff at the club aren't fit to lick the shit off of Terry Cooper's or for that matter the Ashton Gate 8's shoes.

Took the club out of the bankrupt era to our 1st Wembley appearance.

A true legend .

Never forget when he broke down after us winning the Freight Rover. It may have been a tinpot cup, but that for me showed how much he cared and for a bloke who'd played at the highest level, was pretty amazing.

Loved the football we played under TC and going a goal behind wasn't a problem, as you always felt confident we could score two or three. Those were the days!

Yep, don't shoot me down FFS. Only asked

Sorry, no offence meant - thought everyone knew about TC (proably just shows how old I am).

From literally bottom (92nd in the league) he took us to safety. The next year he got us promoted. He got us to Wembley for the first time. Won our first trophy of any note. Despite having played for England god knows how many times and in the 1970 World Cup he cried at winning the little old a Frieght Rover Trophy for us fans.

So, pretty decent achievement but the real story is the fact the club was bust. Literally no money - not like now, where we can still blow £300k on a Swindon centre back. We played with kids to start with (not 21/22 year olds - 16,17,18 year olds) and a handful of old journeymen pros.

As people have already said, he turned his hand to anything, cutting grass, washing kits etc.

oh and we had no training ground - used council facilities (I think).

He sat on the board, put his time and money where it mattered.

He didn't single handedly safe our club but was massively responsible for giving it's pride back and restoring its spirit.

Clive Middkemass, his assistant is worth a massive mention too. And that reminds me that Cooper didn't lead the team out at Wembley - allowed Clive, his assistant, to do the honour.

I think that's why I have little time for SODs explanations for our current problems. Under Cooper we were much poorer, had much younger teams, re-built from scratch. We came out fighting, played good football, won games, were united and had an engaging charismatic man at the helm who I don't remember bleating or complaining about any of it.

The first manager when i regularly followed city. Great bloke managed city when they were rock bottom. Nothing but massive respect for him. Story was he paid for the fish and chips on the way back from away games. We should remember Terry at the gate. I only wish he had managed to get us out of league 2

Took the club out of the bankrupt era to our 1st Wembley appearance.

A true legend .

Absolutely right.

When I went down to AG to get my tickets for that first final I was in a small queue at the Williams ticket hatch.

Getting to the front I was amazed to find it was Terry Cooper himself taking the money and passing over the tickets and having a friendly chat with every supporter.

Absolutely right.

When I went down to AG to get my tickets for that first final I was in a small queue at the Williams ticket hatch.

Getting to the front I was amazed to find it was Terry Cooper himself taking the money and passing over the tickets and having a friendly chat with every supporter.

Ticket selling.... I've got a terrible vision of SOD trying the same..... Stood there, miserable as sin, with a dodgy scanner in his hand trying to explain that the queues will get worse before they get better and be patient give it a couple of years when the new scanners have bedded in.....

Also during the close season if TCS wasn't out arranging signings etc you'd most likely find him do the odd maintenance job around the ground.

Best manager in my memory by a long way, now imagine if GJ or AD had to cope with the financial restrictions TC had, doubt very much we would have had the success they helped achieve.

Alan Walsh £15,000 absolute steal at the time, says it all.

TC was a legend My brother was running the bars at Ashton Gate in those days and knew him well. TC heard that i was getting married so he got all the players to sign a wedding card for me with the words "with Love from Terry and Rose Cooper and all at Bristol City" how nice was that ..

Perhaps the biggest testimony to me in all this is what Cooper had already achieved as a player before he became a manager.

He had every right to bang on about what he'd done but never did so, but perhaps more players were like that then because Norman Hunter or Joe Jordan didn't either....

But we get utter mediocrity like Robbie Savage all over the media doing so these days.

Terry was a legend and this proves it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGnxJ45TnVg

I wont be at the game tomorrow but dont give cooper's son any stick as Swindle Manager,

Terry - lovely bloke

Tomo

As I mentioned on another thread TC will be at the game after flying in from his home in Spain.

So got to be worth a "Terry Coopers Red and White army". Always a true Legend

TC was manager when I started watching City, I agree with all the posts and have never heard a bad word against him. Would always chat with the fans because he cared about The Club.

He is the only manager I know that walked into a crowd of 1980s City fans in the middle of some trouble that stopped a match, at Reading. He calmed quite a serious situation involving thousands of away fans.

Can't think of any player, manager etc who could do that now

My parents were at the gate one year just before xmas and they were going to buy me a half season ST. When they pulled up TC walked past and started a conversation with my Dad. After a bit he asked why they were there and Dad told him . He said follow me took them into the office issued the ST and gave me 3 extra games as a present from him. My Dad could not believe it and its a story that will stick with me for ever. Great Man.

Archived