IGNORED

Terry Cooper - Son Or No Son!

Tomo

That is a fantastic example of what Terry Cooper was about. I think a chant of Terry Coppers red and white army would be fitting if he is at the game today.

Let me know if it happens as I cant make todays match.

My parents were at the gate one year just before xmas and they were going to buy me a half season ST. When they pulled up TC walked past and started a conversation with my Dad. After a bit he asked why they were there and Dad told him . He said follow me took them into the office issued the ST and gave me 3 extra games as a present from him. My Dad could not believe it and its a story that will stick with me for ever. Great Man.

Ticket selling.... I've got a terrible vision of SOD trying the same..... Stood there, miserable as sin, with a dodgy scanner in his hand trying to explain that the queues will get worse before they get better and be patient give it a couple of years when the new scanners have bedded in.....

Hahaha as I SOD supporter that did make me chuckle I have to admit!!

Terry attended our boys club annual dinner and presentation and gave an inspiring talk on how if you put the effort and dedication in you can achieve most things. He did this by illustrating his own career of going from working down the pits to his dream of becoming a pro footballer and was still there long after the official chucking out time chatting to the kids with a home game coming up next day.

His background growing up in a mining community and having to really graft probably explains all that has been attributed to the man.

TC was manager when I started watching City, I agree with all the posts and have never heard a bad word against him. Would always chat with the fans because he cared about The Club.

He is the only manager I know that walked into a crowd of 1980s City fans in the middle of some trouble that stopped a match, at Reading. He calmed quite a serious situation involving thousands of away fans.

Can't think of any player, manager etc who could do that now

I'd forgotten the Reading (ElmPark) incident. He went in and stopped all the crowd trouble by threatening take take the team off and abandon the game.

Agree with posts, especially the post noting that Cooper, Hunter and Jordan never bragged about what they had already achieved in their Leeds United / World Cup days. In fact - thinking about it - why do we have City fans who hate Leeds United so much, when we have such a strong legacy from them (fond memories of Jimmy Mann too)?

A rousing cheer for TC indeed.

Literally not a bad word about him on here...

He might not be interested any longer but our club could do worse than seek his advice.... He was on the board when we were in a bigger financial mess. He turned us around when we were in a worse footballing state. There must so much information he could impart.

Passing his experience to SOD and the board?

Spend an hour with our current players and tell than what can be achieved - the story of City from 82-86 should inspire them..... We've got to do it again.

Or just get him on the pitch at half time - put a smile on some older faces!!!

He would have been the ideal DoF. I've been surprised how little we've heard from Burt, I'd have expected some of the media burden to have fallen on the DoF (surely a big help to SOD) - Cooper would have been brilliant at that.

Ticket selling.... I've got a terrible vision of SOD trying the same..... Stood there, miserable as sin, with a dodgy scanner in his hand trying to explain that the queues will get worse before they get better and be patient give it a couple of years when the new scanners have bedded in.....

I'm a great fan of Sean, but that IS funny :)

TC played for City in our first division days, but left in after 78-79.1982-83 ended with the club in a mid-table position and Terry Cooper as a Player/Manager. Cooper would normally watch the first half, see where things were going wrong and come on as a second half substitute to sort matters out. Crude maybe, but it certainly worked. Later on Cooper became, perhaps uniquely a Player/Manager/Director! He signed that legend Joe Jordan to play for City and later on Jordan replaced Cooper as Manager. TC then became Manager of Exeter and then Birmingham. He brought their cheque book to Ashton Gate. In August 1994 he had bought Louie Donowa for £50,000 and in September he repeated the sum for Paul Mardon. This was the start of an exodus to the West Midlands and when Birmingham met West Brom in 1995, there were seven ex Bristol City players on the pitch!

This, the current staff at the club aren't fit to lick the shit off of Terry Cooper's or for that matter the Ashton Gate 8's shoes.

Or rather, TC did a brilliant job of getting the club back on its feet, coming in to the clear up the mess that the overpaid under-achievers, otherwise known as the Ashton 8, left us in.

Or rather, TC did a brilliant job of getting the club back on its feet, coming in to the clear up the mess that the overpaid under-achievers, otherwise known as the Ashton 8, left us in.

Really? This would be the same Ashton Gate 8 who five members of were integral members of the last City team to get promotion to the top flight? Hardly underachievers now were they? What a moronic thing to say.

I'm not talking about the 70s. If they weren't under achieving in 1982, are you assuming they found their true level, and represented good value for their wages in the relegation zone of Division 3? They were bleeding the club nearly to the point of extinction, which is why the adminstrators first job was effectively to sack them.

I'm not talking about the 70s. If they weren't under achieving in 1982, are you assuming they found their true level, and represented good value for their wages in the relegation zone of Division 3? They were bleeding the club nearly to the point of extinction, which is why the adminstrators first job was effectively to sack them.

They were given those contracts by inept management from the Board and Alan Dicks. They tore them up for the club to survive in 1982, they had to sacrifice a hell of a lot and your attitude towards them is disgusting.

Terry is still up there for me, and I have seen us play under 20 of the 35ish managers we have had in our history.Terry was a great player and a great manager. But his son is a ****. I know this because he was in the year below me at school. He was crap at football and only made it in the game by hanging on to his illustrious Dad's shirt tails. He was such a big headed little twerp. Used to play on the left wing. I used to play right back and took great delight in kicking him. Hard.

Terry is still up there for me, and I have seen us play under 20 of the 35ish managers we have had in our history.Terry was a great player and a great manager. But his son is a ****. I know this because he was in the year below me at school. He was crap at football and only made it in the game by hanging on to his illustrious Dad's shirt tails. He was such a big headed little twerp. Used to play on the left wing. I used to play right back and took great delight in kicking him. Hard.

He played 450+ games at Conference or above purely because his dad was a great player?? Blimey.

He played 450+ games at Conference or above purely because his dad was a great player?? Blimey.

Yes, exactly that. Sometimes, as in other areas of life, it is about who you know and who has the contacts to get you a job. The reason he didn't make it higher than the third tier is because he was shite. 457 games, but for 18 different clubs? Terry Cooper clearly had a lot of favours to call in. And to date, after 9 years in management, his biggest achievement is getting the managers job at Peterborough .... for three months.

1231536_10151642247902215_1899252490_n.j

Ex Gashead :)

But just to confirm what a top bloke he was , me and a mate were on our way to a game when he was our manager (about 80/81?) , stood at the bus stop with our blue and white scarves on. TC pulled up at the bus stop wound down the window and asked 'Are you going to the games lads?' and then gave us a lift- we couldn't believe it! Treated very shabbily by Rovers in the end.

Archived