IGNORED

Marlon Harewood

DaveF

Certainly becoming one of my favourite players!

Seems genuinely passionate, always trying to get the crowd behind the team which we really didn't do very well today... Good at holding the ball up and stretching the opposition defence.

Could turn out to be a pretty good signing for us in my opinion.

Baldock needs someone close by to feed off, as Jet's free role means we end up playing one up front. The problem with Baldock alone also means we have no physical presence to give the opposition a hard time and wins some battles.

He needs someone alongside and Harewood is perfect for him, although I think Taylor could be worth ago when Harewood tires.

God this guy has scored many prem goals a few years ago!!obviously not the player he was but still a right handful and Baldock always looks more of a threat when he comes on up top with him,he needs to be in the side while this team gels,at the moment Baldock is the outlet and gets muscled off the ball,he could take the pressure off when the "out" ball is needed

Very pleased with Marlon Harewood at the moment. He knows what he's come in to do and understands and respects in the most part he will be second fiddle to Baldock. Always looks up for it and tried to get the crowd going a few times today. I would like to see him start with Baldock at some stage, think he can cause a few problems and get Baldock a bit of space.

Very pleased with Marlon Harewood at the moment. He knows what he's come in to do and understands and respects in the most part he will be second fiddle to Baldock. Always looks up for it and tried to get the crowd going a few times today. I would like to see him start with Baldock at some stage, think he can cause a few problems and get Baldock a bit of space.

Completely agree.

I'm amazed some people are slagging him off, he came with the 'journeyman' tag so understandably most expected another Stern John... But he seems to actually be bothered.

We got going when he came on. He brought a whole new level of aggression and passion and Christ did we need it. Things aren't working at the moment and we need to be a bit more physical up top and he can bring this. The obvious challenge is how we protect the middle if we have JET in there as well as Harewood and Baldock. We need someone working very hard in centre mid if we are to go for this 3; someone like a Cisse. Marvin may be our best option. Or drop Baldock or JET, which would both be controversial options.

I love his enthusiasm and passion and he is a good addition. Make no bones about it. What worries me is it's the same tactic employed every single game. If we are losing chuck him on. Can we not do anything different? Burns? Pace in behind? It just all seems a little too predictable and desperate for me at times. Yes we were better with him on today but it shouldn't be the solution every single match.

Been saying for weeks should be starting alongside baldock to win/hold the ball up....when he came on against shrewsbury the other Tuesday he changed the game and made us look much more with it in the last 15 mins of that game

It's just not working playing baldock up there on his own and lumping balls up there, he just isn't gonna be able win, hold and distribute as required

It's just not working playing baldock up there on his own and lumping balls up there, he just isn't gonna be able win, hold and distribute as required

I didn't see us "lump" a single ball? Yes we need a different threat up top, but by no means did we lump the ball up to Baldock??

There was no lumping in the first half. Our build-up was on the deck and through midfield. The trouble is it invariably ended in a cross which Baldock was out-muscled for, or shots from JET outside the box. The tempo was too slow and Colchester were happy to sit and adjust position.

With Harewood we were able to get the ball forward quicker and start that possession football about 40 yards higher up the pitch. He took a central defender out of the game and it's no coincidence we started converting chances. Yes a few balls were lumped but generally they were long measured balls up to Harewood.

Teams are happy to sit back and watch us stroke it left to right in the middle third knowing they can handle Baldock. He gets no room to run in behind at home. Harewood has to start at Ashton Gate.

Do you make such stupid comments to aggrivate people or just to get a reaction ?

I'll have a gentlemans bet with you that he does.

I don't think he will. He doesn't look like a footballer, more like a physical brute who can bully people....but he does look utterly inept in front of goal.

But he does change games, the extra physical presence that jet and Baldock fail to bring Harewood definately does.

I'd give him a go, but he doesn't look like scoring.

According to Soccerbase MH has started 301 games and made 146 substitute appearances scoring 120 goals (League Football only). Equivalent to 0.26 goals per game.

For comparison, Sam Baldock has 110 (58) and scored 53, which equals 0.31 goals per game.

Or Jon Stead who has 261 (99) and scored 84, which is 0.23

Or Steve Davies who has 103 (81) and scored 40, which is 0.21 per game.

Harewood needs a start. We look a lot more dangerous with him on the pitch! He works hard in attack and defence and when the ball comes up to him we keep the ball whereas with Sammy it comes straight back. Whether its Baldock and Harewood up top or JET and Harewood. Either would be good in my opinion

No City shouldn't start with Harewood. He's the plan B when the passing game isn't working out. He gives the team another option with his physicality up top that Baldock and JET don't have.

Essentially he's a target man which doesn't fit well when a team is trying to play passing and possession football.

Archived