IGNORED

Baldock

old_eastender

that was my thoughts yesterday too.he was on the bench, why when we were playing out the last 15,wasnt he brought on to have a go, taking jet off was crazy when he had by far out performed baldock and if the sucker punch came would have still been there to pull one out the bag. harewood is ok,pleases the crowd but how many shots has he let fly so far?

Exactly this. I love all Harewood's drive and enthusiasm but it can't be the only option all the time to throw him on. He needs to do something different.

Apart from pace maybe, Brett Pitman is head and shoulders above Baldock and was the best striker we had, we just didn't use him well enough.

I'm still gutted he's gone and also for next to nothing!!

But is he even that much quicker than Pitman? Baldock came to us with a reputation for being quick but he really isn't. Pitman was often criticised by many for lacking pace and not being able to stretch defences but Baldock doesn't either.

With the beauty of hindsight of course I would have rather kept Pitman all day long. I had my doubts about Brett as well but he certainly wouldn't have missed half the chances Baldock has this season.

It's just something else to thank the utterly incompetent McInnes for.

that was my thoughts yesterday too.he was on the bench, why when we were playing out the last 15,wasnt he brought on to have a go, taking jet off was crazy when he had by far out performed baldock and if the sucker punch came would have still been there to pull one out the bag. harewood is ok,pleases the crowd but how many shots has he let fly so far?

I heard that after 60mins JET was just walking around shattered on the pitch so it was the right decision to sub him.. But for Hardwood ? Not do sure.

But is he even that much quicker than Pitman? Baldock came to us with a reputation for being quick but he really isn't. Pitman was often criticised by many for lacking pace and not being able to stretch defences but Baldock doesn't either.

With the beauty of hindsight of course I would have rather kept Pitman all day long. I had my doubts about Brett as well but he certainly wouldn't have missed half the chances Baldock has this season.

It's just something else to thank the utterly incompetent McInnes for.

Baldock is quicker than Brett. To be honest I think Flint would be quicker than Brett!! But Sam is no Albert. I think he would describe himself more of a goal poacher than a pacey striker but this season and parts of last season, I don't think he's good enough for a goal poacher as some of the chances he's missed is worrying.

If we didn't have JET, then we really would be in the mire.

I don't think it helps that Baldock is prob a nailed on starter currently because he dosnt have any genuine competition. If we can get this 'elusive' quick loan striker in soon it might Baldock the impetus/kick up backside to push on further this year and start to score more.

I'm happy with him personally as 6 in 10games for 'struggling' team who only play 1 up top isn't a bad return

I heard that after 60mins JET was just walking around shattered on the pitch so it was the right decision to sub him.. But for Hardwood ? Not do sure.

fair comment,i wasnt there so maybe shouldnt make suggestions. from what i heard on the radio tho,it seemed it just wasnt going to be Sams day.

I've never been a huge fan of Baldock, he certainly hasn't been the player everyone was saying he would be.

BUT...they said on the radio yesterday that it was the first time SoD had fielded an unchanged team, and we almost achieved the win. It also sounded like, and many people have backed it up on here, that we totally dominated the match. So I think we should stick with those players for a few more games. Regarding Baldock I have noticed he seems to be better when he starts the match, mostly when he comes on as a sub he can't get into the game so easily. Last season he seemed to play one game and then miss the next six, were those niggling injuries really enough to keep him out physically or was he more mentally unhappy? Obviously his job is to score but if he starts getting benched regularly again will he go back to last seasons form, if so it will be a shame as he seems happier now and anyway we have little else if we are honest.

6 in 10 doesn't wash for me, he should have scored a hat trick against Coventry before they scored their first, we've been creating a shed load of changes (Peterborough the exception), we have to take our chances because we seem like we are always gong to concede.

My worry is, if not Baldock then who?

Another game today when Baldock scuffs a shot when well placed to score... however from what I have seen he has the ability. I reckon he is just not mentally/physically sharp enough when these chances come along because he is chasing, mainly hopeful, through balls trying to win us possession, or harrying defenders when they have possession, ALL BY HIMSELF.

JET does not play up front alongside Baldock. The answer has to be for SOD to abandon a little of his priniciples and find a formation that allows Baldock to be supported by Harewood up front and still have JET in a freeish role, from the START of a match. When we are 2 up he can then change back to his favored formation to see the game out!

Come on SOD be a little braver and that long awaiting first win will be ours... COYR

its not rocket science-we need a strong pacey target man with physicallity/mobility to match for Sam to play off and for Jet to sit in behind..if and when we find the right man it may,just maybe time to light the blue touchpaper..

Baldock's had more than enough chances this season without this elusive man alongside him, he should've had 2 before half-time on Saturday and he had more chances after. Playing another striker means losing a midfielder and we ain't strong enough defensively to cope with that and JET's not the answer. This ain't about Baldock needing help, he's got to start sticking away a higher percentage of the chances he has had because he's getting plenty. Coventry, Gillingham and the one that rolled under his foot at MK Dons are the ones that stand out most.

Would be nice to perhaps see Baldock up top with Harewood for a decent spell against Wycombe, to see if that has any effect on his and the team's performance.

Still, worth considering that regardless of the number of chances he might NOT bury, if he continues scoring at the rate he is, Baldock would finish the season with around 20 goals, and JET even more.

Makes you realise how terrible our defence is when that is potentially on the cards.

I'd back JET to score in a one-on-with the keeper every time, Baldock I wait for the inevitable disappointment. Baldock's reputation is as a goalscorer but I reckon JET will still finish the season with more goals than him because JET's more clinical. Wonder who will take our first penalty of the season?

Just seen the goals from the port vale game and got to say how impressed I was by the way baldock smashed the ball into the top corner. Just a shame wagstaffs initial effort had already gone in...

Seriously though, anyone else sick of hearing the words 'pitman wasn't given a fair chance'? He was given more than enough chances but 1 in 10 performances was good enough and we move on. Really not that good a player

Just seen the goals from the port vale game and got to say how impressed I was by the way baldock smashed the ball into the top corner. Just a shame wagstaffs initial effort had already gone in...

Seriously though, anyone else sick of hearing the words 'pitman wasn't given a fair chance'? He was given more than enough chances but 1 in 10 performances was good enough and we move on. Really not that good a player

Couldn't disagree on Pitman more.

Now there is a natural goalscorer, and when he was actually given a run of games for City - not left out for a misfiring Maynard, dropped after one mediocre game, or shunted out to the wing - he proved it beyond doubt. A scorer of great goals, one of the best passers of the ball at the club, and superior to Baldock at linking play.

Dreadful mistake for City to sideline him, destroy his natural ebullient confidence and then let him go just as one of his most ardent admirers in football - SO'D - took over.

SO'D made it very clear he would have kept, and played Pitman, and Pitman would be well into double figures this season on the chances City have created.

Couldn't disagree on Pitman more.

Now there is a natural goalscorer, and when he was actually given a run of games for City - not left out for a misfiring Maynard, dropped after one mediocre game, or shunted out to the wing - he proved it beyond doubt. A scorer of great goals, one of the best passers of the ball at the club, and superior to Baldock at linking play.

Dreadful mistake for City to sideline him, destroy his natural ebullient confidence and then let him go just as one of his most ardent admirers in football - SO'D - took over.

SO'D made it very clear he would have kept, and played Pitman, and Pitman would be well into double figures this season on the chances City have created.

Dead right. I'm still frustrated about it now, what a opportunity we had with Brett, the best natural finisher I've witnessed down the Gate in my lifetime. Granted I haven't been following City as long as others on here.

He frustrates me no end. His overall game is weak. With him in the side its like playing with 10. I'm fed up with him hiding behind the Centre halves and not showing properly for the ball. At the moment when he does show he has woeful control. I say to SOD take the armband away and give it to Shorey fo a start. Then go out find another attacker who is going to make the difference and quick. Baldock has

had his chance.

Dead right. I'm still frustrated about it now, what a opportunity we had with Brett, the best natural finisher I've witnessed down the Gate in my lifetime. Granted I haven't been following City as long as others on here.

Though I agree we never got to really see the absolute best from Pitman, I'd say the last similar 'natural' finisher (i.e. instinctive and slightly unorthodox) we had was Heffernan.

Also interesting to note he went on to be tremendously successful under our own current head coach, after SO'D arrived at Donny.

Makes me utterly gutted Pitman was shipped out by McInnes before SO'D arrived; believe Brett would have been integral to our team under SO'D.

Baldock, 6 goals in 10 games.. They say a striker should aim for 1 goal every 2 games, that's acceptable to me

What's not acceptable is a player like Ryan Taylor, 1 goal in 100 games (slight exaggeration) but it feels like that, but is never criticised

Oh, I think you'll find that he is! He has some big fans on here though - who claim that Taylor is worth his place for his ability to hold the ball up and bring others into the game. Personally, I doubt this - and seeing Taylor's name appear on any thread relating to improving our goal-scoring ratio is laughable.

Oh, I think you'll find that he is! He has some big fans on here though - who claim that Taylor is worth his place for his ability to hold the ball up and bring others into the game. Personally, I doubt this - and seeing Taylor's name appear on any thread relating to improving our goal-scoring ratio is laughable.

I was one who thought the drop down to League One might give Taylor the chance to at least show what he can do, but with this injury putting him out of contention and the signing of Harewood, I think his ship has probably sailed on his Bristol City career.

Would, as always, love to be proven wrong, but unless he returns and immediately starts ripping up trees and actively helping us win matches, I don't think he'll be a big factor this season.

Archived