IGNORED

England V Montenegro Match Thread

Super

Can Chiles get away with that comment on air about trying to get some building work done? Bit of a Ron Atkinson moment?

Dunno. If you want it done on time get a pole in though. Not sure it is taking the piss. More pointing out workshy or not delivering on time time British.

It's nothing like Atkinson!!!

:) certainly isn't. Atkinson was just a relic. I have no doubt Atkinson didn't mean what he said in a detrimental way when you consider who was in the studio at the time. But he certainly used the languge to suggest otherwise. More a silly bugger than a racist. But only he will really know if he is or not.

• Admin

It's nothing like Atkinson!!!

Dunno. If you want it done on time get a pole in though. Not sure it is taking the piss. More pointing out workshy or not delivering on time time British.

Chiles seems to have a lot of people who appear completely irritated by his face and I expect quite a few will capitalise and put a complaint in.

• Admin

:) certainly isn't. Atkinson was just a relic. I have no doubt Atkinson didn't mean what he said in a detrimental way when you consider who was in the studio at the time. But he certainly used the languge to suggest otherwise. More a silly bugger than a racist. But only he will really know if he is or not.

To be fair I share that view personally of Atkinson. He's just a relic and many who know him well came out in support of him. I also believe Chiles meant no malice whatsoever, but these days you can't tell jokes about nationalities on live tv.

Please don't confuse my post with me wishing for action to be taken, I was simply canvassing whether others suspect it might be taken.

Chiles seems to have a lot of people who appear completely irritated by his face and I expect quite a few will capitalise and put a complaint in.

No doubt. He is an annoying brummy ****. Not sure there was much in what he said to be honest.

It is like someone saying I am some sort of crap empire builder because I'm British. Just a stereotype rather than a insult. At the end of the day it is someone taking the piss, without any nasty undertones. If anyone takes offence, then I believe they have a problem.

To be fair I share that view personally of Atkinson. He's just a relic and many who know him well came out in support of him. I also believe Chiles meant no malice whatsoever, but these days you can't tell jokes about nationalities on live tv.

Please don't confuse my post with me wishing for action to be taken, I was simply canvassing whether others suspect it might be taken.

I don't I am just commenting. People can take comments how they see fit. Sounds like you have a similar outlook on things like this as I do.

You could see the look on his face change the second he realised what he just said could have been taken by some.

I find him as irritating as anyone, but the day you can't make a harmless, non offensive, stereotype joke like that, really will be a final nail in the coffin of free speech.

When you look at what Atkinson actually did for black football players in England it's pretty difficult to call him racist.

But that comment.

He's just a bit of a **** really.

When you look at what Atkinson actually did for black football players in England it's pretty difficult to call him racist.

But that comment.

Exactly. Grey matter just didn't engage

Don't quite get all the hateing on chiles, when he used to do noted 2 he seemed quite popular! also theirs are genuinely loathsome people commentating on football (Alan green) OK access isn't the greatest but I don't think he deserves all the flak he gets, as mentioned he wrote a excellent book (called we don't know what were doing) and is a genuine fan.

polish is not a race so it is not racist.

It's not a race its a product.

Homes in Peterborough must be the cleanest in Britain as I've never seen so many polish shops.

But that comment.

What he said was that the player under discussion would be called in certain circles "a lazy n****r".

Those 'certain circles' were other black players, and he knew about that expression because he was one of the first English managers to recruit them in any number. Yes, it wasn't a clever thing to say, but he was hung out to dry for saying it. It's a shame that none of the players for whom he did do much stood up to defend him.

Archived