IGNORED

Polish Flag At Wembley Tonight.

GrahamC

The Poles have a massive surfer flag which is going to be unveiled to honour the heroic Polish fighter pilots who fought for our freedom in the Battle of Britain.

After the battle was over the British chief of staff said "he would not have been certain of the outcome without the Poles' bravery", as after Britons they shot down the most enemy planes.

Good to remember sometimes the positive effect that our European friends have had.

A quarter of the kids on my primary school class had Polish names. The Polish Army HQ in Britain was just down the road. If you're ever in the Polish Club in Clifton, have a look at the structure of the basement. It's a bunker with a reinforced concrete roof.

Given way too many tickets tonight by the fa.

This is supposed to be the game to get us qualifying for the world cup.

Poland will be relaxed but also with a very good backing behind them, tickets should have gone to us.

We should have too much for them, but i remember 1973.

More support the better, not make them feel at home.

Poland will be relaxed but also with a very good backing behind them, tickets should have gone to us.

very strange by the fa..

They knew if they didn't give them enough then they would get loads in the home end which would lead to security and safety issues, I agree with giving extra tickets, but maybe a tad excessive, I'd have thought maybe 14,000 at most as thats an extra 5000.

They knew if they didn't give them enough then they would get loads in the home end which would lead to security and safety issues, I agree with giving extra tickets, but maybe a tad excessive, I'd have thought maybe 14,000 at most as thats an extra 5000.

But now they have 20,000

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/international/england-v-poland-record-away-support-of-20000-will-roar-on-poles-in-world-cup-qualifier-at-wembley-8877730.html

The Poles have a massive surfer flag which is going to be unveiled to honour the heroic Polish fighter pilots who fought for our freedom in the Battle of Britain.

After the battle was over the British chief of staff said "he would not have been certain of the outcome without the Poles' bravery", as after Britons they shot down the most enemy planes.

Good to remember sometimes the positive effect that our European friends have had.

Over the last 200 years or so, I think it is fair to say that we have never had truer friends than the Poles.

Fair play to them.

That said, we desperately need that win tonight. 

We really ****ed the Poles over at the end of the war... we wouldn't let them be acknowledged or join in the celebration march at the end of the war, because we didn't want to upset the Russians. I understand many Poles will be cheering for us as they don't want Ukraine to go through.

I think 20k is a bit over the top, 14k would have been enough. On a note about the polish...

We have a lot of poles at where I work and I must say that they are some of the nicest people I have ever met. Always up for a laugh and very hard working.

Unlike some of the youth of today who would rather sit on their asses and have money given to them by the state.

I think 20k is a bit over the top, 14k would have been enough. On a note about the polish...

We have a lot of poles at where I work and I must say that they are some of the nicest people I have ever met. Always up for a laugh and very hard working.

Unlike some of the youth of today who would rather sit on their asses and have money given to them by the state.

Echo this, they work their backsides off, I'll give them that

It does worry me that they have an element in their support (yes, we all do, before someone replies) that likes a punch up - and the FA have created a cluster**** they needn't have here. Hope I'm wrong

I totally agree...nice people and hard working... although how we can have approx. 20 000 Poles in this Country claiming benefit baffles me... or so I read in one of the papers today... Times I think...

I had 5 poles working for me, the laziest, most racist 5 people I have ever come across, disgusted at heir bigotry and attitude towards "foreigners", oh the irony.

Just proves how you can't tar everyone with same brush.

Had many work under me, There either shit hot workers or the useless ******s, never average. Most times there useless, rush jobs and unhygienic. 

Don't just remember the Polish fighter pilots in the Battle of Britain but remember the extreme valour of the Polish RAF Bomber Command aircrews as well. Remember that over 55,000 of RAF Bomber Command - of many nationalities - died in World War 2. Also remember Poland's great King John III Sobieski who helped keep Western Europe free of Islamist tyranny.

I went to the last England v Poland match at Old Trafford in 2005 I think.  There were about 7500 official polish fans there plus thousands of others dotted around the ground.  You didn't really know they were there until they scored.  Some got a kicking when they did.  

It makes perfect sense to me that they have so many tickets, otherwise they'd sit in the home end.  England have struggled to sell out wembley anyway, so it makes sense commercially as well.

We really ****ed the Poles over at the end of the war... we wouldn't let them be acknowledged or join in the celebration march at the end of the war, because we didn't want to upset the Russians. I understand many Poles will be cheering for us as they don't want Ukraine to go through.

Rather Ironic that we entered the war to defend them and by the end of it we were waving the flag of victory whilst a tyrannical puppet government ruled from Warsaw. Saying that I went back to Poland a fortnight ago and Warsaw is one big building site. Less knocking down the concrete Soviet buildings but more putting taller buildings around them to hide it, will look awesome when its done and their transport infrastructure will be excellent. 

I went to the last England v Poland match at Old Trafford in 2005 I think.  There were about 7500 official polish fans there plus thousands of others dotted around the ground.  You didn't really know they were there until they scored.  Some got a kicking when they did.  

It makes perfect sense to me that they have so many tickets, otherwise they'd sit in the home end.  England have struggled to sell out wembley anyway, so it makes sense commercially as well.

I think I was sat with you, wasn't I? Am I thinking of the same game, Bard?

As the OP stated, I think we should fret less about how many blinking tickets they've got and be mindful more of the positive contribution of so many peoples - with the Poles at the forefront - to our war effort and ultimate survival as a free-speaking, free-thinking country (no matter our opinions on the Daily Mail, Michael Gove etc), 

I know all of you who have commented on the (perhaps the unfair) allocation of tickets will know about and remember the serious nature of the war, of course, and I am certainly in no way criticising anyone for talking about tickets on this post (apologies for shouting there) but, as a teacher, it says more about our nation that this post has become about tickets rather than about the often underplayed and maligned role millions of suppressed people played in the downfall of totalianarianism in the 40s.

Age has nothing to do with it (I'm too young to know the war), but as generations of kids pass through my classroom, the impact of the WWII and the aid so may people gave us as a nation is slipping from memory. Sad.

Like I say, I'm not having a pop at anyone (for once!) and this is a football forum after all.

But lest we forget...

I think I was sat with you, wasn't I? Am I thinking of the same game, Bard?

As the OP stated, I think we should fret less about how many blinking tickets they've got and be mindful more of the positive contribution of so many peoples - with the Poles at the forefront - to our war effort and ultimate survival as a free-speaking, free-thinking country (no matter our opinions on the Daily Mail, Michael Gove etc), 

I know all of you who have commented on the (perhaps the unfair) allocation of tickets will know about and remember the serious nature of the war, of course, and I am certainly in no way criticising anyone for talking about tickets on this post (apologies for shouting there) but, as a teacher, it says more about our nation that this post has become about tickets rather than about the often underplayed and maligned role millions of suppressed people played in the downfall of totalianarianism in the 40s.

Age has nothing to do with it (I'm too young to know the war), but as generations of kids pass through my classroom, the impact of the WWII and the aid so may people gave us as a nation is slipping from memory. Sad.

Like I say, I'm not having a pop at anyone (for once!) and this is a football forum after all.

But lest we forget...

I agree. Not only do we owe our freedom to the Poles but we let them down shamefully in allowing their country to be occupied by the Soviet Union. Not that there was much we could have done to stop it :(

As an angler I can confirm they do not give a toss about the laws of the land, they BBQ fish on the bank, fish without licences, and just recently they have set fires, complete disregard to live stock crops or human life. The run in's I have had with this lot is too much for it to be just a coincidence.

If they wish to come over here to work they should respect this country, sadly many do not . But then again what Eastern European  group do?. 

I hope more than any other team we stuff 'em.

I'll maybe let someone else field this one...

(Where to start?)

As an angler I can confirm they do not give a toss about the laws of the land, they BBQ fish on the bank, fish without licences, and just recently they have set fires, complete disregard to live stock crops or human life. The run in's I have had with this lot is too much for it to be just a coincidence.

If they wish to come over here to work they should respect this country, sadly many do not . But then again what Eastern European  group do?. 

I hope more than any other team we stuff 'em.

Like me, I'm sure you have seen them kill a few ducks or geese. In Cardiff it was quite common for the eastern Euros to steal ducks/geese from the local Parks to eat, around Christmas time it was guaranteed.

Archived