IGNORED

This Season... Why I Am Enjoying It...

spudski

... I just thought i'd share a view, of why I am enjoying watching City play this season, and why I have hope for the future.

The first thing I did, was clear my head of all the past seasons, and what has gone on before.

They are all in the past, and we can't do anything about them apart from learn from our mistakes... moaning about them doesn't change anything.

I've forgotten about our near miss with the Prem and any thoughts of Ashton Vale... there is no point...it just clouds our present situation.

We find ourselves in League 1, under new financial restrictions set out by the football League, and a relatively new and changed Board ( it is what it is, we have to live with it ). A new Blueprint set out by the Club, that is trying to build from the Academy up and develop and blood youngsters.

A few old heads brought in to share knowledge and experience... a better Scouting system and a manager that has been asked to work within these confines and put in place a 'Footballing' culture that will build a strong foundation for the future.

How I see it... it's like watching a brand new Club that is just starting out... almost like a 'phoenix from the flames'...

I have no aspirations of what to expect... because it is uncomparable  to previous seasons and to what other Clubs are trying to do in our Division.

I could have walked away and thrown my hands up in despair at what has happened to us.

I could have thought about all the money and time and effort I've thrown at following City and not enjoying it... ( I have... but that's all gone and in the past )

So... I find myself watching a manager trying to develop a footballing culture at our Club and trying to do the right things. He doesn't have much money, his hands are tied in many ways and he has a few players tied up on expensive contracts that he doesn't want there anymore.

He's brought in young hungry players and some experience. He's blooding youngsters and trying to get them to play football... entertaining football... getting them to make the right decisions and molding them into footballers... intelligent footballers. ( something the majority of us have wanted for years )

He listens to the fans... talks with the fans and explains what's going on at the Club... it almost feels like a family Club again... almost non league ( which imho a great feeling )

He listens to knowledgeable fans regarding new players and what is available out their, and does this regularly ( I know this for a fact ) How refreshing...

I've sat and watched... listened to the manager speak... and made my own conclusions and judgements...

I see a Team developing... trying to play possession based, patient, entertaining football ( something to be proud of )... I see youngsters trying... I see mistakes... I see passion... I see despair at their own individual errors... I see commitment... I see a team to be proud of, that is trying, but falling short in some departments.... I see a work ethic and a plan...

I don't see overpaid prima donnas who don't give a ****... I don't see quick fix football.... I don't see panic... I don't see Clueless managers....

I've fallen back in love with our Club again... it's not perfect... I can see what they are trying to do...

I can support or give up... I've chosen the former...

I watch through new eyes... I want us to do well...

I want my fellow fans to get behind the team... forget the past... create a fortress... be proud of our young team... admire what we are trying to do... look at other teams, and feel sorry for them... because most are doing what we used to do....

The future looks bright in my eyes... don't look at where we are in the League now... watch and be inspired by what we are trying to create...

It's a lovely feeling being able to see a 'new born' club being developed into a 'Footballing' Club.

Just thought i'd share my feelings and why i'm enjoying it this season... maybe worth a try for all those not enjoying it so much?

Great OP.

no doubt the same old name will be on here going on about the league table and again missing the point that dispite NOBODY being happy about where we are right now, there are undoubtedly positives that can be seen emerging.

COYR!

You say that we are doing things differently to other clubs in our division. Yes, but whatever they are doing it is working far better than our master plan. We are in the throes of a transition which may or may not work, but until we know for sure either way, the League table is our only guide. I personally am very worried about where this club is heading.

Agree with the OP. I've started going down regularly again - would have been there on Saturday but for the postponement :grr:

The football is worth watching at last, without overpaid prima donnas doing the absolute minimum to get their pay packet, and with a team developing a classy style of football.

If only the rest of the matchday experience was as good...

You say that we are doing things differently to other clubs in our division. Yes, but whatever they are doing it is working far better than our master plan. We are in the throes of a transition which may or may not work, but until we know for sure either way, the League table is our only guide. I personally am very worried about where this club is heading.

That's the problem... many view our league position as our only guide at the moment.

I see it differently. I've watched us play regularly this season... we are playing well... it's small individual errors that are killing us for results... not our system of play or our defence as a whole... once we lose the individual errors and players start making the right decisions... we'll be fine... it really isn't like the past few seasons where we were woeful as a team.

We are going in the right direction...

I concur, excellent post! Would i rather be watching the football/footballers last year or this year? Again the former as the positives outweigh the negatives BUT most of all...... I actually look forward to watching City which i havnt in last couple seasons as its felt more like a chore!

Firmly belive in SOD and what he/club are trying to achieve.

I personally am very worried about where this club is heading.

Financial prudence, a redeveloped Ashton Gate, fantastic new training facilities, investing in and developing youth, encouraging an attractive style of passing football, a massively improved scouting network, a long-term strategy...

Is it really so difficult for some people to look beyond The League Table?

Nope it isnt, however what this whole discussion ignores is this is what we should have been doing anyway! I cant understand why people are celebrating doing what the football club should have been doing for years, when it should have been normality in the first place. It's like yay, we're celebrating normality, big pat on the backs? Odd way of doing it

Erm also some one on another similar post to Spudski mentioned similarities to what Benny was trying to do, which I broadly agree with. However, as I've said on here or elsewhere, he managed transition within 4-5 months rather than the 8-9+ that we are seeing now and was picking up stylish wins including hammering Grimsby and beating a very strong Norwich City side inc Bellamy, Eadie etc, with youth players Pinamonte scored vs Norwich iirc. Yes we got hammered first couple of games, but Benny had us competetive within 6 games not 9 months, beating Sheffield United 2-0 around December.

So excuse me whilst I dont get all self congratulatory just yet because, it's very much in the balance rather than a new dawn. We need wins, now and a series of them not just one or to this has been proven on various threads or else we will be in severe trouble again. For all of this 'celebration' it certainly seems very premature to go on about it as if everything has been solved, when clearly, very clearly, it has not. Some might say people have gone so far the other way, that they've broken a little/ or are just being ignorant about the issues in front of their eyes, prefering a dreamy hagiographic utopia , which at this point has no substance.

I agree in part with you,Ralph .We should have been doing this but did n't .Always chasing the immediate result and ignoring the sensible way to achieve it.

However,right now is where our club has woken up and stated it's objectives and how we aim to fulfill them.This is a beginning.In all my years of supporting City i don't recall a single director or manager saying how they planned to advance the club,do you ?

So l,like in a mariage ,it's for better or for worse and for me ,results aside,i have not been this confident in the future of the club,EVER .

Nope it isnt, however what this whole discussion ignores is this is what we should have been doing anyway! I cant understand why people are celebrating doing what the football club should have been doing for years, when it should have been normality in the first place. It's like yay, we're celebrating  normality, big pat on the backs? Odd way of doing it

Erm also some one on another similar post to Spudski mentioned similarities to what Benny was trying to do, which I broadly agree with. However, as I've said on here or elsewhere, he managed transition within 4-5 months rather than the 8-9+ that we are seeing now and was picking up stylish wins including hammering Grimsby and beating a very strong Norwich City side inc Bellamy, Eadie etc, with youth players Pinamonte scored vs Norwich iirc. Yes we got hammered first couple of games, but Benny had us competetive within 6 games not 9 months, beating Sheffield United  2-0 around December.

So excuse me whilst I dont get all self congratulatory just yet because, it's very much in the balance rather than a new dawn. We need wins, now and a series of them not just one or to this has been proven on various threads or else we will be in severe trouble again. For all of this 'celebration' it certainly seems very premature to go on about it as if everything has been solved, when clearly, very clearly, it has not. Some might say people have gone so far the other way, that they've broken a little/ or are just being ignorant about the issues in front of their eyes, prefering a dreamy hagiographic utopia , which at this point has no substance.

Like I said in my OP.. I've forgotten about what our Club should have done years ago... what's the point in feeling bitter about it?

It's happened... you can either embrace the change that they are eventually trying to achieve... better late than never... or just constantly moan about what should have been or the fact results aren't coming thick and fast.

It was actually me that brought up the 'Benny Scenario'... however i'm intelligent enough to realise that what we have now and what Benny had at his disposal are completely different. Totally different scenarios...

I can understand your frustrations... I however can't understand your thinking or reasoning...

You are basing everything you say purely on results... I don't count last season as it was survival football with players who weren't interested.

Yes... we haven't got the desired wins this season... but when you go to watch the team play, can you not see with your own eyes how much better we are playing as a team?

As a side thought... I've run out of 'Likes'... I would have liked to add them to some positive posts on here... it's nice to feel the majority of fans both on here and at the Gate are actually seeing the wood for the trees and can see progress.

The sooner we really get behind the team at the Gate, and drown out the vocal minority the better imho.

It is a backs to the wall scenario... but with real belief behind it.

Lets support not be negative... all that does is make the situation worse...

As for me being SoD... haha... I'll take that as a compliment... however i'm much better looking and louder haha ;-)

Nope it isnt, however what this whole discussion ignores is this is what we should have been doing anyway! I cant understand why people are celebrating doing what the football club should have been doing for years, when it should have been normality in the first place. It's like yay, we're celebrating  normality, big pat on the backs? Odd way of doing it

Erm also some one on another similar post to Spudski mentioned similarities to what Benny was trying to do, which I broadly agree with. However, as I've said on here or elsewhere, he managed transition within 4-5 months rather than the 8-9+ that we are seeing now and was picking up stylish wins including hammering Grimsby and beating a very strong Norwich City side inc Bellamy, Eadie etc, with youth players Pinamonte scored vs Norwich iirc. Yes we got hammered first couple of games, but Benny had us competetive within 6 games not 9 months, beating Sheffield United  2-0 around December.

Who is celebrating??

You sound like you need a hug.

Indeed, I think that for all the so called criticism at SO'D is a bit of a myth

I honestly belive the for once the City fans are really onside with what we are trying to achieve, why else would be have over 8k season ticket holders and over 10k supporters following a team in our position.

It is just like having to crack a hard nut at the moment, but when it cracks I'm convinved we will be in good hands. I actually hope the board (whoever they are) hold their nerve and let SO'D see this one through

After all we have all sat there and witnessed what has gone wrong over the past years and we CAN see that there is improvement.

Agreed... from my experience, the majority of the 'vocal minority' are people who rarely or don't go to games anymore, and purely judge on media soundbites and television highlights or just look at our league position.

Shame... as so many have concurred... that what we are seeing with our own eyes is so positive.

In short Spudski, consider that I'm agnostic, Iv'e been promised the 'messiah' or 'changes' several billion times over the last  x number of years both on and off the field.  I will start to believe when the hype and the reality converge and there is sustained consistent progress on and off the field. At present there is not that there.  There have been glimpses and small pockets for sure, I dont think I've ever said other wise, however we have reached a crucial point, where we do actually need results.

It's not an impatience for a revolution or evolution. we have simply reached a point in the season where we start getting a consistent number of wins, 1 win in 2 point something should see us safeish. 1 win in 3 or 4 (which would leave us on 9-12 or so wins for the season) may not  be enough to keep us in this league, Scunny were relegated with 13 wins last year others were relegated win 9 wins. 1 win in 5 ( leaving us on 6 wins) or 0 wins in 10 whatever or else we will be  relegated, that's fact. Ergo we need to start winning, consistently and sharpish and thus far despite all of the talk SO'D has yet to show that he can complete the change. which is a massive worry to those not caught in the zeitgeist. He's noted himself he may not be the man who gets to finish 'the job' if things continue but the plan will remain (something I've long been banging on about) whoever is in charge.

Perhaps i'm prepared to take that one step back to take two forward... and if that means relegation... so be it. It didn't do Swansea any harm in the long run.

Yes... I agree it would be great to get those wins... but if those wins came about because we disregarded our own beliefs and plans, then all that does, is put us back to square one like the past few seasons... playing survival football.

We've changed so many managers over the years... it doesn't work.

So many other Clubs keep doing it as well... look at the state of Sheffield Utd for example.

Yes we've had promises in the past... and they never materialised... but the football on show never looked like it was going to achieve anything either.

At least now those seeds of progress are there for all to see.

Would you rather stay up in this division playing football that won't progress us in the future?

To be frank... with the players we have, I don't think we have the depth or quality for another manager to come in and change it either way...

Who do you think could do a better job than SoD right now that is available?

Do you honestly think someone else coming in could change things so drastically that we would survive and progress under the new guidelines and bring in his backroom staff and scouting system and play his way?

All that manager would do is say 'let me get this season out the way and judge me on next'.... back to square one again...

So, again, this thread follows the line of many others - with people who actually attend the games, understanding and seeing what the potential positives are whilst those who do not regularly attend take a look at the league table, form their opinion based purely on the fact that we currently have a 0 under the "W" column and then harp on about everything that, i totally agree, has been wrong in the past - yet who are actually asking for yet more of the same by demanding SOD out, to be replaced by another short term quick fix, rather than let a bloke who clearly has a plan, method and genuine interest in improving our club, do his thing - even if it isn't all as rosey straight away as we would all like to see.

I think its more frustration with results then critisiam aimed at SoD

Apart from Peterborough who completely outclassed us we've been competitive in most games (league only) and have had some wretched luck,

But I can't but feel its the same onfield problems of the last few seasons still effecting us,

You say that we are doing things differently to other clubs in our division. Yes, but whatever they are doing it is working far better than our master plan.

Judged on what? 10 games. The point the OP is making is based on what will happen over the next 5 years.

It's much harder to produce the evidence of course, cos its in the future. But what I think you can say is that 5 years of constantly changing our manager, our strategy (insofar as we ever had one) and all our players has got us where we are. That's the one reason I'd look back.

I'm equally positive - and not only that I'm enjoying watching City more than I've done for several years.

I would say that most fans are hopeful and largely supportive of what O'Driscoll is saying we are trying to achieve and in that respect are behind him and the club in acheiving this goal. Young, passionate players playing attractive winning football within a sensible budget is hardly something with which people could disagree!

However fans are also nervous about the prospect of another relegation and the negative impact this could have upon the master plan. Relegation would in all likelihood see the players most likely to stand out in the new style of play leave, young promising players choosing other clubs over ourselves and could result in a signifciant set back in the plan that could take many many years to overcome.

This is a valid concern and one which only wins and a climb up the league table will solve.

I am fully supportive of O'Driscoll and his plan. I just really hope that we win a few games sooner or later because the 4th division is not a pretty place to be and we could be there for some time. Clearly the concern is that we a supposidly playing well and not winning, what happens if we start playing badly?!

The uncertainty is however an intrinsic part of football and one of the main reasons it produces highs and lows therefore we have to embrace it!

Great post, sums up my thoughts exactly after listening to the cider diaries podcast. 

The biggest test for us, (apart from obvious one - league) is going to be whether our youth will want to stick it out with us. No doubt, once results start coming our way, which I have no doubt they will, other clubs will be swarming all over the likes of Reid, Bryan & co. Will we sell or not? If we decide not to sell, will the youth threaten to run down their contracts and leave on a free?

Ideally I'd like to see early contract renegotiations with all our promising youth, in a similar vein to what Daniel Levy has done with Luka Modric, Gareth Bale & now Andros Townsend. Get the players continuously signing extensions with only slightly improved terms but the club is protected and can ask for large transfer fees. 

A good positive post Spudski - a sensible summary of what was - and what is.

Yes - I am fed up like many on here with the years of "jam tomorrow" that I have been fed by this club, and the cock-ups it has contiually been made from the board. But in terms of the playing side of things - of course, ignoring our league position - we have started turning a corner. But it is no good us going on harping about went wrong xy years ago, what we should have done etc. - we are now in the here and now, and must move forward in spite of what went wrong before. The club has a clear vision (first time in quite a few years) and we have started down that planned route. 

How quickly and successfully we arrive at the other end is a question no one can answer. But I have no other option that to try to be positive - as my old mum used to tell me as a kid - "it'll all work out alright - you'll see". And she was more often right than wrong!

Archived