IGNORED

Which Ex-City Manager Would You Have Back ?

Major Isewater

I'd reanimate Bob Hewison because he's been in this position before.

He was in charge between 1932 and 1949 during one of the least successful periods in our history, including the 1933/34 season when we went 13 games without a win at the start of the season before battering Cardiff 5-1 at Ninian Park on Remembrance Day.

We finished lower than tenth in the old Division 3 (South) in six of the ten seasons he was in charge and had our record FA Cup defeats (7-1 at Bournemouth) and in the league (9-0 at Coventry) in the space of a few months in 1934.

On the 'bright' side in 1937/38 we finished one point behind Millwall but as only one team was promoted in those days it was another 17 years - six of which were lost to the Second World War - before we got promoted to the second division.

I don't think SO'D will be here in 2030 but reading some of the statements by the board I wouldn't be surprised if he was.

Albeit both games were under John Ward's managership :facepalm:

Haha fair. Egg on my face. My memory clearly isn't what it used to be.

Perhaps my recollection of Benny or assessment of what might or might not have happened is equally unreliable....

I have to admit the MOST attractive football (outside of our 1st division days) was Ward 97/8 season. A fantastic attacking side with so much movement. Spanking goals in from 25 - 30 yards on occassion. I remember:

Welch
Locke
Carey
Taylor - Fantastic solid captain and organiser at the back
Bell
Goodridge - exciting winger
Doherty - hard man
Edwards
Tinnion - midfield maestro
Cramb - seemed to score easily then
Goater - Feed him and he will score

Scotty - I think he was introduced during Wards tenure

Tony Thorpe - scored for fun

(Peter Beadle - I seem to remember him linking up with Thorpe not sure if it was the same season that JW left and Benny took over)

Enjoyable times at the Gate with B Block Atyeo rocking. City f'd it up again though with the Benny appointment and Scott Davidson not telling Ward of the appointment.

The second manager to give me consistent entertainment and made watching BCFC a joy when i was a kid was Fred Ford (60/67 Seasons)

Some great names in the team-

Gibbo - 123 jump

Briggs

Thresher

Parr

Bobby Williams - The shadow

Jantzen Derrick

Gordon Low

Terry Bush

Connor

Sharpe

Tainton - wizard on the wing

and even Ken 'Carthorse' Wimshurst was fun to watch

Big John Atyeo

We had our ups and downs then, but it seemed more ups.

I have been watching City regularly since 94. Too young to remember my brief episodes at the gate before so I would say the best football I have seen played was under Ward and Wilson. Obviously great great times under GJ and even though he didn't play as an attractive style he is the most successful. That said I wouldn't have him back. We should never ever go back.

If I was pushed it would have to be Wilson. For all his failings I think he played the best football I have seen us play on a consistent basis.

Archived