IGNORED

Interesting Article

redad

• SC&T Board Members

Anyone got a scooby who these "influential" people are then?

Mark Ashton is the former CEO of Watford, who was involved at one point here in a consultancy role, assisting, I believe, with transfers. I don't think he's involved any more.

Martin Griffiths is the chairman of Bristol Sport.

So what does the future hold for Bristol City then? With FFP regulations, many clubs in a similar position to us will find it increasingly difficult to ever really push into the Premier League and compete. I fear we have missed the boat in some respects when we lost the play-off final in 2008, because how can a club with small revenue ever realistically compete without the backing of a wealthy investor? Know I now something has to be done about keeping clubs from going to the wall, but surely there must be a better way of making the entire football league fairer. 

I think Andy Stockhausen is right to target the board. If they are performing badly from top to bottom, then they too must be questioned along with the manager. Perhaps it is time for the board to hold it's hands up and offer the club to a group of people who know how to run a football club. The endless PR disasters, ticketing problems, catering shambles, East End issues...it all adds up to being a badly run organisation before a ball is even kicked. It's great the Lansdowns are City fans, but we have had so many mistakes over the past five years that I'm beginning to wonder if it's time to 'look' for a new board. Not for their money (Arab, Americans etc.)....this isn't about money. It's about a new direction for the club behind the scenes as well as on the pitch. 

These five pillars sound wonderful on paper, but to me, it all smacks of 'sustainability' and the basic need for the club to survive. And yes, I understand this is in some regards a necessity, but I'm starting to wonder if the board are ready to accept life in League 2 to maintain that vision.

Mark Ashton is the former CEO of Watford, who was involved at one point here in a consultancy role, assisting, I believe, with transfers. I don't think he's involved any more.

Martin Griffiths is the chairman of Bristol Sport.

Cheers. Seems odd that these 2 had or have so much influence. Hasn't John Lansdown said that Bristol Sport has nothing to do with the running of Bristol City Football Club?

I don't disagree with the vast majority of what you say there Woodsy. especially about SL getting too close to GJ.

I don't think you can blame the board for how SOD is playing the side this season, how are they involved? SOD is now playing a side which he has largely brought in, and he has a larger budget the majority of the sides we face. His "five pillars" are being adhered to.

The vice-chairman has even taken to public radio to try to assure fans that everything is OK. He didn't sound convincing? Maybe he doubts it himself, and who would envy for him having to go before an inquisitor and defend someone else's cack decisions?

Where I'll join the Lansdown out faction is if he allows O'Driscoll to theorise this club away into the 4th Division. Wait too long and you blight a fresh manager's chances (and blight any chance of getting someone decent here). If we wait until Christmas, we might as well keep O'Dismal for the rest of the season. And then axe him. Perferably literally.

I think the problem SOD has is he still has Fontaine, Elliott and Kilkenny (there may be others, but I'm buggered if I can think of them) sucking up a large proportion of his wage bill. So, although I take the point about it being SOD's team, until these 3 are moved on / released in the summer then his options of adding to his squad are limited. I don't think this can truly be SOD's team until this happens - although I'd keep ME, if he wanted to stay, for what it's worth. As for having a larger budget than most, that is obviously true, but we are just entering a new phase in terms of rebuilding, relegation, bringing through the youth etc. A lot of clubs in this godforesaken league either don't have the ambitions that we have (many of which seem like pie in the sky right now) or have been in this phase for a year or two more than us. We all know it won't happen over night and it won't be easy

I'm still in two minds about whether to get shot of SOD. I was fully behind his appointment, and the run towards the back end of last season I put down to the players (along with the fans) giving up, knowing we weren't going to get out of it and we'll just start again. I wasn't happy about relegation, but took the same view as many, in that it may be a good thing in the long term. However, that run has continued, and I don't see it ending any time soon. I was 40 in April, I'm yet to see a City win in my 40s. 21 games. Twentyone*******games. Something has broken somewhere, and it seems like SOD can't fix it. If that is the case then he has to go, simple as that. But how long can we give him to find the fault and fix it? God knows, I really don't have the answers. What I give SOD overwhelming credit for is the youth, how refreshing to see Reid and Bryan doing well, Morrell making his debut and with a clutch of other youngsters chomping at the bit for a chance. On the other hand, and as I said on twitter the other night, and I think you said pretty much the same thing earlier in this thread, rebuilding isn't mutual to another relegation

I'm just annoyed, pissed off, angry, ******* devastated about my football team right now. I swing from blame the board to blame SOD. I want someone to blame, I want someone to give me answers, reassurances. Instead we have SOD walking off from an interview and JL sounding like a lost little boy when interviewed

You know what Robbo, sack the frigging lot of them. How's about me and you give it a shot? We can't do much worse right now

I also agree with the Bard aside from his last sentence that implies it would be a mistake to make footballing managerial changes.  A managerial change doesn't have to mean a ranter is recruited.  The new approach is meant to be one whereby any new recruitment follows the same philosophy and that means an old dinosaur throwing coffee cups in the dressing room isn't likely to be on the short-list. Somebody like Tisdale who is a thinker and has always got on well with Exeter's owners might be an inspired choice. He's probably bring Rob Edwards with him so it would be two ex-players.  Whether he would want a DOF structure is another matter though as he has always recruited well without one.

I think the two issues are linked, poor boardroom management recruited lacklustre footballing management.  Changing the footballing side won't help the former but we might do enough to stay in this division and buy time for either a new owner to come along or for SL to get enthused again.  I think part of SL's distance is that he likes to be mates with the manager hence he was more vocal with  GJ, BT and KM at the helm.   I think if a new manager was someone SL could converse with without interfering then that would renew his enthusiasm.   

I wasn't quite saying that though bcfcnick.  I was speculating on what the motivation might be for those who run the club when it comes to the possibility of removing the manager. Getting someone in the job who they think would take the heat away from them will be at the front of their minds whether they acknowledge it or not.

The distance you mention with our owner/creditor is a physical distance.  He lives in Guernsey and has chosen to because he wants to reduce the amount of tax he pays. When GJ was around he was at the ground all the time.  Both his business and his home were closeby.

I think the problem SOD has is he still has Fontaine, Elliott and Kilkenny (there may be others, but I'm buggered if I can think of them) sucking up a large proportion of his wage bill. So, although I take the point about it being SOD's team, until these 3 are moved on / released in the summer then his options of adding to his squad are limited. I don't think this can truly be SOD's team until this happens - although I'd keep ME, if he wanted to stay, for what it's worth. As for having a larger budget than most, that is obviously true, but we are just entering a new phase in terms of rebuilding, relegation, bringing through the youth etc. A lot of clubs in this godforesaken league either don't have the ambitions that we have (many of which seem like pie in the sky right now) or have been in this phase for a year or two more than us. We all know it won't happen over night and it won't be easy

I'm still in two minds about whether to get shot of SOD. I was fully behind his appointment, and the run towards the back end of last season I put down to the players (along with the fans) giving up, knowing we weren't going to get out of it and we'll just start again. I wasn't happy about relegation, but took the same view as many, in that it may be a good thing in the long term. However, that run has continued, and I don't see it ending any time soon. I was 40 in April, I'm yet to see a City win in my 40s. 21 games. Twentyone*******games. Something has broken somewhere, and it seems like SOD can't fix it. If that is the case then he has to go, simple as that. But how long can we give him to find the fault and fix it? God knows, I really don't have the answers. What I give SOD overwhelming credit for is the youth, how refreshing to see Reid and Bryan doing well, Morrell making his debut and with a clutch of other youngsters chomping at the bit for a chance. On the other hand, and as I said on twitter the other night, and I think you said pretty much the same thing earlier in this thread, rebuilding isn't mutual to another relegation

I'm just annoyed, pissed off, angry, ******* devastated about my football team right now. I swing from blame the board to blame SOD. I want someone to blame, I want someone to give me answers, reassurances. Instead we have SOD walking off from an interview and JL sounding like a lost little boy when interviewed

You know what Robbo, sack the frigging lot of them. How's about me and you give it a shot? We can't do much worse right now

Now you're talking Woodsy! :thumbsup:

I realise that the high wages of some ex-Champs players have hamstrung SOD to a degree, but Fonts will be having some of his paid at Yeovil, and Elliott and maybe (?) Pearson have their uses. We are stuck with all-Australia pointing champ Kilkenny alas.

I don't think this inheritance would have crippled him too much as he does, as we know, still have more cash than many others in L1

TBH I'm really sad it hasn't worked out for Sean here. I really thought he'd be here five years and lay a good foundation for future success. Maybe he has in a way, but unfortunately present lack-of-success means he has to go in my view. And ASAP.

I wasn't quite saying that though bcfcnick.  I was speculating on what the motivation might be for those who run the club when it comes to the possibility of removing the manager. Getting someone in the job who they think would take the heat away from them will be at the front of their minds whether they acknowledge it or not.

The distance you mention with our owner/creditor is a physical distance.  He lives in Guernsey and has chosen to because he wants to reduce the amount of tax he pays. When GJ was around he was at the ground all the time.  Both his business and his home were closeby.

I don't think the distance the owner lives is relevant, frankly. I don't think Man City's owners live in Greater Manchester....

I realise that the high wages of some ex-Champs players have hamstrung SOD to a degree, but Fonts will be having some of his paid at Yeovil, and Elliott and maybe (?) Pearson have their uses. We are stuck with all-Australia pointing champ Kilkenny alas.

I don't think this inheritance would have crippled him too much as he does, as we know, still have more cash than many others in L1

TBH I'm really sad it hasn't worked out for Sean here. I really thought he'd be here five years and lay a good foundation for future success. Maybe he has in a way, but unfortunately present lack-of-success means he has to go in my view. And ASAP.

Who comes in though? I really don't see anyone coming in and doing much better right now, very much half empty for me

Not read the H*lloway thread, that is exactly the sort of manager we need to steer away from. Tisdale I guess, but I don't think that fills me with much excitement

God knows, can I just not be a fan any more? I'm going to list all clubs, outside the Prem, R*vers and C*rdiff, include the Skrill Premier and pick a new team....give me two mins and I'll let you know who I now support.........good lord, Blackburn Rovers. Can't do that, has Rovers in the name and play in blue and white, I'll have another go.............**** me, Swindon, they can piss right off.........third time lucky........Milton Keynes Dons....ok, I'm stuck with City. FML

Funnily enough of all that deadwood, he fancied Kilkenny and said as much and played him early in the season. He's presumably worked out in 6 months what we all knew about Kilkenny.

Not that I'm suggesting Sean couldn't spot a bad player if he was pointing and shouting at him.

Actually, thinking about it, that was a pretty good Kilkenny impression SOD did at the end of his interview - lots of arm waiving and a tantrum.

Who comes in though? I really don't see anyone coming in and doing much better right now, very much half empty for me

Not read the H*lloway thread, that is exactly the sort of manager we need to steer away from. Tisdale I guess, but I don't think that fills me with much excitement

God knows, can I just not be a fan any more? I'm going to list all clubs, outside the Prem, R*vers and C*rdiff, include the Skrill Premier and pick a new team....give me two mins and I'll let you know who I now support.........good lord, Blackburn Rovers. Can't do that, has Rovers in the name and play in blue and white, I'll have another go.............**** me, Swindon, they can piss right off.........third time lucky........Milton Keynes Dons....ok, I'm stuck with City. FML

:laughcont:

At least I have a "bit on the side" with my part-time support for AFC Wimbledon. But it's turned to sh!t there too.

Like I said elsewhere, any manager who comes will be a throw of the dice - a gamble. All the ones I can think of have downsides as well as upsides. However I think we need to get a fresh pair of managerial eyes in, because Sean will take us down.

If another manager continues the youth policy and keeps us up, I'll be happy. Whoever it is.

I'm not speculating. I've talked to club officials who knew the man, and other more clued up sports journalists.

Can't you see that that whole article is part of the Stockhausen's whole "distract attention away from my new friend Sean" blog offensive?

And I'd like to ask the Lansdown-is-to-blame theorists, what precisely do you expect the board to do - other than sack the head coach - to influence the dire results on the pitch this season?

Blimey... I've taken some right abuse from others regarding this.

I don't doubt the people you've spoken too...and what they've told you.

I just choose to believe what I've heard from Steve himself.

I've been fortunate or unfortunate enough ( depends how you look at it ) to meet various Managers and players through social circles and work. I was also very close to some agents in the past through relations.

I don't pretend to know lots...but i'll speak out when I know things are different to how they seem or have been reported.

Thanks for at least being civil in the matter... that's cool.

Blimey... I've taken some right abuse from others regarding this.

I don't doubt the people you've spoken too...and what they've told you.

I just choose to believe what I've heard from Steve himself.

I've been fortunate or unfortunate enough ( depends how you look at it ) to meet various Managers and players through social circles and work. I was also very close to some agents in the past through relations.

I don't pretend to know lots...but i'll speak out when I know things are different to how they seem or have been reported.

Thanks for at least being civil in the matter... that's cool.

Cheers Spud. Don't get me wrong: I respect your input. Your posts are always well argued - even when I disagree with you!

I suppose we'll have to trust our own sources. Coppell would have a vested interest in talking down anything embarrassingly personal to him; the club have a vested interest in making out he flipped.

For reasons I've mentioned, we Robbos have a close association with the club and still have contacts there.

Was I being fed a line? I wonder if Coppout had an explanation to you about his Man City flit? No lack of funds there for him...

• Admin

Sorry if this has already been answered, not read the whole thread yet.

Who is Mark Ashton and Martin Griffiths is the Bristol Sport bloke isn't he?? I thought JL said in the last week or so Bristol Sport are nothing to do with the running of BCFC?

Interesting point, the below is copied from http://www.ziderheads.co.uk/ch/index.php?/topic/1059-an-article-all-city-fans-must-read/

Sorry to keep banging on about Bristol Sports role at Bristol City but-

'Confronted by a board with no clear definition, he did not know who to confide in and who to go to for help. If he wanted to ask for money to sign a player, or to sit down and chat about team affairs, should he go to the new chairman, Keith Dawe, or managing director Jon Lansdown? Should he talk to board members Doug Harman and Ernie Arathoon or trust in Mark Ashton and Martin Griffiths, men who were becoming increasingly influential behind the scenes?'

Martin Griffths remember is head of Bristol Sport, Jon Lansdown said last week that Bristol sport was there for advice only. Why would Griffiths have a senior enough role at the club to be considered by  a manager (Mcinnes at the time)to go to if he needed to talk about the squad if Bristol Sport are there for advice only for the board?

Lansdown quote from last week:

'To imply that Bristol Sport Ltd runs, owns or directs Bristol City FC in some way is wholly inaccurate. It does not. It is simply available as a source of advice and assistance if called upon.'

Link to my thread on bristol sport:

http://www.ziderhead...-bristol-sport/

Are we basically in some form of self imposed administration wherby bristol sport are our administrators?

Interesting point, the below is copied from http://www.ziderheads.co.uk/ch/index.php?/topic/1059-an-article-all-city-fans-must-read/

Sorry to keep banging on about Bristol Sports role at Bristol City but-

'Confronted by a board with no clear definition, he did not know who to confide in and who to go to for help. If he wanted to ask for money to sign a player, or to sit down and chat about team affairs, should he go to the new chairman, Keith Dawe, or managing director Jon Lansdown? Should he talk to board members Doug Harman and Ernie Arathoon or trust in Mark Ashton and Martin Griffiths, men who were becoming increasingly influential behind the scenes?'

Martin Griffths remember is head of Bristol Sport, Jon Lansdown said last week that Bristol sport was there for advice only. Why would Griffiths have a senior enough role at the club to be considered by  a manager (Mcinnes at the time)to go to if he needed to talk about the squad if Bristol Sport are there for advice only for the board?

Lansdown quote from last week:

'To imply that Bristol Sport Ltd runs, owns or directs Bristol City FC in some way is wholly inaccurate. It does not. It is simply available as a source of advice and assistance if called upon.'

Link to my thread on bristol sport:

http://www.ziderhead...-bristol-sport/

Are we basically in some form of self imposed administration wherby bristol sport are our administrators?

I'm, surprised more people haven't picked up on it TBH.

After reading those 2 names in that article, I have to say I've no idea what is going on at the club. Seems like the blind leading the blind to me.

A blind board and 1D in charge of team affairs.

Augurs well for the future, doesn't it?

Well managers know now. You want a player or something to do with the team then you goto the director of football.

Using Bristol Sport also make sense, a club with limited budget cannot afford lawyers, solicitors well to be honest the dozens of professionals that a professional clubs need on occasions... just hanging around on your payroll. So having consultancy group that you trust and able to do that work for you make the clubs life a lot easier.

Archived