IGNORED

Does Jet Have An On/off Switch?

Bazooka Joe

JET is a bit of an enigma.

He occasionally plays like a superstar and is unstoppable.

At other times he is disconnected, disinterested and anonymous.

We need him to consistently play well.

He seems to have some kind of on/off switch.

The challenge for the manager is to find which of JET's buttons to press to get him to play well every game.

Anyone have an idea why he was so up for it in the second half yesterday?

The challenge for the manager is to find which of JET's buttons to press to get him to play well every game.

Does anyone have any idea why he seemed so up for it in the second half yesterday?

He's the Matt Le Tissier of League One.

Not sure he changes much from game to game TBH. I just think sometimes what he tries comes off other times it doesn't.

Look at the ball for Wagstaffs goal, if that doesn't find him, hits a defender or goes out of play, it will be called extravagant and giving the ball away. Sometimes when he's at virtual walking pace with the ball at his feet, if he gets tackled he's lazy, if he drops his shoulder, beats his man and screams it in the top corner, he's a genius.

Just the way he is I reckon, enjoy it while it lasts.

I don't think its to do with him having on off days. It about the team around him providing him with the right opportunities. Yesterday in the second half, we did that. If we could do it more often, we will fire up the league.

My question would be, where does baldock fit in if Taylor proved to be a good asset up front yesterday?

Anyone have an idea why he was so up for it in the second half yesterday?the answer is in your question.if he was consistant and more mobile he wouldent be here.maybe we could try superglueing the "on" botton in the "on" position!.an enigma he will surely remain. 

Not sure he changes much from game to game TBH. I just think sometimes what he tries comes off other times it doesn't.

Look at the ball for Wagstaffs goal, if that doesn't find him, hits a defender or goes out of play, it will be called extravagant and giving the ball away. Sometimes when he's at virtual walking pace with the ball at his feet, if he gets tackled he's lazy, if he drops his shoulder, beats his man and screams it in the top corner, he's a genius.

Just the way he is I reckon, enjoy it while it lasts.

Reckon you're right Glyn.

Questions are:

Does he have enough games where it comes off to justify a starting place?

Is his (undoubted) individual ability worth more to the team over a season than the sum off parts of a team with a more consistent/conventional player?

I don't know the answers and it must be tough for SOD. Can't have been much in it between selecting JET or Baldock yesterday. Neither has produced the goods in the last few games, yet look at the result.....

I'm pretty sure it tells us that we are only able to play one of them. When things aren't going well they are two luxury players and not many teams can cope with that.

Quite simply, if he played like that more often then he would not be playing for us.

People need to accept that players are human and have good and bad days.

The less bad days a player has, the higher the level they get too.

Exactly.

He tries things others can't even think of trying - difficult things that occasionally come off but mostly don't. If his ratio of things tricks working successfully was higher, then, as others have said, he'd be playing for a Champ or Prem team. He'd be a Bergkamp. When they don't come off, he gets tutted at, but if he stopped doing them, we'd be 9 goals worse off (or however many he's scored).

Personally, I think we either accept that more than 50% of the time his dinks and dunks won't work, but he's worth sticking with as - at this rate - he'll score near enough 20 goals and keep us up single-handedly. And we could have said that before yesterday's game, too.

Take someone like Marv - he, equally, tries things that do or don't work, only the things he tries are running around, getting stuck in and tackllng, you know, those cornerstones of British/northern European football. When one of these things he tries doesn't come off - he misses a tackle or doesn't run fast enough to get somewhere before an opponent - we might moan some of us, but it gets less airtime than when one of JET's failures is highlighted.

Doing 'standard' things like running and heading are easier to perform consistently than trick your way past two or three players or score from the edge of the box.

I like watching him play, I'm trying hard to accept he will not succeed for 90 mins in every game...because without him we'd be a lot, lot worse.

Questions are:

Is his (undoubted) individual ability worth more to the team over a season than the sum off parts of a team with a more consistent/conventional player?

I don't know the answers and it must be tough for SOD. Can't have been much in it between selecting JET or Baldock yesterday. Neither has produced the goods in the last few games, yet look at the result.....

I'm pretty sure it tells us that we are only able to play one of them. When things aren't going well they are two luxury players and not many teams can cope with that.

Well put.

I don't think JET and Baldrick can play together either. If we were putting chances on a plate for Baldy, then maybe, but without wingers that's unlikely. I'd rather see Taylor up top at the moment, or Harewood, and then someone feeding off that, be it JET or Baldo. It was a big call for SoD yesterday and praise where it's due, he got that call right.

Maybe if/when we start to play with a few wins under our belts then a front line of JET and Baldie might work, but till then they may need rotating or sticking with JET.

Questions are:

Don't kmow either mate, but I'd rather have him on the pitch for as long as possible. There will be games when he will get subbed because it's just not happening, but as a manager I'd give him every chance.

He's our magician, the one player who can work a bit of magic. Finding his perfect partner is the problem. It doesn't appear to be Balders, who's not strong enough or big enough to occupy defenders to allow the space for JET to work in. It could be Taylor but his lack of goals maybe a problem longer term. If only we could find a Ricky Lambert or Grant Holt type who will do a lot of donkey work and chip in with a few goals as well.

Edit, should have said a Robbie Turner type  :facepalm:

Quite simply, if he played like that more often then he would not be playing for us.

People need to accept that players are human and have good and bad days.

The less bad days a player has, the higher the level they get too.

I wish old "Bar" had said that about me, coupla weeks ago. Then I needn't have spent weeks feeling sorry for myself.

That is lovely, "Bar," a thoughtful, considerate and astute assessment of our gifted goalscorer and hero yesterday

Finding the right position for him has been the issue IMO.

Against Brentford he was wide left and pretty ineffective. He's played deeper in other games as well. I'm not sure where he started yesterday but scoring 3 goals could be an indication as to where he should play against Oldham.

I think it is what you have to accept with JET, he will be terrific some games and awful the next.

He can win us games on his own, and fortunately he isn't in the position to loose us games (apart from the corner yesterday).

Therefore I'd rather have him in the team than an average player who won't win us games, but won't let us down.

However we could only have 1 player like that.

Anyone have an idea why he was so up for it in the second half yesterday?

Your answer would be - he is a League 1 player.

If he was constantly 'on' do you think he would be here with us in this division?

Not trying to be pedantic, but I think part of our fanbase seem to think our players should be better. That isn't the case otherwise we'd be competing at a much higher level.

Plenty have potential, but consistency is the key issue and not the quality.

If we come to the conclusion that JET does, in fact, have an on/ off switch, I think we can all agree that it was "on" yesterday, second half. So my suggestion is, if it's "on," leave it, yeah? Nobody bloody switch it off! And check it, like, just before a game, ffs.

And so, to SOD: does he have an on/off switch, if that's not a stupid question? If so, it would seem he, or someone, flicked it to "off" after the game. Should it be left on "off" for a bit?

And finally, myself: I have an on/ off switch. And I now switch it to "off

Questions are:

With 10 goals and 8 assists in the terrible start we've had this season, I can't see any possible answer other than yes to that one!

I know the same question was asked about the mighty Jackie years ago and much as it pains me to say, he qualified far more as a luxury player than JET.  Although Jackie was an entertainer and could turn on the magic, imho he generally effected the game less and certainly weighed in with less goals.  

I for one would rather see our team with a flair player like JET in there, rather than 11 triers, who work hard, but will never produce that bit of magic that can unlock a defence like JET can.  

Let's just thank our lucky stars that we've got him, because I doubt if it will be for very long, so let's enjoy the ride while we can! 

Haven't seen much football this season so that's probably why I still have more faith in SOD than most.

What does strike me though, R*vers being the classic example, is without him in terms of final product we'd be even more ******.

Said after Coventry don't think Baldock has anymore to him than poaching but JET is an extremist that's for sure, and one we ******* need r

Archived