IGNORED

Made My Day

Bert's City

I must have been very young when Tinnion was playing and therefore didn't see him play, how good was he?

Depends who you ask - some (and a very minute amount) will say he wasn't that good. Most will say how good he was, his cultured left peg, his vision, just an all round excellent player. Scotty scored 26 goals from the wing one season - be interesting to know just how many of those came from an assist from Tinnion, spraying a crossfield ball right into the exact spot Scotty wanted it. In a nutshell, he was, and is, a living legend at the Gate

That left foot was one of a kind.

His partnership with the likes of Bell, Doc, Murray et al. brought some great moments to the gate and away from home!

Will never forget his 500th game away at Notts County with Goodfellow heading in Tins' cross for a late winner; class.

I must have been very young when Tinnion was playing and therefore didn't see him play, how good was he?

Possibly the most one-footed player to have ever played for us, luckily that one foot contained more talent than the vast majority of players summon up with both.

Whilst one second wasting valuable time almost doing a pirouette to get the ball onto his left foot, he would send the most perfectly weighted through ball for the forwards to run onto the next.

His time at Ashton Gate started slowly, with much of the crowd groaning whenever he got the ball, but he became more and more important to the side, culminating in the one season that he struck up a perfect partnership with Scott Murray. A crossfield ball from the left for Scott to run onto from the right wing before cutting inside and shooting. Possibly the best combination of two players individual talents I've ever seen, repeated time and again.

He had many faults, the reliance on the left foot, a lack of pace and not a lot of defending, but he had control, a good footballing brain and knew his limits,meaning he rarely lost the ball trying things he wasn't capable of.

I'm not sure he deserves 'legend' status, as I feel it's a title that should only be bestowed upon very few exceptional talents, but he certainly ranks in the upper echelons of the players I've seen in my time supporting City.

Made a whole host of left backs by good use of the ball on the overlap.  Also made Scott Murray by the raking ball from left to right inside the full back.  Bloody awful crosser, although may will say he was great, bloody awful free kick and corner taker,although many will also say he was great.  The stats and what I witnessed will never back that up.

For me, his best football came when played deep and central.  he did have a wand of a left foot when it wasn't from crossing positions.  But it is fair to say I think he wasn't that ambitious.  For league 1 level he was a class above and we have never really replaced him.  But he was massively over hyped truth be told.  That said Beckhamesque across pitch balls were the norm, the ball that JET it for wagstaff he would perform 2 or 3 times each match, not a season.

Possibly the most one-footed player to have ever played for us, luckily that one foot contained more talent than the vast majority of players summon up with both. Whilst one second wasting valuable time almost doing a pirouette to get the ball onto his left foot, he would send the most perfectly weighted through ball for the forwards to run onto the next. His time at Ashton Gate started slowly, with much of the crowd groaning whenever he got the ball, but he became more and more important to the side, culminating in the one season that he struck up a perfect partnership with Scott Murray. A crossfield ball from the left for Scott to run onto from the right wing before cutting inside and shooting. Possibly the best combination of two players individual talents I've ever seen, repeated time and again. He had many faults, the reliance on the left foot, a lack of pace and not a lot of defending, but he had control, a good footballing brain and knew his limits,meaning he rarely lost the ball trying things he wasn't capable of. I'm not sure he deserves 'legend' status, as I feel it's a title that should only be bestowed upon very few exceptional talents, but he certainly ranks in the upper echelons of the players I've seen in my time supporting City.

Agree with most of the above, I would also add he made the side a little one dimensional in that there seemed an over reliance on him dictating pace but left us with no plan B.

Still, one of the recent problems has been a seeming lack of leaders and truly BCFC players. Identity and icon has been thin. There was none of that when the likes of Tinman were out there.

When he settled in,very good.He sprayed accurate cross field passes often just behind the opposition back four that Scotty would run onto and usually score from.

He lacked the pace to make it in the big time but was an intelligent and stylish player.

Towards the end of his career he would spend most of the game in and around the centre circle directing the game like an onfield coach. During this period he showed some of the best passing skills #i have seen from any City player in my time watching, he could drop it on a sixpence from 50 yards. Very Glen Hoddle like.

It did annoy me that somebody who trained as a footballer for 20 odd years couldn't kick it with his right foot, even I could take a corner with both feet after a little practice with the left.

All said and done though a great player to watch and after a bit of a dodgy start to his City career once he had scored a vital penalty against the Gas, he became a firm favourite with most.

I believe it was Chris Kamara, although I could be wrong, but certainly one of the Soccer Saturday pundits said something along the lines of Tinnion wasted his career at Bristol City and could, and should, have played at a much higher level. I believe it was in an article referring to the best players outside the Premier League... Will do some digging see if I can find it.

One of the best I've seen in 52 years at the Gate. Would walk into my all-time City Greats.

There have been times when I've come away convinced that he hit a right footed pass, and seen on the highlights that it was with the outside of his left foot. Pure, pure class :city:

A sign of a good player is the ability to find space when others cannot. This is something I always remember about Tinnion( playing centrally). Always seemed to have time on the ball. His left foot was as good as I have seen at the Gate, if not the best. I think if you spoke to a certain Mr Murray, he would be happy to tell you how Tinnions left foot helped him towards such a fantastic goal return. Really enjoyed watching that team under Wilson, we played some good stuff and worked hard. Tinnion was like a fine red wine, he got better with age IMO.

"In my view, Bristol City should have extreme ammounts of appreciation and gratefulness for his extreme ammounts of loyalty and faithfulness. Even though you wont find a worse right foot in the game, you wont find a better left foot either! Tinnion could easily be strutting his stuff against the best players on the biggest stages if it wasn't for his love and commitment to Bristol City, he probably should have been for around a decade of years. This county has been crying out for a quality left peg for god knows how many years, the answer laid with Brian Tinnion all along but he spent far to long enduring the lower leagues season after season at one club. I understand he tasted top flight action at the start of his career with Newcastle, how he hasn't managed to show what he can do at the highest level again since is beyond me. When I was in charge at Bradford I was emphatically urged to re-sign Tinnion because he was seen as the best set-piece taker they ever had there and scored spectacular goals, I understand Liam Brady was watching him when he was Celtic manager, everybody was telling me he was the best outside the Premier League. I didn't think I stood much chance because Glenn Hoddle and Bryan Robson both wanted him at Chelsea and Middlesborough repectively. In my view, a waste of talent in the game, although Bristol City fans should violently disagree with me because he's been their key player since he first arrived, the main reason for being a waste of talent is because he spent most of his career at left back or left wing when his ability deserved better (midfield). I don't know if I know of a more underrated and underachieving player because you wont see much better in terms of passing and crossing."

I think this is what Chris Kamara said

Tinman was a class act, and he and Scotty are my two favourite all-time City players. We were privileged to watch them in the same team for a number of years. What I loved about Tinnion was his passion for the club - he really cared about Bristol City (and still does), and showed that every time he was on the pitch. Add to that his brilliant range of passing, and some memorable goals - an all-round hero to me throughout my teens. Paul Hartley was the only other central midfielder I've watched at City who was in the same league. 

I was at Notts County at his 500th game and that was a special day, with him setting up a last minute winner - great scenes at the end of that game.

Love the bloke. I have a photo of me in his match shirt before the Colchester game in 03/04. Won 1-0 and I think he may have got MOM in that game. That made my day too. I also managed to get a photo with him after the Gerry Gow testimonial.

Yes he played a large majority of his career at L1 level but I'm convinced, like many others, he could've played higher. He remains, to a generation of city fans, a shining light in all those years of 3rd tier football. So many happy memories. And the Tinnion / Bell and Tinnion / Murray combos were a joy to watch.

Over 500 games, some beautiful goals, some unbelievable passes and no end of passion. Definitely in my top 3.

Archived