IGNORED

Best Away Performance You've Seen At The Gate

Major Isewater

There is lots of talk of the famous day when we were outclassed by The mighty Doncaster SOD ,JET and all but which is the best away performance you've ever seen at the Gate ?

For me it was Cloughies Forest,they had come up as champions of the second division and we were already established in the First division but they played us off the pitch.

I know in recent years we ve been soundly beaten ,ahem ,once or twice but this was a tough workmanlike City team who where a difficult prospect for any opposition Forest just turned up,formed a line of honour to clap us onto the pitch (unheard of in those days) and proceeded to take us apart.

Magnificent football from a genius of a manager.3-0 Forest,football lesson given, not just to us i add,we all know the rest ,champions,european cup winners,league cup ...

What a team that was.

Got to agree, Forest were unbelievable, Robertson & Woodcock in particular, what Clough achieved with basically average players must be one of the greatest achievements ever in the English game, over a 2 season period i seem to remember he went 42 games unbeaten, a record at the time.   

There is lots of talk of the famous day when we were outclassed by The mighty Doncaster SOD ,JET and all but which is the best away performance you've ever seen at the Gate ?

For me it was Cloughies Forest,they had come up as champions of the second division and we were already established in the First division but they played us off the pitch.

I know in recent years we ve been soundly beaten ,ahem ,once or twice but this was a tough workmanlike City team who where a difficult prospect for any opposition Forest just turned up,formed a line of honour to clap us onto the pitch (unheard of in those days) and proceeded to take us apart.

Magnificent football from a genius of a manager.3-0 Forest,football lesson given, not just to us i add,we all know the rest ,champions,european cup winners,league cup ...

Newcastle Utd in one of the cups,when Keegan was in charge.tuesday night game,they had Ginola and Gillespie playing and we played pretty well or as well as we could against a side playing such class football..i have a distant recollection of Keegan saying that was the most complete all round display he had seen from his team..  

City lost 0-1 to Arsenal in the (relegation) season of 79/80. City were not poor or particularly outplayed that day and, being early in the season, were going reasonably well and thoughts of relegation were not on the agenda at the time. The difference was the most complete one man show I have ever seen at AG (certainly considering the fact that this was the top flight) by Liam Brady. Top player, got a brilliant sporting reception from the crowd at the end, despite the defeat.

Gerry Gow said Brady was the best player he ever played against.

Got to agree, Forest were unbelievable, Robertson & Woodcock in particular, what Clough achieved with basically average players must be one of the greatest achievements ever in the English game, over a 2 season period i seem to remember he went 42 games unbeaten, a record at the time.   

I remember that we were at our most vulnerable in that game when WE had a corner! They played breakaway football like it was "blitzkrieg". I think they scored one goal within 20 seconds of us getting a corner. 

I think in that season we also got tonked by spurs, it was in the ice and snow and although Hoddle and Ardiles were playing, Ricky Villa ran the game, tiptoeing his way around the pitch.

Didn't get to see this game, but saw them a couple of years later at home in the League Cup when they were "just" current European Cup holders.  Would be lying if I said I recalled much about the match, but took a look at my history book, and their forward line was fairly impressive:  Francis, Woodcock and Birtles.  Still, it was 1-1 on the night.

Ajax in that friendly. Ended up 4 0 but they could have scored countless more if they wanted. A truly massive gulf in class

Evander Sno was man of the match and got applauded off the pitch, but for me young Louis Suarez was the star of the show, particularly when diving to the floor and then being angrily pulled to his feet by Paul Hartley, who had to be restrained from ringing his scrawny little neck.

I'd also say Reading when they stuck 4 past us, you could see the quality they showed.

They made us look like boys that day!! Didn't Cisse score that day?

They did, and Cisse did score, and set another up, but I remember us nearly scoring before all 4 of their goals. They were very effective on the counter attack, or rather we were very ineffective defensively. Nothing really changes...... http://espnfc.com/gamecast?id=242609&cc=5739

And Stern John scored one of his two goals for us!

54'

• Kalifa Cisse hits an impressive right footed shot. Outcome: goal

54'

• Marcus Hahnemann makes an outstanding save (Catch)

53'

• Stern John hits a good left footed shot. Outcome: save

14'

• Kevin Doyle hits a good right footed shot. Outcome: goal

14'

• Marcus Hahnemann takes a long goal kick

14'

• Ivan Sproule crosses the ball. Outcome: out of play

Who was it came down here, about 1982, long haired fella and big, rubbery lips up front, bags of energy, he was everywhere, ran the show. And the old fella at the back, controlling the rhythm, the tempo. Class. And the 'gypo' looking one, what was he on?! They got a standing ovation at the end, and we even asked for more! There was a funny smell in the changing rooms that day, not the usual whiff of muscle rub and what have you, as I recall it. Was quite glad, in all honesty, TC decided not to sign any of them, despite their brilliant performance that day. Not really to my liking, that sort

Who was it came down here, about 1982, long haired fella and big, rubbery lips up front, bags of energy, he was everywhere, ran the show. And the old fella at the back, controlling the rhythm, the tempo. Class. And the 'gypo' looking one, what was he on?! They got a standing ovation at the end, and we even asked for more! There was a funny smell in the changing rooms that day, not the usual whiff of muscle rub and what have you, as I recall it. Was quite glad, in all honesty, TC decided not to sign any of them, despite their brilliant performance that day. Not really to my liking, that sort

Yes, I'm glad we never had that Billy Graham mob back again. They we're a nightmare!

Yes, I'm glad we never had that Billy Graham mob back again. They we're a nightmare!

They "Always believed," that lot! Blimey, yes, them too. Billy Graham FC. What a performance! Knew how to coin it in, that old boy. Tried to entice him onto the board, but he disappeared sharpish, before I could show him the "potential"

Evander Sno was man of the match and got applauded off the pitch, but for me young Louis Suarez was the star of the show, particularly when diving to the floor and then being angrily pulled to his feet by Paul Hartley, who had to be restrained from ringing his scrawny little neck.

Huge pity that. It would have been a service to football...

Archived