IGNORED

Best Away Performance You've Seen At The Gate

Major Isewater

There is lots of talk of the famous day when we were outclassed by The mighty Doncaster SOD ,JET and all but which is the best away performance you've ever seen at the Gate ?

For me it was Cloughies Forest,they had come up as champions of the second division and we were already established in the First division but they played us off the pitch.

I know in recent years we ve been soundly beaten ,ahem ,once or twice but this was a tough workmanlike City team who where a difficult prospect for any opposition Forest just turned up,formed a line of honour to clap us onto the pitch (unheard of in those days) and proceeded to take us apart.

Magnificent football from a genius of a manager.3-0 Forest,football lesson given, not just to us i add,we all know the rest ,champions,european cup winners,league cup ...

What a team that was.

Stan collymore tore us a new one .... never mind the rest of the forest team.

Yeah, My initial reaction was that 4-1 defeat to Forrest, although in fairness it was probably the best individual performance I've seen at the gate, from Stan Collymore, rather than best team performance.

Stan collymore tore us a new one .... never mind the rest of the forest team.

Certainly the best individual performance i have seen at AG in a competitive game. Always remember that game in 1993 as we played West brom away the previous day! Not sure what managers today would think of that!!

Phil Kite was in goal that night and should have been sent off for handling outside of the are as was a blatant foul. We got spackered and the some,  the return leg we only lost 3-1 and Darren Huckerby played one of his very few games for Newcastle iirc

Didn't Agostino give us the lead in the second match............the comeback was on! ;-)

Yeah, My initial reaction was that 4-1 defeat to Forrest, although in fairness it was probably the best individual performance I've seen at the gate, from Stan Collymore, rather than best team performance.

I agree, he was fantastic that day.

I remember ( I think it was) Fulham coming down in the 90's and beating us 4-0, they got a standing ovation at the end.

Stan Collymore has to be the best individual performance.

Swansea is a reasonable shout for team as can't think of many others off top of my head. Even the 6-0 to Cardiff was more down to bad defending whereas Swansea were just superb.

I was in the East End that day (boxing day?) and after we equalized (Rob Edwards?)  - we started to give Collymore a load of stick, so he just upped his game a notch, and one hat-trick later, they were walking away with their win.

1970(?), Oxford took the lead after two minutes and then scored three more as they bossed the game throughout.

Going way back in the club's history; Crewe were a non league team and City were a strong League team. Alex came to AG in the Cup and won 3-1.

I was in the East End that day (boxing day?) and after we equalized (Rob Edwards?)  - we started to give Collymore a load of stick, so he just upped his game a notch, and one hat-trick later, they were walking away with their win.

I remember him picking up a few coins thrown from the open end.

Real Mallorca, pre season friendly about 12-15 years ago. 

A young Samuel Eto'o made mince meat out of poor Louis.  Finished 5-0 I believe.

Or

1-0 up at HT v Wolves, 98-99 season.

Full time 1-6.  David Connolly bagged 4 as a sub.  That really was a second half bumming, on the back of a 5-0 thrashing at a Peter Beagrie inspired Bradford.

Good old Benny.  Never got through many caps, that chap.

Archived