IGNORED

Simon Gillett

Kid in the Riot

Haven't seen a specific topic on him, but thought he was one of the few positives yesterday along with Williams.

He looked classy in possession and moved the ball about quickly. He gave us something we've been lacking in most home performances - a bit of urgency.

He was terribly unlucky that his lunging tackle led to the ball being given away for Oldham's goal, but good to see him getting stuck in nevertheless.

Other than that he gave the ball away once I think on the half way line. Also incredibly won a header against one of their 6ft midfielders!

Must start on Tuesday - in for Elliott for me.

Finally, how good was Oldham's no. 6 Tarkowski? Owned Taylor all afternoon and played a 60 yard crossfield pass off his laces in the first half, perfectly finding his man on the wing. 20 years old, no wonder there's rumours of Man U being interested...

Haven't seen a specific topic on him, but thought he was one of the few positives yesterday along with Williams.

He looked classy in possession and moved the ball about quickly. He gave us something we've been lacking in most home performances - a bit of urgency.

He was terribly unlucky that his lunging tackle led to the ball being given away for Oldham's goal, but good to see him getting stuck in nevertheless.

Other than that he gave the ball away once I think on the half way line. Also incredibly won a header against one of their 6ft midfielders!

Finally, how good was Oldham's no. 6 Tarkowski? Owned Taylor all afternoon and played a 60 yard crossfield pass off his laces in the first half, perfectly finding his man on the wing. 20 years old, no wonder there's rumours of Man U being interested...

Looked good when he came on, with you on how unlucky with the tackle that lead to Oldhams goal.

Hope he starts Tuesday as well, will give a bit more bite in midfield.

Oldhams number 14 Clarke-Harris, dominated up top yesterday, oldhams best player by far!

He did ok, but hit the top of the Atyeo with a free kick (has it ever been done before?!) and got rinsed by the entire crowd for it, dived and also mis-controlled the ball out for a GK in front of the EE. Tarkowski did nothing wrong as far as I saw and their defence only got undone by an excellent move from us

Oldhams number 14 Clarke-Harris, dominated up top yesterday, oldhams best player by far!

Yes he was quite dangerous.

Did anyone notice the black guy in Oldham's defence?  I thought he was very good.  He was big, strong, composed on the ball and brought it out of defence well.  He's the sort of player I'd always hoped we'd sign.

Was surprised at how small he was, then the first thing he did was leap a thousand feet in the air and win a header. Thought his passing was neat and tidy, but more importantly a faster tempo than our other midfielder players. Maybe him and pack with Reid just ahead of them with Bryan left and wagstaff right... Then Jet upfront.. As he is by far our best player at holding up ball with his sticky get... So why not use it to greater effect.

Funny how people see the game differently, i didnt even see him touch the ball when he came on

I thought Gillett looked ok, at least he looked like he was trying to battle for everything even jumping and winning almost impossible headers. Looked like he could organise a bit too. He was the right player to put on, but not the right sub to make if you know what I mean. Taking Taylor off forced us to make another one soon after when we conceded and then looked toothless up front.

I personally would start him with Reid on Tuesday. Probably bring Bryan back on the left. Gillett will be a decent addition for sure.

As for Tarkowski, very impressive. Certainly won't be at Oldham for long that's for sure.

I personally would start him with Reid on Tuesday. Probably bring Bryan back on the left. Gillett will be a decent addition for sure.

As for Tarkowski, very impressive. Certainly won't be at Oldham for long that's for sure.

Would be surprised to see Reid start on Tuesday. SOD has said on a number of occasions he struggles to play Saturday, Tuesday, Saturday.

Would be surprised to see Reid start on Tuesday. SOD has said on a number of occasions he struggles to play Saturday, Tuesday, Saturday.

Sorry but you have to be fit enough in this day and age of being a professional footballer.

Good point.

I appreciate the need for caution with him but he should still be able to play Saturday and Tuesday with ease. Unless of course there is an underlying reason?

A lot of good goes through Reid. His drive and energy is very important to us at present, even if he does show his inexperience at times.

I too thought Gillett had an okay showing. Whether that was because I've come to the conclusion that the rest of our players,  in particular Pack, Elliott, Flint and Wagstaff are just utter crap, or on his own merit I have no idea. What I did like is that he could pass decisively both quickly and accurately and MOVED INTO SPACE!

Do feel he will lack a physical presence that might be needed against certain teams at this level however.

Yes he was quite dangerous.

Did anyone notice the black guy in Oldham's defence?  I thought he was very good.  He was big, strong, composed on the ball and brought it out of defence well.  He's the sort of player I'd always hoped we'd sign.

First half i thought Bobby Reid ruined him, thought he looked awful, got to admit i didn't notice him much second half though

I thought Gillett had a very good debut. Used the ball very well, always available and willing to get stuck in. For me he should definitely start on Tuesday. The black lad at the back for Oldham was signed from Basel and was a Swiss under 21 international and now represents Angola. The winger who scored the goal, Dayton, was at Killie with Johnson and always looked decent. I was surprised he didn't get a Championship club when he left the SPFL.

Although we were poor you have to also credit Johnson's Oldham, I thought they looked a decent outfit.

Funny how people see the game differently, i didnt even see him touch the ball when he came on

Agree with this in the respect that we didn't really see enough of him to make a huge comment, he played a few passes but didn't look like he could dribble round half the Oldham defence. We shall see however.

Archived