IGNORED

It's Quiet On Here Tonight

Big Nose

God this forum !

Heres my take first half we were rubbish the odd flash of decent football against the mighty D&R, second half was much better and we grew in confidence. JET has proved again he is a class above the rest (when he chooses too).

The truth is it still was a win and Im sure a win gives the "happy clappers" the ammo they need to slate the "moaners" but its not the league so lets hope we can carry this "form" on where it really counts.

I still dont rate SOD, there you go !        

God this forum !

Heres my take first half we were rubbish the odd flash of decent football against the mighty D&R, second half was much better and we grew in confidence. JET has proved again he is a class above the rest (when he chooses too).

The truth is it still was a win and Im sure a win gives the "happy clappers" the ammo they need to slate the "moaners" but its not the league so lets hope we can carry this "form" on where it really counts.

I would assume that the 3-0 cup win today will go a long way in helping the confidence and carrying on the momentum into the next league game.

God this forum !

Heres my take first half we were rubbish the odd flash of decent football against the mighty D&R, second half was much better and we grew in confidence. JET has proved again he is a class above the rest (when he chooses too).

The truth is it still was a win and Im sure a win gives the "happy clappers" the ammo they need to slate the "moaners" but its not the league so lets hope we can carry this "form" on where it really counts.

Sums it up quite well for me too.. :)

I can't comment on yesterday because I wasn't there and its a golden rule of mine, if you weren't at the ground (unless its on TV) you really can't form an opinion.

You're relying on 2nd hand opinion of a radio commentator and I've been at games where I am not sure they and I are watching the same thing....

Anyway, what I would say of my watching of Reading yesterday and comparing to what I've been treated to by City the last few games...

1) Structure. We seem to be so central in comparison. Yesterday when Reading got the ball, they looked to play it to feet out to the wide spaces, spread the ball, stretch QPR and as a result create room. We seem to bunch the middle or we get that absurd scenario where we all cluster over on one side of the pitch for Parrish's kick. I'd like to see us play with a bit of width - we don't seem to do that.

2) Wanting the ball. One thing that really sticks out to me. The keeper gets the ball - with City the back 4 then turn their backs and push up for the keeper to have nothing to do but boot it long forward.

Yesterday it was astounding the amount of times in contrast the Reading keeper rolls the ball to the full backs. When he has the ball, they actively come looking for it and they begin attacks with full backs bringing the ball forward - I can't recall when we last did that.

3) Running with the ball. Literally every Reading player at some point ran with it, attacked the QPR midfield or defence. Joe Bryan aside - who does that for us?

The last few games at AG when we get the ball its "shit!!! I've got the ball what do I do??? Quick let me get rid of it ASAP before I have to do something!!" then launch it forward or play it to a bloke sideways irrelevant of how much crap that puts him in.

I wanted to suss out how the crowd at the Madejski react to lumping it long. But given Reading weren't ever chasing the game, they didn't do it at all.

In some ways it was quite depressing but also confirmed my view. The standard of football we've been treated to recently is fricken light years to what I saw yesterday.

I reckon they'd beat us about 5 or 6 nil.

All of those things though that I note as different are standard structure things that O'Driscoll should be looking at.

We really look ordinary in comparison and there is no need for it.

I can't comment on yesterday because I wasn't there and its a golden rule of mine, if you weren't at the ground (unless its on TV) you really can't form an opinion.

You're relying on 2nd hand opinion of a radio commentator and I've been at games where I am not sure they and I are watching the same thing....

Anyway, what I would say of my watching of Reading yesterday and comparing to what I've been treated to by City the last few games...

1) Structure. We seem to be so central in comparison. Yesterday when Reading got the ball, they looked to play it to feet out to the wide spaces, spread the ball, stretch QPR and as a result create room. We seem to bunch the middle or we get that absurd scenario where we all cluster over on one side of the pitch for Parrish's kick. I'd like to see us play with a bit of width - we don't seem to do that.

2) Wanting the ball. One thing that really sticks out to me. The keeper gets the ball - with City the back 4 then turn their backs and push up for the keeper to have nothing to do but boot it long forward.

Yesterday it was astounding the amount of times in contrast the Reading keeper rolls the ball to the full backs. When he has the ball, they actively come looking for it and they begin attacks with full backs bringing the ball forward - I can't recall when we last did that.

3) Running with the ball. Literally every Reading player at some point ran with it, attacked the QPR midfield or defence. Joe Bryan aside - who does that for us?

The last few games at AG when we get the ball its "shit!!! I've got the ball what do I do??? Quick let me get rid of it ASAP before I have to do something!!" then launch it forward or play it to a bloke sideways irrelevant of how much crap that puts him in.

I wanted to suss out how the crowd at the Madejski react to lumping it long. But given Reading weren't ever chasing the game, they didn't do it at all.

In some ways it was quite depressing but also confirmed my view. The standard of football we've been treated to recently is fricken light years to what I saw yesterday.

I reckon they'd beat us about 5 or 6 nil.

All of those things though that I note as different are standard structure things that O'Driscoll should be looking at.

We really look ordinary in comparison and there is no need for it.

I've been to all games at home this season except the Crawley one,

1) I agree with you there, and I wonder if this is because we are playing with less emphasis on wingers

2) with this point I agree partly but I noticed yesterday (and in other games) that Parrish was telling the defenders to get forward, he wanted to play it long

3) another good point and I think this is confidence, yesterday as the confidence grew in the players they did run with the ball a bit more, and they did it a bit at the start of the season so I think this is a confidence thing

I should add that I'm not expecting us to be as good as Reading. They are 5th in the Championship and we are 20th in L1.

My comparisons are on structure on what they do v what we do. The players are obviously not in the same league.

I watched MOTD this morning, Shearer and Owen were lambasting Chelsea players for all standing together in the middle and having no width 'I could throw a blanket over the lot of them' one of them said. 'Look at all that empty space on the wing' was another comment I laughed to myself and said that could be City they are talking about.

So I guess it's not a bad thing that we play like Chelsea, but I do understand your point.

Archived