IGNORED

Why We Are Down The Bottom

HoldenBall

Bit harsh on him, he was picking up another man on the edge of the box.

If he charged at it they could of passed the ball to the other player and then people would blame him for not sticking to his man and being a "headless chicken charging around". It's loose loose when it comes to goals.

Bit harsh on him, he was picking up another man on the edge of the box.

If he charged at it they could of passed the ball to the other player and then people would blame him for not sticking to his man and being a "headless chicken charging around". It's loose loose when it comes to goals.

Fair enough, considering there could be a player you can not see from the camera angle, just seems to me he could of easily made a bit more of an effort

The defending for the goal was powder puff, there were more than enough defenders to deal with anything, Cunningham didn't do enough to cut the original cross out and then nobody but nobody including Pack attacked the ball, everyone was waiting for somebody else to take control of the situation, lacking leaders.

Think it was Gillett, not Cunningham. We dealt with crosses like that all second half from Tranmere. Shame Osborne couldn't quite get more on his header, and then is it not Bobby Reid's man who has the shot? He seems to be in no-mans-land.

Think it was Gillett, not Cunningham. We dealt with crosses like that all second half from Tranmere. Shame Osborne couldn't quite get more on his header, and then is it not Bobby Reid's man who has the shot? He seems to be in no-mans-land.

Ok, but not a great effort to stop the cross, that is what caused the problem and then plenty of pointing, looking, waiting, gaps and an invitation to shoot, I suspect SOD will be incandescent over the defending for their goal.

It's true we miss somebody like Louis Carey keeping the unit organised.

He reminds me of my boss and when my boss is in we are a tightly ran ship. He also leads by example, there is no effing about.

I'm not so sure I agree with that, we've been appalling defensively, for years now. Louis was part of that appallingness.

.... and then is it not Bobby Reid's man who has the shot? He seems to be in no-mans-land.

Agree. For all his excellent quailities Bobby Reid quite often loses his man. That said, he, like many others is very young and still learning his trade. We just need to cut them a bit of slack and support them. An away draw is never a bad result, things are on the up, IMO - we just need to be patient and enjoy the ride.

All this nit picking. The game is played in REALl time. You lot all sound like Allen Hanson (without the knowledge) Home teams are allowed to press and shoot you know. Virtually every goal is stopable with hindsight and countless replays on youtube.The only goals IMHO that are avoidable are the individual mistakes (like Bradfoed at home and PV away).

All this nit picking. The game is played in REALl time. You lot all sound like Allen Hanson (without the knowledge) Home teams are allowed to press and shoot you know. Virtually every goal is stopable with hindsight and countless replays on youtube.The only goals IMHO that are avoidable are the individual mistakes (like Bradfoed at home and PV away).

All very true apart from when the goal conceded is pretty much a team effort, as was this one IMO and a goal from nowhere that apparently changed the whole dynamic of the game, hopefully SOD has a different view to you, because defending has become the new holy grail above that of passing/possession and yes it is improving but I suspect not to a level that SOD would be happy with.

It's there lb who has the shot so Reid should be closing him down.

Reid does lots of work going forward but defensively leaves a lot to be desired. As in his positional sense. If wagstaff was playing I think he would of been there to cut out that ball. But if a guy takes a shot and it goes in by a deflection what else can you do. Think same thing happened brentford home huge deflection for there 1st.

Devensively the team is looking a lot more solid, and its a case now of trying to get the balance right between defence and attack.

Watch Marlon Pack for their goal

Surely, surely he should be charging at that ball??He might not get there but damn at least make an effort to.

No. He's chosen to mark the man to his left thus pushing the goal scorer out wide. If pack goes to ball goal scorer passes inside and this player has a better angle at goal. Pack did everything right IMO, pushing the play out wide, narrowing the angle.

You are right insinuating that there shouldn't be a spare man when defending and that no one should be scoring from that angle but you didn't actually state that instead you chose to single out Pack.

Had you watched it carefully you may have saw the truth. But probably not, which is why I'm elated that you are not on the coaching staff.

If you are going to single out individuals and jump on their back, particularly when their confidence appears low, may I suggest you pop down the rugby ground and infiltrate them with negativity if thats your agenda.

Otherwise become a City supporter not a critic.

Ctid

All very true apart from when the goal conceded is pretty much a team effort, as was this one IMO and a goal from nowhere that apparently changed the whole dynamic of the game, hopefully SOD has a different view to you, because defending has become the new holy grail above that of passing/possession and yes it is improving but I suspect not to a level that SOD would be happy with.

SOD says he was disappointed with the goal...

Better input that repeating the same thing over and over and over and over if every topic. You don't rate him, we get it. Can you move on now please?!

You must have the wrong person, I've mentioned that I was unhappy with his contribution for the goal conceded once in one other thread,  find me some quotes on other threads where I've criticised Pack in the past?

No. He's chosen to mark the man to his left thus pushing the goal scorer out wide. If pack goes to ball goal scorer passes inside and this player has a better angle at goal. Pack did everything right IMO, pushing the play out wide, narrowing the angle.

You are right insinuating that there shouldn't be a spare man when defending and that no one should be scoring from that angle but you didn't actually state that instead you chose to single out Pack.

Had you watched it carefully you may have saw the truth. But probably not, which is why I'm elated that you are not on the coaching staff.

If you are going to single out individuals and jump on their back, particularly when their confidence appears low, may I suggest you pop down the rugby ground and infiltrate them with negativity if thats your agenda.

Otherwise become a City supporter not a critic.

Ctid

This forum has a vast history of "jumping on players back" fonts and Kilkenny being only two of the latest, are you going to send all fans who dare to do so down the rugby ground as well? If you add in those moaners who moan and criticize the manager  :whistle:  board and chairman down there as well ..........well they will need a new ground..............oh they will be sharing ours soon so they wont have go far at all.

The deflection looked a lot worse when at the game, I don't think you can really see it that well on YouTube.

I think it is harsh to blame pack if I'm honest. It was a nasty flick off one of our guys and we had been very comfortable until that point. Just another case of the unfortunate that we seem to keep suffering from this season.

This is very true. There is nothing wrong with analysing goals afterwards and suggesting where we might have done better, but one thing is for certain in football - EVERY team, be they Man Utd, Barcelona, Bayern Munich, Brazil, Spain.... they will ALL conceded goals, and in the vast majority of cases, hindsight and replays will show that most of those goals "could" have been stopped at some point.

The key to teams that enjoy success is that they restrict these breaches of their defence to less times than other teams do. Often that tally's with keeping the ball in their possession more than their opponents - which is something that we are working on doing.

It is usually a long process to get notably better at this and then reap the rewards of it.

There is no doubt that we are improving defensively compared to recent times, so we are moving in the right direction. It just takes time. Although no team, however good, will simply not conceed any goals.

Archived