IGNORED

England V Germany B Match Thread

Super

He's had a poor game, but if you don't play to your best players strengths, what do you expect?

He (Sturrdige) is vastly over rated IMHO.  Really one footed, makes individual decisions not team decisions.  If we play him we have to try and get away with 2 in the middle or we have to push Rooney into a wide position.  Sturridge is  not that good.

Not really. He certainly wouldn't of troubled the Herman defence tonight. top class.

I think Welbeck is possibly the most underated England player.  We have certainly missed him defensively over the last 2 games.  We've been exposed down our left in both games and that is in no small part down to his absence.   He also makes good runs off the wings to get into dangerous positions, this pulls the opposition right back all over the shop and creates space for others.

These last 2 games have cemented his starting place in the side.

End of the day most of these players wont start in the world cup anywsy its a friendly...,

Wilshire.........,,gerrard.........lampard/barkley/carrick

Walcott..........,rooney....,.,,,.oxlade/sturridge

Thats the guaranteed line up for midfield and attack whether you like it or not defence apart from lb I av no bloody clue! If he wouldnt of messed rio ferdinand around we would have a leader in defence to sort it out' who else have wegot now??

Heart warming to see young players being written off as usual.

Not really there just not good enough! Look at the young generation from france 98 which would give teams a game and actually be entertaining to the dross boring talentless robots we have playing now..

How old is messi again???? ... How old was owen then?

If your world class or good enough you should know by age 21 , theres no potential from most of the england players in the team.. Bar 3 in my eyes barkley,ravel morrison and whilshire

End of the day most of these players wont start in the world cup anywsy its a friendly...,

Wilshire.........,,gerrard.........lampard/barkley/carrick

Walcott..........,rooney....,.,,,.oxlade/sturridge

Thats the guaranteed line up for midfield and attack whether you like it or not defence apart from lb I av no bloody clue! If he wouldnt of messed rio ferdinand around we would have a leader in defence to sort it out' who else have wegot now??

Townsend will start

don't really care about friendlys as they mean nothing,

but a few things woy would of learnt last night is the fringe players haven';t really covered themselfs in glory,

Smalling, Sturridge, wiltshire walker cleverly barkey and henderson are all not good enough currently but have time and the rest of the season to devlop,

Last night was never about a result although its always nice to beat germany (who have now won 6 streight games at wembely) it was about looking at the fringe players,

We now have until march (our next friendly) for players to force there way into roys thinking, and thats one thing I like about hodgson, he's willing to give players a chance,

none of the pervious managers would of given the 3 southampton players the time of day or would be willing to give the young lads like barkley a chance at senoir level they would of gone with the proven failures of the past like terry etc,

If always makes me laugh; England stroll to a 3-0 win over some footballing backwater and the players don't care. They put in what was on reflection a fairly committed performance but one which lacked a cutting edge against the second best team in the world (albeit with many of their star player rested), and we'll be lucky to beat Dan Marino with the current squad. So really, it doesn't matter what Hodgson does, he'll get attacked from one side. The reality of international football is that its very rare to have periods where one or two teams dominate in the way Spain (with Germany on their coat tails) have in the last 4 years. Spain, by the way, who lost to South Africa last night. Not every defeat is a disaster and not every win is emphatic- a concept many on this forum need to apply to City

The raw materials are there more than with most recent England squads in my opinion, but the chances of getting it all to blend together before the summer is very low. There are obvious gaps in central midfield and central defence, but there are also positives in that we have a squad who seem to want to play for the manager and the shirt. In the short term we need to find players capable of plugging the gaps, but in the long term we need to find ways of getting the group to gel much quicker and to improve the technical proficiency and attitude of those selected. I think it was quite telling that several of the German players played different roles for the national side than they would for their clubs fairly seamlessly, something that I can't imagine most of the England squd doing

All in all though, I'm still happier with this England squad going into the World Cup than I was with the last England squad going into a World Cup

The only thing I'm fed up with is the amount of respect we give the Germans when they're not even the best team in the world. Yes we've heard a thousand times how diserable their mode of football is, (even when the Spanish have done and achieved far more impressive things) but you can't kiss up to a nation like Germany and expect them to play nice back. They will hammer us again and again.

I actually thought England put in a shift and were basically sound without having any speed in attack. The slow build ups reminded me of City. I was just waiting for someone to step on the ball! And of course with that sort of build-up, the excellent German defence was always in place and well marshsalled to deal with threats. Only Townsend really can dribble at speed.

By contrast, most of the German mf and forwards can run at defenders. And of course, our defence is our Achilles heel. It's the second game I watched where Smalling looked positionally poor - and Walker and Jagielka were not much better.

I actually thought England put in a shift and were basically sound without having any speed in attack. The slow build ups reminded me of City. I was just waiting for someone to step on the ball! And of course with that sort of build-up, the excellent German defence was always in place and well marshsalled to deal with threats. Only Townsend really can dribble at speed.

By contrast, most of the German mf and forwards can run at defenders. And of course, our defence is our Achilles heel. It's the second game I watched where Smalling looked positionally poor - and Walker and Jagielka were not much better.

I think it was a bit of tactical nouse from the Germans; Low mentioned our ability to counter attack several times in the build up so he set his side up to.... Counter attack. We can't break down a masses defence and then they broke with speed and precision

Still, I'd much prefer to see England give it a go and come up a bit short against a good team than strolling to a boring victory over a no-mark team, which is something I always associate with Cappello and Erikson

To be fair to England, Dan is a Hall of Fame Quarterback and exceptional actor. Can't see many teams beating that.

He was good in Ace Ventura. He's put on a bit of timber in retirement though, so I'd be hopeful that a decent blitz defence (or on the basis of last bight, any defence) would see us through

Archived