IGNORED

Six Managers In Three Years. Thanks Steve

Daniro

My view on this is very simple. he Board need to find the next Alan Dicks;

• Younger manager
  • tactically aware
  • Develops local players and youth
  • Builds a team that will die for each other
  • delivers the best team for 60 years (or possibly for ever)
  • Will stick around for 13 years

Not much then, not sure who will fit that bill!!

My view on this is very simple. he Board need to find the next Alan Dicks;

• Younger manager
  • tactically aware
  • Develops local players and youth
  • Builds a team that will die for each other
  • delivers the best team for 60 years (or possibly for ever)
  • Will stick around for 13 years

Not much then, not sure who will fit that bill!!

DICKS OUT

Yes - you're right about that but this time round the story was the SOD was going to be building from scratch - using young inexperienced local talent.   Youngsters like that need time to get confidence particularly in the hostile impatient intolerant world of BCFC.    And now, just as they are beginning to show some spirit (fighting back against Orient on Tuesday for example) they decide to drop the pilot.

It beggars belief.

Many teams in this league our inexperienced. 

But SO'D's team isn't just full of youngsters though, Shorey, Carey, Harewood, Gillet, Elliott, Baldock, Wagstaff etc

There is plenty of older names. Many of our players should walk into other teams i.e. JET, Baldock, Fielding, Flint, Maloney, Cunningham, Wagstaff etc.

Just because we drew one game doesn't mean he should get more time, he had 44 games and only won 11.

What big shake up was that then?   Giving Ernie Arathoon his seat back - presumably because he dished a bit more cash into the pot?  God knows who he is but I don't think he's famous for his footballing brain.

Oh and if you think hand's off means making your son vice chairman beneath a chairman who never says anything, I see what you mean.

It's time to face up to the fact that we need somebody at that Board level with some understanding of the game and prepared to stand up to the Lansdown fatcats

God knows, can't honestly say I was that interested. I thaught it was reported and discussed alot on here how the board members had changed and new people put in place. But your knowledge of the inner workings of the club must be superior to mine.  

I'm a fan of the team and concerned with how the team play. The team has been awfull bar maybe 80 minutes of football(spread over different games) this season. The owners have done the right thing by replacing the person in charge of the team. Why do people get so het up about how the club is ran, We have a multimillionaire owner and fan who on his own admission been at fault for chasing the dream. He is now backing us but in a sustainable way. We are cost cutting all over to reach a level of expenditure that is sustainable for a club our size, But despite this are playing budget is still alot bigger than most in this league, yet we are 3rd bottom. How you can try and blame this on the board i'll never know.

By sacking the manager they are essentially saying 'we made the wrong decision'.

It would be nice to hear them say that rather than hide behind the shortcomings of the manager they appointed.

Or someone in a press conference actually ask a difficult question for once.

How about something along the lines of 'Bristol City seem to have a habit of appointing previously successful managers and then sacking them when they fail here. Exactly what is it about the club that causes such failure?'

You forget that they mysteriously become successful again when they leave us.

Coppell fans choice

Millen Boards choice

McInnes fans choice

O'Driscal Fans choice

People mocking you for this I see and although they weren't actually chosen by the fans, I don't remember to many people complaining about Coppell, McInnes or O'Driscoll at the time they were appointed.

I certainly wasn't. In fact, at the time, I was more than happy with all those choices.

People mocking you for this I see and although they weren't actually chosen by the fans, I don't remember to many people complaining about Coppell, McInnes or O'Driscoll at the time they were appointed.

I certainly wasn't. In fact, at the time, I was more than happy with all those choices.

indeed thats the point I'm making,

Peole saying 100 or so active posters don't speak for the fan base on those yet apparantly do speak for the fan base while venting their spleens about the justified sacking of SoD, double standards at its very highest

With respect,  people who voice their opinions on here are hardly in positions of ultimate power of the future of the club.   We can say what we like on here but the Board need to step up and take responsibility.    My view (for all it's worth) is there isn't a single individual on that board with the knowledge or experience to make any decision about who is or isn't a good manager.  They've tried everything from highly experienced and successful to complete newbies and it's all failed.

indeed thats the point I'm making,

Peole saying 100 or so active posters don't speak for the fan base on those yet apparantly do speak for the fan base while venting their spleens about the justified sacking of SoD, double standards at its very highest

Nobody on here seriously claims to be "speaking for the fan base" do they?   Certainly not me.

Without wanting to sound like The Kaiser - six managers in three years

Johnson- had been with us for what 5 years, crossed a line so had to go.

Coppel - Landsdown mistake that he openly admits (cant remember any fans being upset with the appointment)

Millen - took over to keep continuity and as cheap option was still given over a year to prove himself.

Mcciness -highly rated went through a selection process to get the job, given over a year was sacked as a gamble to try and survive.

SOD- Brought in to help change the philosophy of the club, Has mentioned alot that he was put in place to get the wheels moving and aknowleged he would be replaced eventually. Results and performances have sped up his departure. Given just under a year.

None of these scream useless board room to me and if it was at any other club I wouldn't bat an eye lid.

So if we dont appoint anyone before New years are you going to change the title to 6 in 4? Also for a debate sligtely dumbed down SOD was head coach not manager. :P  

God knows, can't honestly say I was that interested. I thaught it was reported and discussed alot on here how the board members had changed and new people put in place. But your knowledge of the inner workings of the club must be superior to mine.  

I'm a fan of the team and concerned with how the team play. The team has been awfull bar maybe 80 minutes of football(spread over different games) this season. The owners have done the right thing by replacing the person in charge of the team. Why do people get so het up about how the club is ran, We have a multimillionaire owner and fan who on his own admission been at fault for chasing the dream. He is now backing us but in a sustainable way. We are cost cutting all over to reach a level of expenditure that is sustainable for a club our size, But despite this are playing budget is still alot bigger than most in this league, yet we are 3rd bottom. How you can try and blame this on the board i'll never know.

the board was only changed in as much as Jon Lansdown was appointed Chairman, then moved sideways to vice chair while the ghost became chairman - lets be clear, a chairman who has not appeared in public or said one word on this whole sorry saga isn't much of a chairman in my book.

The reason the owners are reigning back expenditure is that they mismanaged it in the first instance - Steve Lansdowns lightning rod has been FFP - an excuse for him to back away from spending - how do other clubs manage i wonder.

Why do we get 'het up'? because Tinnion was appointed with the words 'Judge me on Tinnion'- by steve lansdown, and despite the enourmous failure nothing ever happened. Coppell walked because he wasnt given the support from the board he was promised, Millen was appointed as a cheap stop gap, McCinnes and SOD have spent their whole tenure having available resources reduced and stripped back, with every excuse under the sun being rolled out by the board - 5 pillars, FFP etc etc. the appalling collapse of decent relations with the support base has been overseen by this board - the fiasco with tickets etc etc - the persecution of fans and the clubs complicit arrangements with the law (dawn raids for going on the pitch???) have led to an total degrading of support to the point where the crowds are bailing out.

write it all down, pros and cons - old stylee - its a heavy cons column, one that points full fair and square at the 'board'

Now if we actually HAD a proper board, there would be directors who could challenge the lansdown monopoly, but sadly thats exactly what it seems to be now, a game for his son to tinker with.

Steve Lansdowns successes in the financial field are a million miles away from the mess he is overseeing here right now - IF money is so tight, why isn't he and the chairman actively seeking alternative sources of investment? if he doesn't want to handle the financial responsibility all by himself, why not seek partners? - because he wants it to himself and has spent the best part of 12 + years manouvering the ownership of this club, OUR club into his familys hands - some fan!

Johnson- had been with us for what 5 years, crossed a line so had to go.

Coppel - Landsdown mistake that he openly admits (cant remember any fans being upset with the appointment)

Millen - took over to keep continuity and as cheap option was still given over a year to prove himself.

Mcciness -highly rated went through a selection process to get the job, given over a year was sacked as a gamble to try and survive.

SOD- Brought in to help change the philosophy of the club, Has mentioned alot that he was put in place to get the wheels moving and aknowleged he would be replaced eventually. Results and performances have sped up his departure. Given just under a year.

None of these scream useless board room to me and if it was at any other club I wouldn't bat an eye lid.

So if we dont appoint anyone before New years are you going to change the title to 6 in 4? Also for a debate sligtely dumbed down SOD was head coach not manager. :P  

Interesting analysis.   

GJ was fired in March, so it stays 6 in 3 until March 2014!

What irritates me is that even by JL's admission today things were beginning to improve - ok slowly  - the timing is completely wrong.  I just hope they've already got someone lined up who will set the place on fire but I really have no confidence that they have any idea what to do next.

With respect, people who voice their opinions on here are hardly in positions of ultimate power of the future of the club. We can say what we like on here but the Board need to step up and take responsibility. My view (for all it's worth) is there isn't a single individual on that board with the knowledge or experience to make any decision about who is or isn't a good manager. They've tried everything from highly experienced and successful to complete newbies and it's all failed.

You're missing (or ignoring) the point - Of course the board are ultimately responsible but an awful lot of people lambasting them for their decisions were perfectly happy and supportive of those decisions at the time.

It's easy to criticise with hindsight.

I agree though, there is a major lack of football knowledge or experience on the board.

Football, as in every aspect of life, is full of people, like you and me, who like to mouth off opinions left, right and centre. Whether they agree or disagree with what's going on is neither here nor there and for sure it's crazy to suggest that any of the six managers were the "people's choice".

You're missing (or ignoring) the point - Of course the board are ultimately responsible but an awful lot of people lambasting them for their decisions were perfectly happy and supportive of those decisions at the time.

It's easy to criticise with hindsight.

I agree though, there is a major lack of football knowledge or experience on the board.

Football, as in every aspect of life, is full of people, like you and me, who like to mouth of opinions left, right and centre. Whether they agree or disagree with what's going on is neither here nor there and for sure it's crazy to suggest that any of the six managers were the "people's choice".

I dont care about that statistic.

He had to go - he has gone - and now we find someone else.

Moving on up

10 years of Landsdown and we're where we were - hardly moving on up. You may not care about the bigger picture but it's what counts - we're going backwards

Archived