IGNORED

Cotterills Preferred Players? And Who May Have Played Their Last Game For City?

tezOfCity

I just wonder If the subject of JET being sold in january was the potential reason for a fall out between SOD and the board of distructers.

Nothing but a gut feeling, i have to admit, but it does seem odd that after waiting patiently for an improvement in results just when it seemed to be abit more solid ,boom he's gone .

That crossed my mind as well...

Long balls from the back to Harewood, say goodbye to our technically good players, he will bring in height in the Jan transfer window and I fear it could be the end of line at City for players like Bobby Reid. 

Pray to be proved wrong though.

If he wants to play that way he will need to buy a striker as Harewood is utter garbage.

When Twentyman asked him about JET he wasn't particularly positive. Talked about if Baldock had played all the games, with a strike partner, then maybe he'd be top scorer.

Also referenced that in our situation we need 11 players who are going to show a bit of fight (can't remember exact words).

Can I ask, why would he not play JET? Clearly been our best player this season, and has earned us a fair majority of our points.

Interesting snippet during Twentyman radio show this evening.

Asked about Thomas and his goals, Mr Cotterill replied that 14 goals is a good return, but how many more could Baldock have if he'd started more games and had a strike PARTNER up front with him.

Not my first choice manager,but I like what I've heard and pleased with his upbeat outlook.

We have to give him a chance.

Upbeat Bristolian with an accent we can understand.

Come on me babber..

The only certainty for me is that the 5 we have on loan (Osborne, Gillett, McLaughlin, O'Connor and Richards) plus Shorey who is only on a deal until January are the ones he will look most critically at. Because he'd have 6 spaces on the wage bill if they all left.

Just say goodbye to Reid, JET, Baldock straight away. He's the guy who refused to play Majeswki at Forest who's one of the best players on the championship. We'll be a team that is not technically good, just like to run a around and "try hard"

Not sure why you're mentioning Baldock alongside the likes of Jet and Reid?

He's not a particularly skilful player at all.

But he is a goalscorer - when his confidence is up anyway - and Cotterill will want a confident Baldock in his team without doubt.

The only certainty for me is that the 5 we have on loan (Osborne, Gillett, McLaughlin, O'Connor and Richards) plus Shorey who is only on a deal until January are the ones he will look most critically at. Because he'd have 6 spaces on the wage bill if they all left.

Absolutely Graham, that will be his first port of call.  My thoughts....

Osborne - he'll soon enough realise that Carey is past it and Wilson never had it, so will have to recruit another CB.  Whether he decides to renew Osborne's loan or go elsewhere??  I think he'd prob go elsewhere.

Gillett - Worked with him before and likes him (I think).  He'll probably stay as we won't see a place for Pack in SC's team (SC released him at Pompey citing that he doesn't track his man - no further questions asked!).

Richards - Haven't we already agreed a permanent deal?

McLaughlin - Might possibly be given a chance.  I think SC might re-introduce width and we don't have many out and out wide men.

O'Connor - Injured and will be sent back to his club.

Shorey - Will be released.

Oh, and I simply can't see SC finding a place for JET in this team.  High Tempo football has been promised.  JET will be surplus.

Its hard to speculate, but looking at a couple of forest teams from when he was managing, he actually played 1 up front with a 'number 10' behind. So may suit Jet still.

For example their game against leeds the midfield was:

Guedioura

Mcleary       Mousi   reid

Majewski

He also managed Cunningham, so I should imagine that means shorey will be gone, which is a good thing imo. Has been a big disappointment for us.

Its hard to speculate, but looking at a couple of forest teams from when he was managing, he actually played 1 up front with a 'number 10' behind. So may suit Jet still.

Guedioura

Mcleary Mousi reid

Majewski

He also managed Cunningham, so I should imagine that means shorey will be gone, which is a good thing imo. Has been a big disappointment for us.

You can't say that. It's been stated as fact in this thread that he refused to play majewski!

I just wonder If the subject of JET being sold in january was the potential reason for a fall out between SOD and the board of distructers.

Nothing but a gut feeling, i have to admit, but it does seem odd that after waiting patiently for an improvement in results just when it seemed to be abit more solid ,boom he's gone .

no it was 2 wins in 27 and being in the relegation zone not the fact that we might sell a talented footballer

Regarding the loan players we have, except in training and what he knows already, he won't have many matches to see them in will he. Osbourne suspended for 3 games, not back until Boxing Day and the others not wanting to be cup tied this weekend only allows limited time before the window opens.

Edit; just checked, after Tamworth there are 3 home and 1 away games before the end of the year. Should be enough to suss players out. I don't think there has been a lack of effort at all though, just directionless and stiffled in their play. Hopefully SC will bring in a much needed leader too, that shouldn't take him to long to realise we don't have one and how much one is needed.

Absolutely Graham, that will be his first port of call.  My thoughts....Osborne - he'll soon enough realise that Carey is past it and Wilson never had it, so will have to recruit another CB.  Whether he decides to renew Osborne's loan or go elsewhere??  I think he'd prob go elsewhere.Gillett - Worked with him before and likes him (I think).  He'll probably stay as we won't see a place for Pack in SC's team (SC released him at Pompey citing that he doesn't track his man - no further questions asked!).Richards - Haven't we already agreed a permanent deal?McLaughlin - Might possibly be given a chance.  I think SC might re-introduce width and we don't have many out and out wide men.O'Connor - Injured and will be sent back to his club.Shorey - Will be released. Oh, and I simply can't see SC finding a place for JET in this team.  High Tempo football has been promised.  JET will be surplus.

Gillett was a SOD signing for Forest so hasn't worked for Cotterill before.

I think as you say, Richards is a done deal but I wouldn't be surprised to see all of the others move on. If I had to guess one staying it would be Osborne, though his suspension certainly won't help his cause.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see a Guy Moussi, Kalifa Cisse style centre mid player as his first target to make us harder to play against.

In the interim I can see him making more use of Marvin in that role.

Guedioura

Mcleary       Mousi   reid

Majewski

it was all over Forest's forum that it wasnt until SOD came in that he made it clear to Cotterill he had to play Majewski to create chances 

it was all over Forest's forum that it wasnt until SOD came in that he made it clear to Cotterill he had to play Majewski to create chances 

So, Cotterill is the type of manager who takes advice from his staff and is willing to change. Got to be better than the 'my way is right' attitude, surely?

So, Cotterill is the type of manager who takes advice from his staff and is willing to change. Got to be better than the 'my way is right' attitude, surely?

don't really see who that's aimed at - is it well reported that SOD rejected any advice?

Only thing i can think of is why he never played Baldock up top with someone behind him but he explained himself a lot of times on why he never did

don't really see who that's aimed at - is it well reported that SOD rejected any advice?

Only thing i can think of is why he never played Baldock up top with someone behind him but he explained himself a lot of times on why he never did

Not aimed at anyone in particular, just saying that many managers stick to their belief that they know best and everything will be alright on the night.

Having a manger who listens to, and takes the advice of his staff is surely a plus point, no?

Given we are following the 'plan' then the idea was to buy players to sell at their prime, if JET reaches a prime price, as was being discussed before SO'D then he will be sold.

Simples. Naff all to do with the manager. Remember Keith Burt is in charge of player recruitment not SC

Youve made a few posts like this recently. Whilst I like the faith, you must accept that "the plan" is one of a number of factors involved in how our destiny unfolds and the living parts of it arent just passive ingredients. 

As an example, if SC did stop playing JET (not saying he will) then JET would become unhappy, agitate for a move and SC would sanction it. Similarly if SC played JET, JET scored 20 goals in the next 2 months and then the board accepted 2m for him, SC might argue that we should keep him as we were soaring towards the POs on the back of JET. He plays a critical role in the outcome rather than being subservient to some clear answer that "the plan" has given us. 

"The plan" is only an outline of principles and the people and personalities it affects will play a role in how it unfolds. To assume these people are passive objects that can be dropped into the framework and be its servants is, imo, unrealistic. 

We have a plan at work but different personalities and the strengths of those personalities continuously shape and modify it. For good and bad. 

So the plan provides stability and that is clearly a good thing in football. But you also have to be realistic that people have opinions and personalities and people will always want their say. The people involved will affect the plan just as much as the plan affects them. 

Archived