IGNORED

First Impressions

harvey54

He was on talkSPORT the other week and spoke with honestly and passion an a gert proper wes cunry accent.. so that was my first impression of him.

Also think that sometimes faces fit and sometimes they don't. Pulis was a disaster for us and Pompey but did a fine job a Gillingham and Stoke.

Seems like a sleeves rolled up type bloke who's just looking to get on with it. We tried the sophisticated approach an it didn't work.

Still, that's it for this season's addition of 'first impressions'.

Who's favorate to be our next manager? Might as well start the thread now...

Its a really good point made actually.

The squad of players shouldnt be anywhere near where we are.

Perhaps it literally is just a new face to work with. Someone to tell them what to do rather than baffle them with 'decision making'.

Bang on. SOD I think gave players too much freedom to chose, corners for example.

He will be more direct with them, hopefully organise them better and get them working. Lots of talk about him winning 1-0 a lot so it appears as though his teams are drilled well defensively.

Its a really good point made actually.

The squad of players shouldnt be anywhere near where we are.

Perhaps it literally is just a new face to work with. Someone to tell them what to do rather than baffle them with 'decision making'.

Yeah, god forbid we should have players using their heads and thinking, that way madness lies. We can sit back in our little backwater with our wingers and banging the ball into the box, whilst the rest of the football world moves on and leaves us behind,

Bang on. SOD I think gave players too much freedom to chose, corners for example.

He will be more direct with them, hopefully organise them better and get them working. Lots of talk about him winning 1-0 a lot so it appears as though his teams are drilled well defensively.

With 8 behind the ball there should be no surprise there squire. I say bring Crouchie in to work alongside Taylor and just launch it from defence. In fact they should probably go on ebay and buy a bunch of second hand 'Crossfire' games for practice only fix the gun in one position and increase the trajectory to 45 degrees.

Yeah, god forbid we should have players using their heads and thinking, that way madness lies. We can sit back in our little backwater with our wingers and banging the ball into the box, whilst the rest of the football world moves on and leaves us behind,

Glad you've looked at the league table recently with the Barca style football we have played. We have been left behind, and now we try to get back in the race. 

Passing backward and sideways in our own half while the opposition close us down and put pressure on us until we make mistakes was not working.

With 8 behind the ball there should be no surprise there squire. I say bring Crouchie in to work alongside Taylor and just launch it from defence. In fact they should probably go on ebay and buy a bunch of second hand 'Crossfire' games for practice only fix the gun in one position and increase the trajectory to 45 degrees.

I've got no problem with a direct style, if done correctly. Trouble was we played hoofball under SOD but didn't play the right team to make it work.

We don't have the team for tiki taka we're at the bottom of league1 - I'm hoping for a much more organised and disciplined set up and I think SC is the right man to do this. Quite excited actually. Apparently the only one ha ha

No you're not the only one.

Whilst I didn't expect to see SOD depart until we were totally doomed to another relegation, I must admit that the thought of getting out of the mess we are in, under his tenure, was more hope than expectation as the weeks passed by.

At least under this guy with a fresh and more energised approach, I think we will see more attacking football, and possession in the opposition's half, rather than sideways footie in our half.

I honestly think that Sean lost the players and that he looked like a busted flush at the end. Maybe his frustrations manifested in the clueless performances.

If you think that SOD "lost the players", you clearly didn't see any of the player/staff reaction via the media in the aftermath.

It was quite obvious that many of the players and staff he left were shocked and disappointed by the news.

Glad you've looked at the league table recently with the Barca style football we have played. We have been left behind, and now we try to get back in the race. 

Passing backward and sideways in our own half while the opposition close us down and put pressure on us until we make mistakes was not working.

you're right,  I wonder whether there were times during the early days at Swansea that the fans talked like this? I'll bet there were, I think it's a shame that our board didn't have the guts to ignore the talk the way theirs must have. It was bound to take time to get players to play in a way that was alien to most of them, there were signs that they were starting to catch on though. But now they can go back to being run of the mill league 1 players, with a sargeant Major screaming in their ear every two minutes. It may work, in the short term most changes of manager do, but it will become the norm again very soon and that effect will wear off. We will be back at square one, bemoaning the lack of a long term plan and the terrible football we are playing.

If you think that SOD "lost the players", you clearly didn't see any of the player/staff reaction via the media in the aftermath.

It was quite obvious that many of the players and staff he left were shocked and disappointed by the news.

I meant that he 'lost' as in baffled them with his tactics.

Slight mis-interpretation mate

I don't know much about cotterills past management wise but he came across as enthusiastic and as if this was a job he wanted, he may even wave his arms around which will please a few on here. One thing that stood out was the quick moving football, this could be the pass and move which I would like to see at the gate or it could be a quick hoof forward

He is full of confidence and hopefully that can be transferred to the players.

He sounds local (well, Cheltenham) and can put 2 words together unlike SOD.

I just hope he is not full of hot air.

He said the play will be fast tempo passing game.

Time will tell but I give him a chance.

I used to hate doing interviews as it's often impossible to know if the persons ego and confidence is warranted or not... I used to always take claims / past glories with a pinch of salt..

You weed out the useless and unqualified and The only thing you can do is cross your fingers and hope..

Obviously not everybody's first choice, but we are at the bottom of league one. Beggars can't be choosers and all that. We are in a similar position to when Gary Johnson took over, when everything clicked, despite many viewing him as a 'lower league manager'. Not playing tippy tappy possession based football isn't the end of the world for now, as most of the teams in this league are sticking to the basics and leaving us behind.

I personally would have rather the board waited a bit longer and looked beyond the current pool of English managers. But as many have said, he's our manager now so let's give him a chance. I was pleasantly surprised by his interview, he is certainly more affable than SoD and although many may argue that doesn't mean **** all on the pitch, the fans enjoy somebody who is a bit of a character and who will 'give them a wave'. Many are probably cringing at that, but if this guy can get us winning games with a bit of honesty and fight, then maybe we can get that feel good feeling back at Ashton Gate.

you're right,  I wonder whether there were times during the early days at Swansea that the fans talked like this? I'll bet there were, I think it's a shame that our board didn't have the guts to ignore the talk the way theirs must have. It was bound to take time to get players to play in a way that was alien to most of them, there were signs that they were starting to catch on though. But now they can go back to being run of the mill league 1 players, with a sargeant Major screaming in their ear every two minutes. It may work, in the short term most changes of manager do, but it will become the norm again very soon and that effect will wear off. We will be back at square one, bemoaning the lack of a long term plan and the terrible football we are playing.

How many teams do play like Swansea?

Not many, Arsenal, Liverpool, Man City, struggling after that to be honest. As much as I backed O'Driscoll, 2 wins in 28 games is all he had to show for his brand of football.

And how many teams has SOD transformed into a successful continental styled footballing side?

None, Doncaster had some success but, they also went an unbelievable amount of games without winning.

The club can still choose to play better football, but it doesn't need to go all in straight away. You can do this gradually starting with the youth system, get them to play in the style you want and over time when the better players breakthrough your style adapts.

Right now we are in the shit, O'Driscoll was suffering from tunnel vision trying to get his style and processes right, deflecting all criticism of results away from the players, I was starting to think the players believed that if the performance was right that is all that mattered, they were almost forgetting why they were there.

I honestly think that Sean lost the players and that he looked like a busted flush at the end. Maybe his frustrations manifested in the clueless performances.

No way he lost the players. No player that loses their manager comes out and openly says on twitter and to the press how gutted they are he's gone. Wynter, Pack, Flint, Baldock, Williams and Reid all came out and said they were gutted

No way he lost the players. No player that loses their manager comes out and openly says on twitter and to the press how gutted they are he's gone. Wynter, Pack, Flint, Baldock, Williams and Reid all came out and said they were gutted

They also came back twice from behind.. Not the type of things players do when managers loose the dressing room.

Archived