IGNORED

Robbie Turner

Superjack

What a team. Had everything. Probably the most complete team I have seen. Granted 3rd division. But But haven't seen anything close to that team since. Shame Jodan buggered of the following season.

"My favourite year" is an anthology of recollections by assorted fans about their club's best year. Matt Nation contributed the chapter "Thighs of an elephant" about City in that promo year with special reference to Bob Taylor and Robbie Turner.

"My favourite year" is an anthology of recollections by assorted fans about their club's best year. Matt Nation contributed the chapter "Thighs of an elephant" about City in that promo year with special reference to Bob Taylor and Robbie Turner.

Not dure you could pick anyone out apart from Bob due to the amount he scored. I can honestly say I can't remember a weak link. The sum of the parts made a uniquely excellent team. You do wonder if we would have broken the 100 point mark if Bob hadn't been injured shortly after completing his hattrick against crewe

"And Smith uses his pace" to set up the second goal. Whatever style of play Cots decided on, please can we have some pace in the team. Defenders don't like the opposition running at them no mattter which league it is.

Which he completely plagarised from The Bountyhunter....

That Chelsea's game was a crackin day. Big firm out from both sides. Chelsea came off worse. Remember Block B in the Dolman stand actually rocking that day. Incredible atmosphere. All standing terraces (including Block B in the Dolman). We used to plot up in the Hen & Chicken pre match on Blackthorn.

That Chelsea's game was a crackin day. Big firm out from both sides. Chelsea came off worse. Remember Block B in the Dolman stand actually rocking that day. Incredible atmosphere. All standing terraces (including Block B in the Dolman). We used to plot up in the Hen & Chicken pre match on Blackthorn.

We were in the Williams next to those nice Chelsea  fans, exchanging banter. Someone must have told them we were poor as they kindly donated money, maybe should have put it in a bucket as it was hard trying to catch or duck the coins !  :thumbsup:

I saw the Gloucester cup game at Bath just before Turner went to Wimbledon and Paul Mardon had him in his pocket. I was gutted when we signed him, but changed my mind first time I saw him for us. I think it was Swansea away, night match possibly, 1-1 I might be wrong but I think he scored and conceded a pen he was brilliant for us.

I was told he was in tears when he was told he was going to Plymouth, Bob was never quite the same after he left.

The write up on the Chelsea game was special. Something along the lines of "the ball bobbled along the line and in went Turner as Beasant tried to dive on the ball. Turner swung hard and something round hit the back of the net. Was it the keepers head? No it was the ball -cue pandamonium on the eastend...."

That team was legendary.  Talk about more than the sum of its parts, a mish-mash of cast offs, the odd has-been (John Bailey) and never-will-be players.

For those who don't remember:

GK: Ronnie Sinclair, sometimes, only 5'6" or something but springs in his legs.  Alternatively, Andy Leaning: like Ronnie, only fatter

RB: Andy Llewellyn: local lad, midget, not quick but tough, smiled a lot, pretty hard when he needed to be

CB: Glenn Humphries: tall, skinny, hard, not much of a footballer, but reasonably quick.  Did I mention he was quite hard?  Scored an OG within a minute on his City debut

CB: Rob Newman: legend.  Utterly massive, shot like a howitzer on steroids, nice guy off the pitch.  Utterly committed and a decent footballer.  Played in every single position known to man whilst at City, apart from GK

LB: John Bailey: see Llewy at RB, only older, Scouser, cheekier

RM: Mark Gavin: previous season he was cack; the next season, he was absolute dynamite. Not quick, but skilful and a good crosser.  Fans went from hating him to singing his name in the space of a few weeks

CM: Gary Shelton: signed in a swap for Schteve MacLaren (yes, him).  Small, hard, decent passing.  Hard.  Scored a lot of goals.  Quite hard.  Did I mention he was hard?

CM: David Rennie: never broke a sweat but the most under-rated player in the team.  Tall, wonderful passer, carressed the ball around

LM: Dave Smith: **** me he was quick, really, really quick.  Pretty strong as well - think a modern Rugby winger (Union, not the gay northern version).  Quick.  Lousy at crossing, but terrified defenders with his pace

CF: Robbie Turner: Ex-Gas, ex-Wimbledon, not a popular signing at first but like Mark Gavin, won the fans over.  Huge, hard, tough, real number 9.  No pace at all, but a total beast in the box.  The ideal foil for...

CF: Bob Taylor: short, a bit lardy, no pace, but an utter legend.  Scored goals for fun.  Missing sitters a specialty, hitting long-range screamers from insane angles to make up for it.  Amazing in the air.  Really nice guy as well, went on to become a legend at West Brom as well.

Manager: Joe Jordan.  Scottish pansy.

Love it Secret!

The 89/90 season has been referenced a lot since Cotts took over. If we could get anywhere near how good that team was then we'd be doing very well indeed. As your description of Glen Humphries though, the word "Psycho" would suffice. A very well deserved nickname.

Come the end of the season we'd added Ian Ferguson (on loan from Hearts?) as well as Nicky Morgan to replace God.

Love it Secret!

The 89/90 season has been referenced a lot since Cotts took over. If we could get anywhere near how good that team was then we'd be doing very well indeed. As your description of Glen Humphries though, the word "Psycho" would suffice. A very well deserved nickname.

Come the end of the season we'd added Ian Ferguson (on loan from Hearts?) as well as Nicky Morgan to replace God.

It should not be referenced alongside Cotterill. It was little like his "direct" Cheltenham town side.

The limited Turner played in a team that had skill, and that was capable of intricate football to feet as well as searching for openings via the brute force/ borderline assaults but no loneger tolerated by refs force of Turner.

Humphries had two simple passes one to the keeper, one sideways to Rennie or Newman who could play.

Smith went one way at pace but Rennie and Gavin often looked to slow things right down to much critisism from the stands.

Rennie suffered the "dont go sideways get it up there" ignorant nonsense City players before like Stroud and much later Johnson did.

Shouts of "stop ******* around with it Gavin" later changed to "You will never tackle Mark Gavin" from the enclosure.

The education of fans there highlights it is easier when the team wins.

Thanks SecrertSam - what a team!

Glenn Humphries - animal, many oppo forwards just wilted against Psycho. He would literally go through them in a tackle! There was only ever one winner - Psycho.

Glenn was actually a really nice bloke to chat too. Like Robbie T, Bob Taylor, Jackie J, Andy L and others, they loved playing for BCFC. Maybe a team of mismatches, but they played as a team. Joe Jordan made them into a tough unit.

Robbie T (3rd goal v Chelsea) will live with me forever. Probably one of my top 3 City games at AG?

Doubt that day will ever get repeated. Standing terraces, chaos round the ground (inside and out), pissing rain, aahhh loved it.

Thanks Robbie.

The chelsea game also springs to mind for trying to leave the ground uninjured. Chelsea fans were detained in the open end and spent 15 minutes raining down bits of broken terrace on city fans as they made their way out to the park. One fat cockney meat head was so desperate to inflict injury on the home fans he tried to rip out the cabling to the floodlight. We watched in bemusement as he actually tried to chew through the cable at one point...

The chelsea game also springs to mind for trying to leave the ground uninjured. Chelsea fans were detained in the open end and spent 15 minutes raining down bits of broken terrace on city fans as they made their way out to the park. One fat cockney meat head was so desperate to inflict injury on the home fans he tried to rip out the cabling to the floodlight. We watched in bemusement as he actually tried to chew through the cable at one point...

He was probably in the Chelsea group that came unstuck outside the H&C -- hee, hee!!!!

I think a key thing to note about 'that' team was that many of the players were nothing special:

• Both GKs, both full backs and Psycho Humphries were pretty limited/completely nuts (delete as appropriate)
  • Mark Gavin lacked pace - imagine Scott Murray, only 10 years earlier
  • Dave Smith was hilariously one-dimensional (1. Receive ball 2. Knock ball down left touchline 3. Run after it at 300mph 4. Launch cross into box/East End/passing bus/outer space OR 4. Get launched into outer space by full back)
  • As noted above, Robbie Turner was "a handful"
  • God Taylor was not exactly...quick.

Apart from Taylor's insane lust for goals, what made the team was Shelton's energy and Dave Rennie's poise.  Plus Biff's positional sense.

And the fact that they were all sh17 scared of Jordan (as was everyone else on the planet except his wife)

Bumped into Andy Lew' after a 'training' session at Colston school. It was just after Jordan took over the first time, he said that Joe had pushed them so hard that a few of the younger lads were throwing up !

I thought that team was well balanced. Pace on one wing trickery on the other. Busy ball winner and a decent passer in midfield. Ball winners and a good footballer (Newman) in defence and a target and goalscorer up front.

Everything gelled well and they worked hard for each other.  I liked the Turner/Taylor showboating bit throwing the sweatbands into the crowd. 

I used to have a cutting from one of the more intelligent Sunday papers pinned up on the wall at work that season .... cant remember which game it was referring to  (I think it may have been 1-1 draw Reading away) but it stated that ...........

"City played like the Real Madrid of the third division with long sweeping passes being interwoven with short sharp passing moves"

Fork me I was proud of that London journo's write up..............and of that team which Jordan and Lumsden + backroom built  - great exciting games both Home and Away 

Two wingers - two strikers - two strong central midfielders and a back four willing to die to stop the oppos scoring........ and fans to match

(sorry but half of our fans these days don't deserve a team like that - too spoilt)

Archived