IGNORED

Worst Weather Conditions At A City Game

Super

Watching the Galatasary game got me thinking about some of the Worst City games, Remember being in the open end at Meadow Lane when we had an almighty Hail storm in the 90's wasn't helped by watching one of the worst 0-0 games ever.

Last seasons game that got called off was pretty horrible but didn't seem so bad under cover, Blackpool away on the opening day when it hammered it down sticks out for me as we were without cover for the game, made it worth it though with the late winner.

We played Sheffield Wednesday at AG in the early 90s (a December game), we drew 1-1 but the weather was appalling throughout the first half and most of the second with a freezing blizzard. Me and my mates were stood on the Open End but they left at half time because of the weather. I don't think I've ever been so cold as that afternoon.

Last seasons game that got called off was pretty horrible but didn't seem so bad under cover, Blackpool away on the opening day when it hammered it down sticks out for me as we were without cover for the game, made it worth it though with the late winner.

Yup, it was lovely for August wasn't it, never been so wet in all my life. Made me wonder what conditions the poor buggers who visited in January had to face!

We played Sheffield Wednesday at AG in the early 90s (a December game), we drew 1-1 but the weather was appalling throughout the first half and most of the second with a freezing blizzard. Me and my mates were stood on the Open End but they left at half time because of the weather. I don't think I've ever been so cold as that afternoon.

Yep thats the one that first came to my mind. Was so cold that day, i can remember the wind coming straight into the East End. First and last time i saw Trevor Francis play as well.

That was Leeds utd. game abandoned half time.

Yeah that was weird,the ball kept appearing and disappearing like a disappearing and appearing thing,occasional glimpses of the players and an atmosphere of disbelief at the spectacle that was (probably) unfolding somewhere not too far away in front of us !

Happy days!

I used to like games in the snow ,orange balls ( that was probably the extra pair of underpants i put on to combat the cold) and coloured line markings.

Players slipping and sliding and Contact ,not eye contact that makes a modern day player fall to the ground and imitate the world roly poly champion ,but things called tackles where a player tried to take the ball off the player in possession and sometimes succeeded .

The jacket I wore for that game was absolutely trashed, tried washing a number of times I'm sure it still smells of the north west coast in whatever landfill/recycling plant it had to go to.

The Notts Co. at home game I remember being called off and we were loosing - I remember one of our lot scrabbling round to get bits of his ticket together as it got ripped up wth a load of newspaper at half time!

I remember a home game against Notts County, I think it was around 2002, where the heavens opened and the ball was sticking everywhere on the pitch. I can't remember if the ref called it off though.

EDIT: Yes that's the one I was thinking of Solihull - http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_2/2363907.stm

The best bit about it was we won the replayed game 3-2!!

Norwich away Christmas 78.

Freezing icy weather - that was one hell of a Winter - so bad that the CATS coaches didn't make it.

We'd gone up the day before to stay with a mate at UEA and make a weekend of it.

On the day the conditions were far worse than the snow we'd left behind in Bristol and so cold most of our group of about 12 took refuge in the seated stand to the side.

Me and a pal went in the away section (with a fence down the middle separating us from hundreds of Norwich fans) only to find just two other City fans on the wide open terrace.

Biting wind, bitterly cold, and we spent the whole match being shouted and chanted at by what seemed like a seething mass of angry Norwich fans pressing against the fence a few yards away.

Pretty sure we lost 3-0.

I have a shit memory for games but I remember watching one during our old First Division days that was so foggy I couldn't see the pitch, let alone the players. Presumably the ref had some sort of super-vision as he let the whole match be played.

Nearly the same here. I have a memory for shit games :(

Preston away a few years ago (think it was live on Sky too), so foggy that you couldn't see anything.

We lost 2-0.

I decided against travelling that day in case it got called off- Went to the pub and couldn't see anything on the TV so I dread to think what it was like at the game.

I've always been quite lucky with the weather. Boro away last year got pretty bad due to fog- but nothing like what's been mentioned already - because we could at least see the half way line! 

Few games spring to mind:

Barnsley away New Year's Day early 90s stands out in my mind.  Lashed with rain on open terracing.

Took my wife to Forest away in the Cup early 90s, 1-4 defeat, and being a cheap bastard, stood on the terrace rather than sat in the stands (4 quid cheaper, each, it all adds up) and her complaining about being caught in the hail.

Was also at the Leeds abandoned game, but that was just a hassle, rather than suffering in rain, sleet or snow.

Recall a home game a few years back on my birthday (end December, possibly the game before we beat Cardiff on NYD) being as cold as I remember being at AG.

First game of the season a few years ago,can,t remember when or even who we played,but **** me it was hot,my old man passed out in the back yard of the Wedloks and had to sit in front of a fan in the st johns ambulance room for about 20 Mins to cool down.So in that British way it was a case of,it's too hot.

I remember a game years ago where it was so foggy, you could not see further than half way up the pitch.  Ray Cashley drop kicked the ball up the field which subsequently disappeared into the fog.  Next thing was a cheer at the other end as the ball went straight into the net.

:dunno:

Must have been very selective patches of fog around AG that night, in fact I don't remember any at all. From my position in the open bit of the EE by the enclosure I followed Cashley's goal from the moment it left his hands all the way into the Hull net.

I remember a game years ago where it was so foggy, you could not see further than half way up the pitch.  Ray Cashley drop kicked the ball up the field which subsequently disappeared into the fog.  Next thing was a cheer at the other end as the ball went straight into the net.

Sorry ,you don't get fog AND gale force wind, which was what caught the ball and enabled Cashley to score.

I went to Bournemouth years back for a sky fa cup match. Was sunny when i got there so i decided my thick waterproof coat wasnt required. Q the torrential downpours at half time for the whole 2nd half!!

Think we lost 2-1 but we battered them but for bl00dy Jimmy Glass to save everything!!!

So wet i was still wet when we got back to Bristol!!

Archived