IGNORED

Worst Weather Conditions At A City Game

Super

None in recent years, but thinking back....

February 1969 - home to PNE and I went on the Open End. It had been overcast, but then really heavy rain set in. Luckily that made the pitch slippery. Galley slid along sat down and knocked the ball in for a 2-1 win. That was it; for many years it was Open End every time as it seemed to be lucky.

December 1969 - a bitterly cold night at Cardiff where the onlu goal was scored by Toshack in the last minute.

August 1970 - home to Cardiff. Standing on the Open End again, it seemed hotter that day than any we had in the heat wave of 76. Last minute Gerry Sharpe scored the only goal of the game. Revenge! Our first win v Cardiff for some time.

October 1973 - home to Hull and it was raining quite heavily. Along with a few others I braved he Open End. Which is the goal Cashley scored in from his own area.

October 1975 watching England in Bratislava. Really thick fog and the locals were amazed the game even started. From the centre circle he could see both goals and both touch lines, so he was correct. Then the fog thickened and watching from a stand, we could just see the nearest touchline.

I would say Trumpton, 1990. Clear blue sky, warm, visibility fine, no chance of fog, rain, hail, frogs, locusts, anything really, anything to give the ref reason to abandon that bloody game. I know, some tried forcing the issue, but we're talking weather here...lightning, tornado, ash cloud, meteor shower, something, anything....

There was a City Gas game that got called off over the Xmas period about 15? Years ago.

We had freezing rain and the roads and pavements were covered in ice.

It was nearly impossible to stand up in places.

If I remember rightly, the game wasn't called off long before kick off?

aka slippery Saturday pb

especially around st nicks market later that day

That Notts County game at home in about 2002 was horrendous! I think we were losing when it was abandoned.

Torquay away was so foggy we didn't know we'd scored until the players lined back up in our own half. Lita got a hat trick that day.

Yea I remember the Notts County game, I remember being very annoyed that it was clear in the first half the game would be called off yet the decision was taken after half time to call it off, thus meaning we was only due a part refund instead of a full refund. Think we was losing at the time but won the rearranged game.

It's always a very surreal atmosphere when a game gets called off, no one quite knows what to do. I also seem to recall after that game was called off the rain suddenly stopped but memory could be playing tricks.

Blackpool away on the first game of the season was funny, got straight off the coach and it was absolutely lashing it down, went and found the nearest shop that sold ponchos.

If I remember rightly the Rotherham game was a scorcher.

Every away game I attend up north it seems to rain.

The coldest I have ever been at a game was England V Macedonia at Old Trafford, stood on the Stretford end and I actually couldn't feel any part of my body.

Yea I remember the Notts County game, I remember being very annoyed that it was clear in the first half the game would be called off yet the decision was taken after half time to call it off, thus meaning we was only due a part refund instead of a full refund. Think we was losing at the time but won the rearranged game.

It's always a very surreal atmosphere when a game gets called off, no one quite knows what to do. I also seem to recall after that game was called off the rain suddenly stopped but memory could be playing tricks.

Blackpool away on the first game of the season was funny, got straight off the coach and it was absolutely lashing it down, went and found the nearest shop that sold ponchos.

If I remember rightly the Rotherham game was a scorcher.

Every away game I attend up north it seems to rain.

The coldest I have ever been at a game was England V Macedonia at Old Trafford, stood on the Stretford end and I actually couldn't feel any part of my body.

didn't Heffernan score against us an all?

Anyone remember Oxford away, must have been early 90's, at the Manor Ground and was so foggy that when City scored down the other end you couldn't it was a goal until the team came running back with their arms aloft?

I forgot that one; four minutes from the end, a home player ran out of a fog bank to equalise.

:dunno:

Must have been very selective patches of fog around AG that night, in fact I don't remember any at all. From my position in the open bit of the EE by the enclosure I followed Cashley's goal from the moment it left his hands all the way into the Hull net.

It was wet and windy that night, certainly no fog.

as Portland bill said,that rovers game. came up from south devon with a mate and my son.

got to bridgewater befor we found out the game was off.

ended back watching Exeter playing in six inches of mud!

then to cap if all came back for the rearanged game in January,and got beat 2.0 

a lot will remember another ticket fiasco that nite!!!

I remember a home game against Notts County, I think it was around 2002, where the heavens opened and the ball was sticking everywhere on the pitch. I can't remember if the ref called it off though.

EDIT: Yes that's the one I was thinking of Solihull - http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_2/2363907.stm

The best bit about it was we won the replayed game 3-2!!

Is that Boaz Myhill on our bench??

Back in the day I used to watch you lot when Rovers were away (Obviously cheering on the opposition :)). You had Leeds at home in the mid 70s and from the open end we could see **** all, the game was abandoned, but even then people at our end were not sure what was going on.

At the time it was very frustrating, however now I often wish for a fog to descend.

Portsmouth away in the cup a few years ago. As we left home I told my teenage daughters to wrap up warm like I had, did they listen? Did they bo.......! By kick off time they were toasty wearing most of my warm clothes leaving me freezing in jeans and t-shirt!

Also Wolves at home with the wind blowing into the Atyeo, never seen the roof move so much. That was a bit scarey.

Was it Orient at home in the 80s when their keeper cleared the ball to the edge of the penalty area and it blew back under the bar for one of our strikers to score?

Did I dream getting stuck in the snow on the motorway coming back from Middlesboro when Jordan got sent off?

Possibly not the worst weather, but certainly one of the most memorable soakings was the torrential rain and standing in the open at the Memorial patch, the night we sent the Gas down!

Other end of the weather scale - opening day at Gillingham - cant remember the season - when it was so hot, and the away end so packed, that they had to hose us down to keep cool!

Anyone remember Oxford away, must have been early 90's, at the Manor Ground and was so foggy that when City scored down the other end you couldn't it was a goal until the team came running back with their arms aloft?

I do remember this one as the first thing that happened was getting recorded by the pigs as we walked across the car park. Next was one of the worst burgers I have ever had (the only thing that was missing was eating the bell with the name on it!) then walking down that narrow muddy lane. I think we drew 1 - 1 but we had to ask Andy Leaning if we had scored and who scored it, well done Junior Bent - Happy Days!

Remember going to Oxford and couldn't see Wayne Allison's goal for fog in a 1-1 draw.

Yep remember it well couldn't even see the half way line....!

It was wet and windy that night, certainly no fog.

Exactly wind and rain trickling down your neck....Fog, not quite so much

Blimey you got a lot stored in your memory!

Many of us have....In the 70's must have gone to loads of games that were called off....It was part of footy's rich tapestry back then...Leeds at home in the fog called off at HT was annoying,

Anyone remember southampton away in 76....Hot or bloody what!....

Anyone remember southampton away in 76....Hot or bloody what!....

Saints in 76? We played Saints away on Good Friday 1975 in the 74-75 season and again four months later on Tuesday 26th August 75 just after the start of the 75-76 promo season. We didn't play them again until the 78-79 season when they had joined us in Div 1.

Not long after the Dolman Stand opened, one Tuesday night we were home to Oxford and a gale was blowing. A sudden gustblew the end panelling off. Cut the East End chanting "We've got the rubble end". The game continued though.

Archived