IGNORED

Proper Football Experience In Berlin

thatcham red

Four board members of the Bristol City Supporters Club & Trust went on a fact-finding mission to see Union Berlin last week.

This article records Miles Hendy's experience and asks what lessons can Bristol City learn about Union Berlin's recent stadium redevelopment ahead of Ashton Gate's likely redevelopment.

worth mentioning that a number of union berlin fan groups have right wing links (http://www.tagesspiegel.de/sport/union/fangruppierung-des-1-fc-union-crimark-steht-unter-rechtsextremismusverdacht/8279154.html), but they're generally a very well praised club for the way they've considered the fans in all the decisions they make

i read an article about them recently which stated that they've had a bit of trouble attracting sponsorship and commercial revenue since they've taken the approach, which is an unfortunate necessity in modern football

• SC&T Board Members

worth mentioning that a number of union berlin fan groups have right wing links (http://www.tagesspiegel.de/sport/union/fangruppierung-des-1-fc-union-crimark-steht-unter-rechtsextremismusverdacht/8279154.html), but they're generally a very well praised club for the way they've considered the fans in all the decisions they make

i read an article about them recently which stated that they've had a bit of trouble attracting sponsorship and commercial revenue since they've taken the approach, which is an unfortunate necessity in modern football

That whole article talks about a group of 20 people who some suspect of having right-wing sympathies, but nobody has been able to establish whether that is actually the case or not. It's a non-story.

Union are actually hugely successful in attracting commercial revenues, largely from Berlin businesses. It is the membership subs of 10 EUR a month from 11,500 members, gate receipts, TV money and sponsorship / advertising from those businesses that funds the club. There is no 'owner' other than the members themselves, i.e. the fans. Thus it really is THEIR club.

Anyone intrigued by Miles' report and interested in experiencing a game there themselves, feel free to PM me as I'm often at their home games. If you want to plan ahead, May 11th is a date to look at, as it is one of few games in the season when the date and kick-off time won't move for TV, it being their last home game of the season (13:30 kick-off, against 1860 Munich).

I'd read about the stadium build and the community ivolvement at Berlin before but it's so much better to read someone's perspective of what it's like now.

Wouldn't it be great if we could have not just a legacy, but a way of life within the club as a result of the new stadium - something generations can be proud of and other clubs can envy.

• SC&T Board Members

I'd read about the stadium build and the community ivolvement at Berlin before but it's so much better to read someone's perspective of what it's like now.

Wouldn't it be great if we could have not just a legacy, but a way of life within the club as a result of the new stadium - something generations can be proud of and other clubs can envy.

A bit more on that stadium 'rebuild'...

This is what the ground looked liked just five years ago (around the time that plans for Ashton Vale were announced):

Stadium%2520pre%2520rebuild%2520empty.jp

And how it looked when full at that time (2008):

Stadium%2520in%25202008.jpg

After 140,000 hours of unpaid labour from 4,000 fans ... in 2010:

Stadium%25202010.jpg

And after 3,000 fans paid 500 EUR each for shares in the stadium company to fund the new grandstand (gaining by doing so an effective veto over any future change in the stadium name), plus investment in the stadium company from long-standing supportive businesses... how it looks in 2013:

Stadium%25202013.jpg

That whole article talks about a group of 20 people who some suspect of having right-wing sympathies, but nobody has been able to establish whether that is actually the case or not. It's a non-story.

Union are actually hugely successful in attracting commercial revenues, largely from Berlin businesses. It is the membership subs of 10 EUR a month from 11,500 members, gate receipts, TV money and sponsorship / advertising from those businesses that funds the club. There is no 'owner' other than the members themselves, i.e. the fans. Thus it really is THEIR club.

Anyone intrigued by Miles' report and interested in experiencing a game there themselves, feel free to PM me as I'm often at their home games. If you want to plan ahead, May 11th is a date to look at, as it is one of few games in the season when the date and kick-off time won't move for TV, it being their last home game of the season (13:30 kick-off, against 1860 Munich).

thankyou for that mind blowingly condescending response

i'll just ignore my experience of living here for most of my adult life, several articles to a similar effect and count them out as "non stories" too, then, if that suits you?

thankyou for that mind blowingly condescending response

i'll just ignore my experience of living here for most of my adult life, several articles to a similar effect and count them out as "non stories" too, then, if that suits you?

otib at its finest. I would enjoy this forum so much more if people just expanded their argument instead of getting all churlish.

A bit more on that stadium 'rebuild'...

This is what the ground looked liked just five years ago (around the time that plans for Ashton Vale were announced):

Stadium%2520pre%2520rebuild%2520empty.jp

And how it looked when full at that time (2008):

Stadium%2520in%25202008.jpg

After 140,000 hours of unpaid labour from 4,000 fans ... in 2010:

Stadium%25202010.jpg

And after 3,000 fans paid 500 EUR each for shares in the stadium company to fund the new grandstand (gaining by doing so an effective veto over any future change in the stadium name), plus investment in the stadium company from long-standing supportive businesses... how it looks in 2013:

Stadium%25202013.jpg

Dang that German efficiency.

In Bristol we'd still be hearing concerns from the blind fishmongers association or anyone else who had any tenuous objection...

I always thought Union Berlin were left and the workers team.

Archived