IGNORED

Sod To Cholchester United

CITYAREREDANDWHITE

His remit at our club was a long term plan to change the whole philosophy of the club.

He had to get rid,or sale all of our better players and replace them the best he could with ( probably) a third of the budget that managers like GJ were given.

The key words are " long term plan", he bought in several younger players, a couple experienced ones and had started to use lads from our academy.

We will never know what would have happened if our board hadnt panicked and once again cut a long term plan short.

The only way he could be judged imo is if he had been given the time promised to finish the long term plan.

He is a good coach,players,managers and other coaches say this. I back there judgment more than any ones opinion on here.

And so say all of us, well at least you and me + a few others

His remit at our club was a long term plan to change the whole philosophy of the club.

Clearly the board viewed 10 months and a massive cut in player budget and an almost completely new team as having little relevance to results and in the main was sufficient time to implement a long-term plan and a completely new philosophy.

The club makes me weep with frustration.

Clearly the board viewed 10 months and a massive cut in player budget and an almost completely new team as having little relevance to results and in the main was sufficient time to implement a long-term plan and a completely new philosophy.

The club makes me weep with frustration.

Completely agree with this. And in that respect, sadly, they seem to share those views with a significant number of supporters. For once, I thought the penny had dropped at City - shows how wrong you can be!

Exactly. There were many on here who for the first time in years wanted a manager to be given time to do the work he was employed to do. He brought academy players through, signed decent young players who for the first time in years actually looked committed as opposed to lots of overpaid under-committed players.

There's no getting away from the fact that results were dire, absolutely dire but I believe we could have and would have turned the corner and survived. I genuinely feel that replacing the manager has almost guaranteed relegation.

But as you say, those on here who were prepared to stick with the manager were referred to as happy clappers .

6 managers in three and a half years. Does that not tell you something?

Think you have summed up my thoughts superbly. I really do hope SC will succeed, if he succeeds we succeed so that's a no brained but that's cos I'm a real fan rather than the fans who just like to win points by being eight about their opinions and the fans that seem to enjoy our misery.

For one instance I have a 'fan' on my fb, first it was Johnson outthen ststraightaway copout was the saviour, then it was millen the saviour then followed a campaign to get Millen out then del was our saviour then followed a campaign to get del out then SOD was the saviour then followed a campaign to get him out. All this included many personal insults etc and it's not just that one fan, there is many more just like them and together their voices destroy this club. Now SC is the saviour by the way.

But like you and many others for once it seemed like SOD was a good fit, given time he would have been successful, he was building the club up from the bottom. I just wished the club had stuck with him and given him the same time they have now given SC.

I'm not a SOD fan I'm a City fan but for once I just wanted the club to stick to what they was saying. Their changing on plans has left a sour taste in my mouth if I'm honest.

I just wished the club had stuck with him and given him the same time they have now given SC.

I'm not a SOD fan I'm a City fan but for once I just wanted the club to stick to what they was saying. Their changing on plans has left a sour taste in my mouth if I'm honest.

I assume you refer to SC's 3 and 1/2 year deal? That means diddly squat really because we have seen time and again how any club will not let a contract run down if the board wants the manager dispensed with. The tenure of the contract, however, is a very bizarre one. It suggests the board were palpably weak in their negotiations during interview which, as we now know from Jon Lansdown, followed no normal interviewing process whatsoever.

I assume you refer to SC's 3 and 1/2 year deal? That means diddly squat really because we have seen time and again how any club will not let a contract run down if the board wants the manager dispensed with. The tenure of the contract, however, is a very bizarre one. It suggests the board were palpably weak in their negotiations during interview which, as we now know from Jon Lansdown, followed no normal interviewing process whatsoever.

SOD under pressure... SC mentions he has a job offer to the club who have decided that he will be the next manager if SOD leaves... They panic, sack SOD earlier than planned, and offer SC the job a few hours later. SC knows the board want him and gets whatever he asked for, including being involved in all aspects of the club, long contract and money for players which SOD alluded was not available to him at present hence our signings of mostly free tfrs.

Let's hope the board can grow some patience this time around, now that they got their man

I'd put a decent wager on him bein a huge success as his next club

Not sure - I can almost see him taking the G*s down :fingerscrossed:

As were Johnson and McInnes - anyone notice a pattern?

Are you referring to Johnson's highly successful time at Peterborough, or his glittering spell at Northampton?

But why let facts get in the way at a good dig at the club we apparently "support"?

Not sure - I can almost see him taking the G*s down :fingerscrossed:

Are you referring to Johnson's highly successful time at Peterborough, or his glittering spell at Northampton?

But why let facts get in the way at a good dig at the club we apparently "support"?

He didn't do that badly at Peterborough. They were in Playoffs with a 45% win rate. Allegedly it was a falling out with the board. 

Northampton he didn't do well at all, but he has done well nearly everywhere.

He didn't do that badly at Peterborough. They were in Playoffs with a 45% win rate. Allegedly it was a falling out with the board. 

Northampton he didn't do well at all, but he has done well nearly everywhere.

He was ok at Peterborough, just in the way of unfinished business between MacAnthony and Ferguson.

Didn't do at all well at Northampton, but in all fairness they were a basket case when he joined and they still are.

Nice to see some decent posts on here backing SOD, the man had to sell our best two players in the summer, and replaced them with peanut signings who would never do the job without given time, he told us all it would be painful at first, but the board have bottled it, and as we all saw Saturday, sacking him would not change a thing, infact the players didn't looked interested first half, we're in the sh1t big time...

I was told at Tamworth by a lady who works at the club that all the admin staff thought he was a pig of a guy.

Apparently as arrogant as they come and they are glad he is gone.

I have no reason to doubt her she seemed pretty firm on it.

There's a lot goes on at the club that most of us don't know or see.

that's exactly why he was sacked IMO - wasn't someone who'd say 'yes sir whatever you say sir' to the board like Millen/McInnes did and no doubt Cotterill will

Of course it was, clearly the lack of results had nothing to do with it :gaah:

Of course it was results.

But he was following the course the board had set him. Any manager who had come in when he did would have had the same remit.

Unless we had got a miracle worker nothing would have been different.

Or are you saying that we could have sold all our best players,cut the wage bill by 2/3rds and still had a successful season.

Regardless of the challenges though, the hurdles and obstacles, the difficulties and restraints, in the end, the job is to overcome them, not be sunk by them. Or look too much like you are being sunk by them. The job is to "manage" somehow. That means not being relegated. Not play offs, or top ten, nothing daft. But not bottom but one, going into December.

That is the job. SOD knew that, and he knew he was struggling, because the excuses had shifted from transition, years off failure, to the crowd being the team's "biggest obstacle," and in the last few weeks, it was lamenting lack of fortune.

I say all this as someone who liked the idea of SOD and very much wants to see stability and someone "given time." In return for being "given time" though, the employee must give something in return: not excuses, not miracles, but enough wins and points to see us comfortably clear of the drop zone. Not an unreasonable request or job at this level, for this club. To my eyes.

SOD just had us flirting a bit too much with relegation again.

That's why I think the board did what they did, ultimately. I think they were in a tricky spot, a "damned if they do, damned if they don't" situation. There are valid points on both sides of the debate. But being second from bottom, approaching the season's halfway stage, following a relegation, as well as a reportedly cool relationship with key figures at the club, 2 wins in 18...

Oh, I don't know....

I was told at Tamworth by a lady who works at the club that all the admin staff thought he was a pig of a guy.

Apparently as arrogant as they come and they are glad he is gone.

I have no reason to doubt her she seemed pretty firm on it.

There's a lot goes on at the club that most of us don't know or see.

I stand corrected.

If SOD peed off the tea lady he MUST be an incompetent football coach.

Makes perfect sense now...

Did said tea lady bake SC a welcome cake btw?

Just asking like.

He had to get rid,or sale all of our better players and replace them the best he could with ( probably) a third of the budget that managers like GJ were given.

The key words are " long term plan", he bought in several younger players, a couple experienced ones and had started to use lads from our academy.

We will never know what would have happened if our board hadnt panicked and once again cut a long term plan short.

The only way he could be judged imo is if he had been given the time promised to finish the long term plan.

He is a good coach,players,managers and other coaches say this. I back there judgment more than any ones opinion on here.

Yeah I agree with the changing of the philosophy of the club.  This has needed to happen for many years.  You cant just keep throwing money at something in the hope that it will make it work better.  It simple common sense.  Here are my problems with SOD, the football on the pitch that he was producing was dire, week in, week out.  It was not good to watch, leaving many people feeling unentertained.  He was given time, lots of it in fact.   A good coach/manager will be able to produce on match day, SOD was for the most part not able to at this club for whatever reason.  He has left the club in a situation where we are bottom of the division.  This is his doing by not winning matches.  I wanted it to work for SOD, but sadly it did not.  It did anything but work.   People talk about the game against Orient like it was a fact that SOD was turning a losing side into a winning one.  For me it was more like a man who had be told to get a win that game or otherwise a sacking.  He did not win that game. 

Yeah I agree with the changing of the philosophy of the club. This has needed to happen for many years. You cant just keep throwing money at something in the hope that it will make it work better. It simple common sense. Here are my problems with SOD, the football on the pitch that he was producing was dire, week in, week out. It was not good to watch, leaving many people feeling unentertained. He was given time, lots of it in fact. A good coach/manager will be able to produce on match day, SOD was for the most part not able to at this club for whatever reason. He has left the club in a situation where we are bottom of the division. This is his doing by not winning matches. I wanted it to work for SOD, but sadly it did not. It did anything but work. People talk about the game against Orient like it was a fact that SOD was turning a losing side into a winning one. For me it was more like a man who had be told to get a win that game or otherwise a sacking. He did not win that game.

I can't disagree with most of what you say, but if you think that 10 months is lots of time then I worry for SC!

I can't disagree with most of what you say, but if you think that 10 months is lots of time then I worry for SC!

It wasn't even that. The majority of the team were put together over the summer so he's had around four months.

At least he got rid of most of the players we wanted gone, played some of the younger players as we wanted. And continued cutting our wages so we could start to live within our means.

It was a demolition job for a lot of the club trying to start on a new / better course.. The board hid away however, and let the team and manager take the full hit of the changes forced on the club. We got just one interview from JL saying patience and time were needed, then the board panic and recast the dice.

This time Let's hope they have got it right and have the courage of their convictions for once.

The board hid away however, and let the team and manager take the full hit of the changes forced on the club. We got just one interview from JL saying patience and time were needed, then the board panic and recast the dice.

This time Let's hope they have got it right and have the courage of their convictions for once.

Indeed, the board of directors have recast the dice. However, the Lansdowns don't seem too good at throwing dice. Steve Cotterill's appointment represents yet another throw of the dice with an ever decreasing pot of money with which to back him.

His hands must of been really tied if as was said at fans parliament he had used only 46% of our turnover.

If we had 8 million turnover and can only use 4.8 million of that then he was at 3.3 million wages including Elliott Kilkenny Pearson Fontaine and Kelly. Seems he had about as much money as Crewe etc. to play with and we wonder why we are near the bottom of the league, when we aren't able to spend the cash.

His hands must of been really tied if as was said at fans parliament he had used only 46% of our turnover.

If we had 8 million turnover and can only use 4.8 million of that then he was at 3.3 million wages including Elliott Kilkenny Pearson Fontaine and Kelly. Seems he had about as much money as Crewe etc. to play with and we wonder why we are near the bottom of the league, when we aren't able to spend the cash.

his budget was problly in the top 3 in this league with only Sheffield United (bigger crowds) Wolves (para payments) being greater,

He was afforded the luxury of signing more then 14 players (more then any other club in this league) he spent alot on money of Flint (who I don't rate) and Fielding (who he dropped and didn't play) as well as having to pay compensation for Pack Wynter and Williams,

We are bottom of the league and its 90% SoD's fault

Archived