IGNORED

New Players In January

Ronnie

Money not made available to SOD?

What about Aden Flint and Marlon Pack - weren't they both 6-figure transfer fees (an amount of money that three quarters of the managers in this league would bite your arm off to spend)?

What about Fielding, Williams, Wagstaff, JET, Parish, Harewood and Shorey? Did they come on zero wages?

Most of the players SOD brought in have underperformed woefully. I don't buy the argument he wasn't supported financially.

46% of our wage budget being used. Our higher earners Fontaine, Kilkenny, Pearson, O'Connor, Wilson are in that figure and expected to leave as soon we can off load them.

So our actual playing squad is what ? Less than 30% of our total available wage bill... Whether we agree with the amount players earn as being to high, they are proportionate to a players quality... We can say we have one of the highest paying budgets in this league, but it's a meaningless advantage if we don't use it.

Yeah I can't claim to be open minded about Cotterill. I know quite a bit about him and I'll leave it at that. I'd genuinely love to be wrong.

In any case, bringing in six players in January is far too much change mid season in my opinion.

I thought the defence he built at Cheltenham and others have been superb, I think the first thing that will happen is we will stop leaking goals.

I see Wade Elliott hasn't been getting much of a look in at Birmingham since his red card a few weeks back, He'd be a good shout on loan? i know he's 35 now but i think he will do a good job.

I'd also like to see us go for a couple on loan from prem teams.

Chuba Akpom from Arsenal and Larnell Cole from Man United would be decent. These 2 would give us some decent attacking options.

Centre forwards currently not getting a game in the Championship include: Gestede, Sammon, Dobbie, Fortune, Taylor-Fltcher, Tudgay. Of that list I would advocate having a look at Connor Sammon. I thought he was excellent in leading the line for Derby against us last season and would be a conplementary foil for our sniffer and his languid compadre. We seem to have a good relationship with Derby, he is out of favour and he would be a realistic target that would improve the starting 11. He does lack goals but bringing in a target man would get the best out of Baldock and allow JET to sit in his preferred role off the front. Also, it might see this turgid tactic of whacking the ball upfield only to lose it straight away because Sam isn't a target man actually bear fruit.

A team based around current and possible players from this thread...

................................Federici..................................

........osbourne...........flint................Williams..........

Moloney.............................................Cunningham

.................Reid........Kelly......pack........................

.....................salmon.......baldock..........................

Subs: Bryan, Parrish, wynter, wagstaff, larnell cole, akpom, another cb.

I feel jet will be sold to highest bidder in jan and forest are looking for a striker of his type.

I also think fielding will be sold and someone mentioned federici who would be a good loan signing.

Salmon would also be a great foil for baldock as suggested but he can also score himself. Would be good signing.

Looking forward to kelly coming back as he will provide the steel in midfield and I think wynter will be his understudy.

I have a feeling 3-5-2 is a preferred formation for us and will work if we can utilise the wide positions with wingers or wing backs. More crosses into the box for potential striker salmon would create more chances.

I think we need to think of looking for success without jet as he won't be here long term and he makes is too one dimensional.

Sorry of I upset people suggesting this...

SC is hoping to bring in six new players during January, talks with some of them have already started. I don't know if any have to leave to make this happen but l guess there will be departures.

:source:

Shocking piece of management to be honest announcing there will be "big changes" halfway through a season. Especially with many youngsters - hardly a confidence booster.

I don't disagree we need a few players (not sure about 6) but to go public with it is daft.

But has he, kid?

SC was at the Senior Reds Christmas dinner when he said he would  be looking to bring in six players during January and that talks had already begun with some of them.

Cheers for the info. Good to see he's already got irons in the fire.

I see Wade Elliott hasn't been getting much of a look in at Birmingham since his red card a few weeks back, He'd be a good shout on loan? i know he's 35 now but i think he will do a good job.

I'd also like to see us go for a couple on loan from prem teams.

Chuba Akpom from Arsenal and Larnell Cole from Man United would be decent. These 2 would give us some decent attacking options.

I understand that we were interested in Chuba Akpom in the summer, after the Assombalonga interest died down.  Whether that can be kick-started again I don't know?

In January, I'd be looking at some of the players who will be out of contract in June 2014, we might be able to get a couple of them cheaper than we would've last summer.  Not saying we have a chance at any of these, but here's a list of some good players in Leagues 1 & 2 who are Out of Contract this season :

GK : Mark Gillespie - Carlisle, Scott Flinders - Hartlepool

LB : Scott Laird - Preston, Ben Purrington - Plymouth

RB : Stephen Darby - Bradford, Shaleum Logan - Brentford, Lloyd James - Orient, Ryan Jackson - Newport, Joe Rafferty - Rochdale

CB : Mark Connolly - Crawley, Scot Bennett - Exeter, Jack Baldwin - Hartlepool, Curtis Nelson - Plymouth

CM : Nathan Doyle - Bradford, Stephen Gleeson - MK, James Wallace - Tranmere, Matt Palmer - Burton, Matt Grimes - Exeter

AM/Wing : Luke Freeman - Stevenage, Frank Moussa - Coventry, Nicky Adams - Crawley, Romaine Sawyers - Walsall, Jay O'Shea - Chesterfield

ST : Max Clayton - Crewe, Jonson Clarke-Harris - Oldham, Kieran Agard - Rotherham, Shay McCartan - Accrington, Luke James - Hartlepool, Jack Redshaw - Morecombe, Matt Lecointe - Plymouth, Mitchell Pinnock - Southend

That'd be my shortlist to work through.  I'd be very interested to see a team of :

Gillespie

Rafferty - Bennett - Baldwin - Purrington

Adams - Gleeson - Wallace - Freeman

James - Redshaw

Archived