IGNORED

John Galley

tiz

I had a chance meeting with him in Nottingham where he ran a hostel for the young Forest players.

He was a guest of one of my clients who got a little left out as we talked more City than wine (i was a wine merchant )

I apologised to my client later but he assured me that John had spent a super evening and did n't mind my fawning one bit !

The great John Galley. My all time favorite city player. I remember standing behind the goal in the East End against Birmingham City

when JG hit a shot that hit the base of the post so hard the cross bar started to wobble. He was great with us kids, always finding time

to chat to us and give us the odd sweet or two. How we could do with a JG right now.

Remember him well.  Signed from Rotherham I believe.  In his early days he was netting at a rate on 1 per game if I remember rightly.

Got injured a lot - recurring problems with an ankle and ingrowing toenail.

I remember one game when he was playing alongside Chris Garland and Chris had set him up about a dozen times and he missed them all. When he finally converted one of Chris's assists, he stood and clapped him as if to say - about time - you've missed a whole pile of sitters today.

JG was a good servant to city and well liked by the fans.  In fact the team were useless when he was out injured and the reserve centre forward (Terry Bush) just couldn't hack it.

IAN

Amazing signing by Dicks as he arrived at Ashton Gate in a plaster cast on his leg from Rotherham. Big strong centre forward who could score with his head or right foot. Big Favourite of the East End who's sung " We'll walk a million miles for one of your goals John Galley". Turned out to be good signing for Dicks as it helped City stay in the old second division.  

Great player - my first real City hero.

I remember him scoring (v Birmingham I think) with a header from the edge of the box - he could head a ball as hard as some could shoot.

John Galley, Superstar, How many goals have you scored so far.

Is it two, is it four, he won't be happy til he's got one more

to Jesus Christ Superstar (never really scanned though!)

As a Rovers fan, he was the first City player I remember as a bit of a star player. We had Smash and Grab (who were obviously better :) and you had Galley. I'm not sure if I ever saw him play live, I remember him playing in games on the Big Match, but my first derby game I saw live was the 4-1 defeat in the wind at Eastville  ,Cheesley played in that one (before people realised how good he was) and I suppose that was around the time Galley had just left- was Cheesley his replacement?

Galley was replaced by Bobby gould, cheesley was a couple of seasons later.

I believe we bought Bobby Gould with the money from selling Chris Garland to Chelsea. I think John was replaced by some of the younger players like Peter Spiring and Keith Fear. Galley just hit the ball hard both with feet and head, beat the goalies with pace (not sure his technique would work so well with modern footballs), but didn't have any ball control, he'd have to hit the ball first time.

I remember these songs well. I saw my first game in 1970 at four years old. I remember standing on a stall in the east end awe struck with the crowd and being part of it. But I cant remember the players no mattef how much I look at the pictures. Dads hero was Atyeo and I remember him and my uncle gilb discussing if galley was as good. Funny I remember Bill the waterworks man shouting. Just wish things were clearer pre 1974

Around that time we also bought Donnie Gillies who started life as a striker before being converted to a right back.  Donnie scored 3 historic goals for City, the first being the winning goal at Elland Road in the FA Cup in 1974.  The one that gets forgotten (probably because of Paul Cheesley's exploits at Highbury a few days earlier) was the first City goal in the top flight at Ashton Gate for 65 years in the 1-1 draw with Stoke (that match is infamously remembered for Cheesley's career-ending injury).. The third and, for me the most important, was the equalising goal at Coventry in the (in) famous 2-2 draw.  His goal, this time from the right back position, kept us in the First Division :clapping:

From memory (which is shit!) Garland was sold to pay for the Dolman stand, or the last bit of it and Gillies replaced Gould.

I liked Gillies until he played for the squatters,I remember Gould wa never a fav of mine.  Galley was an early favorite of tho, along with Garland.

My first game (that I remember) was in 1970 , Sunderland 4-3.

From memory (which is shit!) Garland was sold to pay for the Dolman stand, or the last bit of it and Gillies replaced Gould.

I liked Gillies until he played for the squatters,I remember Gould wa never a fav of mine.  Galley was an early favorite of tho, along with Garland.

My first game (that I remember) was in 1970 , Sunderland 4-3.

Gillies replaced Galley, not that he did, took him MONTHS to score his first goal !

Always remember John galley lived in a house on Whitchurch Lane and whenever I go along there the thought always is ' that was John galleys House !! ' as an EE in the 60's remember singing ' we'll walk a million miles, for one of your goals John Galley ' Happy days :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I remember singing songs about John Galley and even saw him play but can't remember that. Any old boys remember him. Scored at a good rate it seems nearly a goal every two games.

Anyone got any footage

Saw him all the time. Have no footage but as a kid managed to get his home phone number and would call sometimes to have a chat. Always polite and a true gent. Great player

The great John Galley. My all time favorite city player. I remember standing behind the goal in the East End against Birmingham City

when JG hit a shot that hit the base of the post so hard the cross bar started to wobble. He was great with us kids, always finding time

to chat to us and give us the odd sweet or two. How we could do with a JG right now.

I recall that game also

Archived