IGNORED

John Galley

tiz

Always remember John galley lived in a house on Whitchurch Lane and whenever I go along there the thought always is ' that was John galleys House !! ' as an EE in the 60's remember singing ' we'll walk a million miles, for one of your goals John Galley ' Happy days :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

626 Whitchurch Lane,(new houses at the time), near the newt pond!

I remember singing songs about John Galley and even saw him play but can't remember that. Any old boys remember him. Scored at a good rate it seems nearly a goal every two games.

Anyone got any footage

Old Boys not sure I like that!!

Anyway a good player in the bustling CF mode of the day. Saw him score many goals for us at home and away and is remembered fondly by most who are old enough to!

I always John had much more of an affinity with Forest than us, but cant hold that against him. Over that late 60's mid70's timeframe we had Garland Cheese Ritchie Fear Gould among a few others (Im sure someone will add some names..:laugh:) playing for us in the front...Great players who I hope we will see the likes of again one day!!

Amazing signing by Dicks as he arrived at Ashton Gate in a plaster cast on his leg from Rotherham. Big strong centre forward who could score with his head or right foot. Big Favourite of the East End who's sung " We'll walk a million miles for one of your goals John Galley". Turned out to be good signing for Dicks as it helped City stay in the old second division.  

Tis true! AD was assured that when the plaster came off, Galley's leg would be OK. The Doctor was right. A few weeks later JG made his debut and scored all three goals in a 3-0 victory at Huddersfield. John (ironically) was the sought after replacement for John Atyeo. We couldn't  believe it when Galley was sold to Forest and replaced the following day by Bobby Gould. IMO we didn't have a proper centre forward again until Bob Taylor.

Tis true! AD was assured that when the plaster came off, Galley's leg would be OK. The Doctor was right. A few weeks later JG made his debut and scored all three goals in a 3-0 victory at Huddersfield. John (ironically) was the sought after replacement for John Atyeo. We couldn't  believe it when Galley was sold to Forest and replaced the following day by Bobby Gould. IMO we didn't have a proper centre forward again until Bob Taylor.

um..cheesley?

As a Rovers fan, he was the first City player I remember as a bit of a star player. We had Smash and Grab (who were obviously better :) and you had Galley. I'm not sure if I ever saw him play live, I remember him playing in games on the Big Match, but my first derby game I saw live was the 4-1 defeat in the wind at Eastville  ,Cheesley played in that one (before people realised how good he was) and I suppose that was around the time Galley had just left- was Cheesley his replacement?

That will be Warboys and Bannister if my memory serves me right young saghead, also remember Mr H Jarman and Mr F Prince and his battles with The Boss G.GOW :worship2: 

Anyway back to City`s G Men Galley ,Garland, Gibbo and Gow oh to have any of them or those others from that great team back then, here right now :city: the only one close to them now is Carey.

Super John and the rest will never be forgotten as we all hope to see the likes of them again soon :fingerscrossed:

Mike Gibson in goal.

Speedy Drysdale no 3.  Dickie Rooks. Gordon Parr, Ken Wilmshurst.

Legends!

Along with the aforementioned legends, (Skirton, Sharpe, Kellard, Garland, & Galley) .... Trevor Jacobs at no2 completes the usual line-up of the day, until he went 'crackers' and joined the Gassy ones.

(saddest moment I recall from those great times was the sickening crack that echoed around the ground when our flying winger Gerry Sharpe suffered a career ending broken leg against Boro... happened near the byeline in front of the Enclosure (now Williams Stand)

Along with the aforementioned legends, (Skirton, Sharpe, Kellard, Garland, & Galley) .... Trevor Jacobs at no2 completes the usual line-up of the day, until he went 'crackers' and joined the Gassy ones.

(saddest moment I recall from those great times was the sickening crack that echoed around the ground when our flying winger Gerry Sharpe suffered a career ending broken leg against Boro... happened near the byeline in front of the Enclosure (now Williams Stand)

Eric Mcmordie did him and his career was over. Very sad. What a sorry end to

such a promising player.

I remember that awful sound to this day. Are you sure it was I front of the Williams, I thought it was in front of the Dolman near the half way line. I recall him being brought around the touch line In front of the open end, as he went past I heard him say " it's bleeding" in a voice full of agony. The most sickening memory I have of Ashton Gate.

Yep, I remember that game well. He was tackled by one Eric McMordie when it happened. I was in the Dolman and we heard the crack there as well.

Yep, I remember that game well. He was tackled by one Eric McMordie when it happened. I was in the Dolman and we heard the crack there as well.

I was on the Open (Park) End and the noise was sickening. Horrible memory, and the end of a very good player's career :(

I remember that awful sound to this day. Are you sure it was I front of the Williams, I thought it was in front of the Dolman near the half way line. I recall him being brought around the touch line In front of the open end, as he went past I heard him say " it's bleeding" in a voice full of agony. The most sickening memory I have of Ashton Gate.

Ditto I remember it being between halfway line and the now atyeo end on Dolman side ?

Archived