IGNORED

Liverpool Fa Cup 20 Yrs...

S. Bristol Born & Red

'Sounness out' painted on various walls around Ashton Gate.

Remember some of the Liverpool players (including a certain David James) coming out onto the pitch in their suits, thinking they looked like right posers and taking a bit of stick from City fans.

Start of the match City going 1 down quite early and thinking we would take a right hammering.  City came back well and the place going mad when Wayne equalised.  The spontaneous cheer when the lights went out.

The replay. Travelled up with a couple of Liverpool fans we knew in the back.  Abuse on the motorway from City fans when they saw the back of our car, thumbs up when they saw the front! Services jam packed with City fans.

An unforgettable night. Remember it was quite breezy. Had to laugh when one of the lights in the Kop nearly fell down so we could return the chant of 'shitty ground' after the floodlight failure.  The whole of the Kop staying a long time after full time to applaud the City team off, literally made the hairs on my neck stand up.  I remember comparing it to us losing to lower division Torquay a few seasons previously and our fans waiting outside after for their fans to come out, rather than applauding their team off.  Kept the police horses busy that day.

The stadium announcer asking us to leave the stadium as we stayed behind to celebrate for ages - sounds like they still have the same announcer whenever I hear him on MoTd.

The Liverpool fans were very gracious outside the ground too, probably partly because they knew they would be shot of Sounness.

Not a great story as such, just my rambling recollections of one of the greatest times to be a City fan.

Would love to hear other people's memories

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/FA-Cup-City-Special-Fawthrop-played-City-s-great/story-20395053-detail/story.html

Looks like we have Tony to thank but if you read Souness;s autobiography he says that he was in the hotel room next to our 's and heard our tactics but could not stop it !

A great night and probably Beryl Fudges greats achievement,getting so many of us to Anfield  and I know that she kept a photo of the away end (8000 that she got there )in her office at the club.

Remember some of the Liverpool players (including a certain David James) coming out onto the pitch in their suits, thinking they looked like right posers and taking a bit of stick from City fans.

Start of the match City going 1 down quite early and thinking we would take a right hammering.  City came back well and the place going mad when Wayne equalised.  The spontaneous cheer when the lights went out.

The replay. Travelled up with a couple of Liverpool fans we knew in the back.  Abuse on the motorway from City fans when they saw the back of our car, thumbs up when they saw the front! Services jam packed with City fans.

An unforgettable night. Remember it was quite breezy. Had to laugh when one of the lights in the Kop nearly fell down so we could return the chant of 'shitty ground' after the floodlight failure.  The whole of the Kop staying a long time after full time to applaud the City team off, literally made the hairs on my neck stand up.  I remember comparing it to us losing to lower division Torquay a few seasons previously and our fans waiting outside after for their fans to come out, rather than applauding their team off.  Kept the police horses busy that day.

The stadium announcer asking us to leave the stadium as we stayed behind to celebrate for ages - sounds like they still have the same announcer whenever I hear him on MoTd.

The Liverpool fans were very gracious outside the ground too, probably partly because they knew they would be shot of Sounness.

Not a great story as such, just my rambling recollections of one of the greatest times to be a City fan.

Bit blurred as I was still in the womb (born 7 months later) but remember going nuts when Tins scored. 

Start of the match City going 1 down quite early and thinking we would take a right hammering. City came back well and the place going mad when Wayne equalised. The spontaneous cheer when the lights went out.

The replay. Travelled up with a couple of Liverpool fans we knew in the back. Abuse on the motorway from City fans when they saw the back of our car, thumbs up when they saw the front! Services jam packed with City fans.

An unforgettable night. Remember it was quite breezy. Had to laugh when one of the lights in the Kop nearly fell down so we could return the chant of 'shitty ground' after the floodlight failure. The whole of the Kop staying a long time after full time to applaud the City team off, literally made the hairs on my neck stand up. I remember comparing it to us losing to lower division Torquay a few seasons previously and our fans waiting outside after for their fans to come out, rather than applauding their team off. Kept the police horses busy that day.

There was a game in between those two I believe... a goalless draw at AG.

Anyway, the (official) replay at Anfield is my best footballing memory...

... as someone of blue persuasion when it comes to Merseyside, this was the night that I stopped hating Liverpool... their fans were superbly gracious in defeat, not only on the night but also in the following days. (Although the fact that we had just got rid of Souness for them may have helped).

Still can't 'like' them though... up the Toffees!! :-)

There was another game, but it wasn't goalless, it was a carbon copy of the first game, Ian Rush scored first before Big Wayne equalised.

I remember making a flag at home out of an old bedsheet and hanging it up on the barrier behind the goal in the East End, only to find out on MOTD that it had fallen down right at the start of the game! Still, was quite nice to point it out to my daughters on the news last night!

Those two games at the Gate were the best atmosphere I can remember - I was at the Forest game in 89 with my blow up 6ft T-Rex but I was only 9 so its a bit fuzzy.

Just cant believe that the Anfield game was the only game I missed from that years run to the 5th round - Stockport away in the 4th, Wayne Allison hatrick, Leroy Rosenior playing centre back and marking 6ft 7 Kevin Francis out of the game, even with his dodgy knees and the Charlton in the 5th round, 1-1 at the Gate, Tinman having a perfectly good goal from a free kick diallowed and then losing the replay.

Good times indeed!

Proud to have been there, can't believe where that 20 years has gone. One of my few trips to a big club, I was used to standing in our shallow Eastend at the Gate so it was a bit of a shock to be so high and steep at Anfield. The Kop, all terracing looked amazing, you'll never walk alone is a true anthem. Saw the Hillsborough eternal flame/ gates before the match. I'm sure it was pouring with rain whilst we were outside. Remember seeing 'celebrity' Liverpool fans such as Stan Boardman driving his Roller into the car park. The motorways were a mass of City fans, coaches, vans, (with the old 0272 dialling code on them) cars, motorbikes. It was a huge exodus from Bristol.

When are we going to see anything like this again....

The Evening Post printed a whole page poster saying something like "come on city you can do it" to place in your car window...oh yes that evil evil paper,,,,

3 car loads left Chepstow in convoy although TBH one of the cars had 4 scousers in it if i recall correctly..

Lots of Cider and motorway bridge stops later we parked up somewhere around Stanley Park and were imeadiatley approached by little scouse gits asking for a "quid to look after yer car mister" ..... my mate said "dont need it... we got a rottweiler in the back" to which this little scrote said "yeh but can it put out fires"  ,,,,,,

I think we all gave him a quid for that comment alone.....

We headed to the nearest pub which was rammed with city and impossible to get to bar so we quickly discussed going somewhere else only to be informed by the local bobby outside that every boozer was the same....well there was over 8000 of us,

The game was pretty much as per the highlights reel shows, Juniors pace giving them trouble all night allowing for a couple of one on ones with Grobbelar, one of which resulted in a Grobbs delibarate hand ball outside the box...would be a red card now .... Welchy making a couple of fine saves and of course big Wayne running his socks off up front (btw take alook at his sublime nearpost header at AG which won us the replay) then that sweetest of left foot strikes from Tinman himself, a goal that a scouser afterwards told me they all knew was coming from the way we were playing.

But my biggest memory was the rendition of "Drink up thee cider" at the end while the players celebrated on the pitch in front of us .. the loudest and best rendition I have EVER heard from our west country choir.. it went on for what seemed an age and then my mate said "look at the kop".... no kidding they had stayed almost to a man , waiting patiently for our team to finish celebrating with us and the applauding them off the pitch......

Make no mistake, this was no backs to the wall hanging on giant killing , we went there and played football,,,more than matching their team full of stars and earning the respect of their fans.....

Anyway, the (official) replay at Anfield is my best footballing memory...

... as someone of blue persuasion when it comes to Merseyside, this was the night that I stopped hating Liverpool... their fans were superbly gracious in defeat, not only on the night but also in the following days. (Although the fact that we had just got rid of Souness for them may have helped).

Still can't 'like' them though... up the Toffees!! :-)

My dad was there and he spoke of seeing scousers actually crying outside the ground.

They were all - as you say - gracious in defeat however and dad and his mates had drinks bought for them all night.

Brilliant night. 4 of us by car had trouble parking a few offers/threats by some of the locals luckily our car was in one piece when we returned! Atmosphere was amazing and City played so well deserving the win. The team being applauded by the Kop was very special.

Remember stopping in a pub just on the way out of Liverpool (St. Helens maybe?) A full coach load of City fans walked through the door. The pub fell silent, all eyes on the invading strangers. Then a huge cheer, turns out most of them, and more importantly the landlord, were Everton fans.

We had a good few drinks and a bit of a 'late un'. Got back to Bristol about 5am, got dropped off on the centre and by the time I'd managed to get home my Mrs was just leaving to go to work and I jumped straight into a warm bed. Happy days!!

We went up in 2 seven seater cars, arrived about half eleven or so wondering where to park. Asked the bloke on the gates at Anfield who was all for waving us into the ground thinking we were MoTD staff !!

Wandering around Liverpool having a great day on it, I think we thought we'd missed our chance not winning at the Gate . I remember a mate buying some food off one of the many skallies that came into the pubs, turned out he bought fish sticks,  and they were frozen !

I hated Osman , and his "style" of football was as bad/boring as any I've seen, that said the two and a bit games against a still very good L'pool team we were brilliant.

I love the clip of Dave Martin playing triangles around their mid field and setting up a chance (another Jnr miss ?) we did play some good stuff.

Anyone have any idea how many of the squad from this game will be there today... Tinns, Andy Llewellyn & Mark Shail... Stuart Munro is in Oz... Martin Scott with Barnsley & Rob Edward at Exeter... will be at their games I would have thought?

Don't think Scotty is with Barnsley, according to the Post, so imagine he'd be free.

The thing that I remember well is being in a boozer close to the ground and a procession of guys comming in and tryng to

sell us just about every thing you can think of, meat, eggs, fags,bread etc you name it they were trying to flog it.

All very polite and wishing us the best for the match. Just watched the highlights link, what a game that was, lets

hope we progress today and get a repeat performance.

Archived