IGNORED

Liverpool Fa Cup 20 Yrs...

S. Bristol Born & Red

My main memory is of the second game at the Gate, due to congestion in the east end, we were ushered on to the small terracing that used to be in front of the Dolman wall.

Being that close to the pitch all I could hear most of the game was Ruddock chatting to the ref. This only drew attention to what a terrible player he was. He got pulled to pieces by Wayner. Overweight, slow and past it.

It is a bit sad that we go on about this match so much, especially the following 5 or 6 years. At the end of the day we were a championship team and they were the worst Liverpool team in at least 30 years. As far as league places go it wasn't the biggest cup shock ever but I suppose when you look at our record in the cup, before and since, it was our cup final.

Ah Ruddock. I saw the Liverpool coach arrive at the Gate, people were obviously crowding round and looking, some fans were giving Liverpool players some stick, just banter. Many of them just laughed and waved, Ruddock had obviously been playing cards and he held up wads of money and was taunting the fans. I've never seen the mood change so fast, or the look on his face when the City fans surged towards him!

Getting to Liverpool at 12 noon for a 7.45 KO :P Going into the ground and seeing a bookies booth and putting a few quid on Tinnon to score first... paid for the trip!

I remember someone on the night celebrating having backed Tinnion to score - Might even have been you!

Archived