IGNORED

Getting Into The Gate ..

swampy

Between '63 and maybe 1990 I just turned up on the day and paid at the turnstile.  Last time I went across it was Mr Gow's testimonial .. spent half an hour queuing up to buy a ticket.  With the tickets being so cheap tomorrow I might come to the Gate for the first time in years for a proper game.  So the question is how do I buy a ticket??  Can I pay at the gate ... or is it more complicated?? 

Ignore Moor2Sea, blatently got a lump of coal for Xmas.

I believe you just need to queue at the Williams stand, near the club shop.

Alternatively, you may be able to phone up beforehand and collect your ticket in the ticket collections hut. This is opposite the Williams Directors Lounge entrance.

Ticket number: 0117 963 0600

It's important that if you want to phone up beforehand and purchase tickets, I believe the phone line closes by mid-day.

If unsure of where to go to sort your tickets, ask a steward.

And as mentioned already (in alternative words), ignore petulant posters :)

Ignore Moor2Sea, blatently got a lump of coal for Xmas.

I believe you just need to queue at the Williams stand, near the club shop.

Alternatively, you may be able to phone up beforehand and collect your ticket in the ticket collections hut. This is opposite the Williams Directors Lounge entrance.

Ticket number: 0117 963 0600

It's important that if you want to phone up beforehand and purchase tickets, I believe the phone line closes by mid-day.

If unsure of where to go to sort your tickets, ask a steward.

And as mentioned already (in alternative words), ignore petulant posters :)

Modern football eh! Wouldn't it be easier to just queue at the turnstile and pay to go in?

Sorry Scrumps suffered a bad dose of common sense at Xmas.

Gone are the days of standing in a single queue that moves rapidly to one-stop shop turnstiles.

Instead we have a throng of people stood motionless at the Williams to about 6 badly signed booths. Away fans intermingling with home fans, people picking up tickets, getting tickets for away matches, when you get to the hatch you spend 5 minutes rather than 30 seconds to do the transaction.

Your ordeal is far from over once you have acquired your tickets. You then walk around the stadium to join another queue. That queue stops and starts while people fiddle around with wallets, push tickets in and out of a machine upside down and the wrong way around, the machine then fails or the queues build up to such a degree you then get waved through.

If you wanted to have a more customer unfriendly system you'd have to go a long way to find one.

Bring back cash only turnstiles and unreserved seating and standing.

I expect any club that has pay on the turnstiles loses a lot of money through the turnstile operators pockets.

The most frustrating thing about buying tickets now is the data capture they try and do when you buy them, name, postcode, adress. Ridiculous how you need to give that to buy a ticket.

I expect any club that has pay on the turnstiles loses a lot of money through the turnstile operators pockets.

The most frustrating thing about buying tickets now is the data capture they try and do when you buy them, name, postcode, adress. Ridiculous how you need to give that to buy a ticket.

It's in case they have to ban you! Ridiculous system though, I agree.

I bought online and collected at the ground for the last couple I've been to.  A lot quicker than turning up and buying at the window outside the Williams.  There's even an in door and an out door for collections.  Tickets sorted by surname so you know which person to go to.  Have to say I can't fault it.

About as convenient as a ticket service could be, so it was removed.

Their management meetings must be productive.

It was removed when we were having serious issues with the hand held scanners and staff had to visually inspect the ticket before admitting entry. Word was getting round and there were more photocopies presented than actual tickets at the turnstiles. Now that the system is up and running properly, expect a return of the paper tickets in the very near future.

I bought online and collected at the ground for the last couple I've been to. A lot quicker than turning up and buying at the window outside the Williams. There's even an in door and an out door for collections. Tickets sorted by surname so you know which person to go to. Have to say I can't fault it.

This is best. Many pay beforehand and pick their tickets up. It's actually quicker than pay on the day.

A few weeks back I had misplaced my season ticket and it was too late to call the ticket office. So when I got to the ground, I mentioned it to a steward, he directed me to the ticket collections office and a replacement ticket was printed and it took less than 2 minutes to process, plus no queue!

As mentioned, ticketing has become a more sustainable and audit friendly for the clubs sake, working in line with moving with the times.

It'll never be favoured by all, whatever methods are used.

Did you gave to pay for the replacement ticket?

Nope.

No quibble or issues.

I naturally went to queue at the Williams, but thought to ask a steward. He then said go to the collections office. Confirmed my seat/details and a replacement was printed there and then.

Credit where it is due, despite all the moaning - the stewards and ticketing team came up trumps.

I've reached the stage where, if I haven't bought an advance ticket, I don't bother to go.

I presume this is what the club wants, so it's a win/win situation - isn't it?

You'd rather sit on OTIB moaning about the situation, I think that has been quite clear over the last couple of seasons ;).

You'd rather sit on OTIB moaning about the situation, I think that has been quite clear over the last couple of seasons ;).

No. I'd rather be able to walk up, buy a ticket and go in as the mood takes me. I don't have to book my bus to the ground in advance, why should I have to book my match ticket in advance?

No. I'd rather be able to walk up, buy a ticket and go in as the mood takes me. I don't have to book my bus to the ground in advance, why should I have to book my match ticket in advance?

Because they are two completely different services that operate in completely different ways, with different security and operational concerns. You're comparing 50-60 oranges with 12,000 apples, in one instance.

Because they are two completely different services that operate in completely different ways, with different security and operational concerns. You're comparing 50-60 oranges with 12,000 apples, in one instance.

I would guess that far more than 12,000 people use the buses over a two-hour period on a Saturday afternoon.

Last time cash was taken at the turnstiles only a percentage found its way to the club. This is why they'd be wary of bringing that system back.

Why is turnstile payment an issue.

Worked for years and many clubs still no doubt use it, basically what your saying is the club don't trust their own staff?

It would be nice if City could be a bit more imaginative. There's no reason why you shouldn't be able to pay cash at a turnstile. Each turnstile counts how many people have passed through so the cash the turnstile operator has to hand over is known. Another more modern idea would be to have a few turnstiles where you pay by plastic. Stick your card in the slot enter your PIN, and in you go. No chance of this happening with the current ground but should be possible after the redevelopment.

If City really want to get bigger crowds, the club has got to attract the occasional supporter. To do that City have got to live in the modern world where it's actually easy to get into the ground.

For me the ticket collection today was appalling, the line is never usually as long as it was.

As it should be. We only want the REAL fans who are prepared to queue for hours in the rain. If you're not, stay away and keep your nasty money for yourselves.

Archived