IGNORED

Are Things Getting Worse?

Aizoon

24 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

This is in response to thread http://www.otib.co.uk/index.php?/topic/160285-drunk-fans/ about stewards pulling a man with a metal plate in his ankle out of the queue and making him walk up and down to prove he was sober.

A few random examples of repression that didn't exist 20 years ago.

If a Jobsworth in a high-vis jacket picks on you at random, you do what he says and don't talk back, or he'll be on the walkie-talkie to the police. You'll end up with a life ban and/or a criminal record.

Under-25's have to carry ID if they fancy a drink.

Punters have to stand in the rain if they fancy a smoke.

Cannabis has been promoted to Class B drug, despite it being the relaxant of choice for thousands.

If you're talking about a man on TV or radio, you have to call him 'a person'. Oddly, it's still OK to talk about 'a woman'. Old texts are actually 'improved' when quoted in the media.

There's a steady increase in the number of miserable old bu99ers like myself.

This is in response to thread http://www.otib.co.uk/index.php?/topic/160285-drunk-fans/ about stewards pulling a man with a metal plate in his ankle out of the queue and making him walk up and down to prove he was sober.

A few random examples of repression that didn't exist 20 years ago.

If a Jobsworth in a high-vis jacket picks on you at random, you do what he says and don't talk back, or he'll be on the walkie-talkie to the police. You'll end up with a life ban and/or a criminal record.

Under-25's have to carry ID if they fancy a drink.

Punters have to stand in the rain if they fancy a smoke.

Cannabis has been promoted to Class B drug, despite it being the relaxant of choice for thousands.

If you're talking about a man on TV or radio, you have to call him 'a person'. Oddly, it's still OK to talk about 'a woman'. Old texts are actually 'improved' when quoted in the media.

There's a steady increase in the number of miserable old bu99ers like myself.

How you can moan about under-25's needing ID, a people not being allowed to smoke inside, I'll never know!!

How you can moan about under-25's needing ID, a people not being allowed to smoke inside, I'll never know!!

Because that's how the Government gets people used to having to carry ID. One a generation has got used to compulsory ID, it'll be easy to impose it on everyone.

Because that's how the Government gets people used to having to carry ID. One a generation has got used to compulsory ID, it'll be easy to impose it on everyone.

It's only compulsory to stop under age kids drinking!

Alcohol is addictive and very dangerous in the wrong hands, so how is it a bad thing by stopping younger people illegally abusing it?

Second hand smoke is harmful and cannabis is very dangerous for those susceptible to mental health issues (and you may never know unless you have a puff) so I fail to see how you can argue against the actions against these!

So is alcohol, but you don't ban that. Prohibition is a failed policy. Education/controlled sale is more sensible IMO.

So is alcohol, but you don't ban that. Prohibition is a failed policy. Education/controlled sale is more sensible IMO.

I couldn't give two shits if they did make alcohol a class B drug, that isn't in the OP's post.

The smoke thing is forced onto others against their will so glad they have to go outside.

I couldn't give two shits if they did make alcohol a class B drug, that isn't in the OP's post.

The smoke thing is forced onto others against their will so glad they have to go outside.

I wasn't on about smoking on public, I was talking about drugs policy.

Glad smokers have to go outside. Up to them if they want to stink but I like having the choice of staying inside if I don't want to smell like an ashtray or going outside with them if I do.

Wasn't aware that I need to refer to a man on TV or radio as a person.

Some changes are for the better in my opinion, others not so.

When I see old programmes and the way men were allowed to speak to women etc I find it totally cringeworthy.

If more repressive means catching more paedophiles that's a good thing imo.

Overall, things are much the same imo.

Glad smokers have to go outside. Up to them if they want to stink but I like having the choice of staying inside if I don't want to smell like an ashtray or going outside with them if I do.

Wasn't aware that I need to refer to a man on TV or radio as a person.

Some changes are for the better in my opinion, others not so.

When I see old programmes and the way men were allowed to speak to women etc I find it totally cringeworthy.

If more repressive means catching more paedophiles that's a good thing imo.

Overall, things are much the same imo.

Watch the BBC a little more closely - you'll find quotes from pre-PC days edited to exclude the M word. Curiously, the W-word seems to be OK...

Bugger....had typed out a response but phone lost it.

short version, the state is more intrusive and state interference and taxation will only increase. "Fatty food" will be the next target.

smoking ban did unrecoverable harm to the pub industry but has made them and bars/clubs nicer environments. Price worth paying?

Under 25 scheme has undoubtedly led to a fall in anti social behaviour.

Archived