IGNORED

Are Things Getting Worse?

Aizoon

24 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Yes but people who are 18, especially girls, can put on some make up and look 23/24.

Therefore if you LOOK (not are), under 25, then you will be I.D'd to make sure you are over 18.

Don't get this at all !  eg. why 25 and is there a special form of ID ?

This can only really be answered by older people.

If you are in your early 20's you wont know any different and it will look like another rant by older people about how shit the world has become since you were a lad.

I'm 40 and a lot of things that I knew just 20 years ago have changed for the worse, recent things like a rise in pensionable age half way through a supposed working life really pisses me off.

Unfortunately the 1% who do control the way the world works has you and me arguing and battling over who is a drain on society, while they take all the best bits for themselves.

I'm 40 and a lot of things that I knew just 20 years ago have changed for the worse, recent things like a rise in pensionable age half way through a supposed working life really pisses me off.

My work colleague is retiring this October at age 65. At age 48 I can't now retire until I'm 67 for state pension. Yes, things are getting worse in the world of work. The young generation of indigenous Englishmen and women now have to compete with Eastern European Unionists in the job market and also compete for the limited amount of social housing that is available where newly arrived immigrants get priority. In the meantime, the traitor Lib-Lab-Con political elitists are able to milk the EU for all it's worth.

Don't get this at all !  eg. why 25 and is there a special form of ID ?

To catch anybody who might look older than there real age and, yes, there is a special form of ID, although they'll accept passports or driving licences.

If anybody had told me, when I was that age, the people would have to carry a passport to get served in this country, I'd have told them to pull the other one. It's true now though :(

Bugger....had typed out a response but phone lost it.

short version, the state is more intrusive and state interference and taxation will only increase. "Fatty food" will be the next target.

smoking ban did unrecoverable harm to the pub industry but has made them and bars/clubs nicer environments. Price worth paying?

Under 25 scheme has undoubtedly led to a fall in anti social behaviour.

No it hasn't. Kids get their older mates to buy supermarket booze and they swig it on street corners.

This can only really be answered by older people.

If you are in your early 20's you wont know any different and it will look like another rant by older people about how shit the world has become since you were a lad.

Unfortunately the 1% who do control the way the world works has you and me arguing and battling over who is a drain on society, while they take all the best bits for themselves.

I'm more later than early 20's but I don't think age really matters with regards to the smoking thing.

I'm more later than early 20's but I don't think age really matters with regards to the smoking thing.

It was aimed more at the title of the thread. It's bound to be aimed more at older people than yourself for example. The smoking thing, well having been in pubs which had smokers inside and being a non smoker, I can honestly say I never really noticed the smoke. But, waking up next day you could find the previous nights clothes by smell alone.

There is no such thing as second hand alcohol is there.....

I used to see plenty of second-hand alcohol pebble dashed around the bus shelters of Bristol Uni of an evening. Typically accompanied by a kebab.

Edit: After reading the whole thread it seems I'm rather late to the party with the above comment. ;-)

It was aimed more at the title of the thread. It's bound to be aimed more at older people than yourself for example. The smoking thing, well having been in pubs which had smokers inside and being a non smoker, I can honestly say I never really noticed the smoke. But, waking up next day you could find the previous nights clothes by smell alone.

I remember the smoking in pub days and tbh you get used to the general stale smell of it as part of the decor but its the smoke right in your face when the person next to you sparks up that used to piss me off.

This is in response to thread http://www.otib.co.uk/index.php?/topic/160285-drunk-fans/ about stewards pulling a man with a metal plate in his ankle out of the queue and making him walk up and down to prove he was sober.

A few random examples of repression that didn't exist 20 years ago.

If a Jobsworth in a high-vis jacket picks on you at random, you do what he says and don't talk back, or he'll be on the walkie-talkie to the police. You'll end up with a life ban and/or a criminal record.

Under-25's have to carry ID if they fancy a drink.

Punters have to stand in the rain if they fancy a smoke.

Cannabis has been promoted to Class B drug, despite it being the relaxant of choice for thousands.

If you're talking about a man on TV or radio, you have to call him 'a person'. Oddly, it's still OK to talk about 'a woman'. Old texts are actually 'improved' when quoted in the media.

There's a steady increase in the number of miserable old bu99ers like myself.

With specific regard to AG it's become way more repressive this season. Week after week I watch people being patted down whilst entering the EE. Searches of bags used to be the norm but younger people are routinely patted down on both the EE and Dolman enter entrances. Personally I don't understand flag waving but it seems that this year it has become a problem of note. The biggest issue for me is that originally posted by Phantom and referred to here by Aizoon. It appears that people are being randomly selected and asked to walk in a straight line to prove they are not drunk. It's demeaning and really pushing the boundaries.

Don't get this at all ! eg. why 25 and is there a special form of ID ?

It's just a higher number than 18 really, Used to be 21 but the people who try to catch supermarkets out or make sure they don't sell to underage customers found that a 16 year old can change their appearance to look over 21

As the person selling you have to guess how old they look, If they look under 25 you ask them for ID (usual ID is fine)

If a supermarket sells to a minor they get a hefty fine and can lose their licence to sell alcohol and cigarettes, So the look 25 is just a safety blanket for businesses

Bugger....had typed out a response but phone lost it.

short version, the state is more intrusive and state interference and taxation will only increase. "Fatty food" will be the next target.

smoking ban did unrecoverable harm to the pub industry but has made them and bars/clubs nicer environments. Price worth paying?

Under 25 scheme has undoubtedly led to a fall in anti social behaviour.

It's not about being "nice" it's about health.

Why should I inhale smoke and damage my lungs because of someone else?

Fair enough drinking, but that's a choice, I had no choice when people could smoke right next to me in pubs.

It's not about being "nice" it's about health.

Why should I inhale smoke and damage my lungs because of someone else?

Fair enough drinking, but that's a choice, I had no choice when people could smoke right next to me in pubs.

It was your choice to go in those places. There clearly wasn't a market for non smoking venues as there was only one that I knew of.

It was your choice to go in those places. There clearly wasn't a market for non smoking venues as there was only one that I knew of.

Remember all those anti-smokers who were going to come back to the pubs when smoking was banned? Did they come back? I haven't seen them :(

cannabis should be made legal, its less harmful than alcohol

You shouldn't present an opinion like it is fact, unless you have done substantial research into the area.

In my opinion from anecdotal evidence, it can be very dangerous when used by the wrong people. Not to mention every 'stoner' I grew up with is now a braindead ****tard wasting their life on the dole watching Jeremy Kyle.

You shouldn't present an opinion like it is fact, unless you have done substantial research into the area.

In my opinion from anecdotal evidence, it can be very dangerous when used by the wrong people. Not to mention every 'stoner' I grew up with is now a braindead ****tard wasting their life on the dole watching Jeremy Kyle.

Indeed. As are probably all the alkies you grew up with. I know moderate users of either drug who have done very nicely thank you - including myself.

You say don't present anecdote as fact, then you present an anecdote.

The guy who was the most notorious "stoner" in my college is now chief operations manager of the UK branch of a huge American technology corporation.. His best mate - also known to inhale frequently - is a professor and considered the leading expert in his particular field of medicine, so I don't think you can generalise.

I've no doubt it can harm some folks - there's a cancer risk apart from anything, but so does alcohol, yet that's legal.

As my earlier post said, a prohibition policy isn't working and the only people who benefit from such an approach are major league criminals.

At least I don't drink or smoke them ;)

PS And at least I've done well enough to retire with my hedgehogs while others still labour in the COBOL mines.

I didn't sleep well and was up at 5.30am this morning for my first day back since 19th Dec. Please refrain from rubbing your retirement in!

Archived