IGNORED

How Rich Is Steve Lansdown?

CiderJar

Excellent post. Good to see this perspective.

Without getting into a debate about SL's tenure and association with the club I would like to see the UK move to the German model where fans own the major stake in their clubs.

Good vote winner so I can't why one of the political parties don't take it up.

Exceedingly.

Judging by HL shares performance about 2x wealthier than last year. The millions he's put in would be a smallish percentage of the increase in value of his shares from 12 months trading. That said, he sold a load to invest in the stadium and there's been a massive opportunity lost on profit on those equal to hundreds of millions I suspect.

Amazing that SL gets anything other than a massive vote of thanks from supporters of this Club for what he is doing. Much prefer he goes to a tax haven and invests in Bristol Sport which has social and economic benefits for the city than funds MPs lifestyles and other wasters who contribute bugger all to society. Bravo SL.

A city fan was saying to me last week the "40 million in losses city made is equivalent to you or I losing 4k in our business". What would you do if your business had made the 4k loss? Chuck some more money at it.

Over simplistic.

When you have hundreds of millions of pounds it's all play money. None of it risks your home, children's educations, your car or ability to pay your mortgage.

Exceedingly.

Judging by HL shares performance about 2x wealthier than last year. The millions he's put in would be a smallish percentage of the increase in value of his shares from 12 months trading. That said, he sold a load to invest in the stadium and there's been a massive opportunity lost on profit on those equal to hundreds of millions I suspect.

Amazing that SL gets anything other than a massive vote of thanks from supporters of this Club for what he is doing. Much prefer he goes to a tax haven and invests in Bristol Sport which has social and economic benefits for the city than funds MPs lifestyles and other wasters who contribute bugger all to society. Bravo SL.

SL sold a huge chunk of his shares near the bottom at just over 2 quid.

Excellent post. Good to see this perspective.

Without getting into a debate about SL's tenure and association with the club I would like to see the UK move to the German model where fans own the major stake in their clubs.

Good vote winner so I can't why one of the political parties don't take it up.

I'd also like to see a model whereby the fans pick the team and buy the players via a voting system. This could all be done online. I don't play computer games but I guess it's similar to a manager game except it would be a voting system over thousands or tens of thousands of fans.

SL sold a huge chunk of his shares near the bottom at just over 2 quid.

I expect all of the shares he sold off he's invested wisely though, given the nature of his business expertise.

His super wealth and obvious business know how make our predicament all the more remarkable.

We are owned by a very rich man yet since his involvement dog walkers have run rings around our stadium plans

and we now proudly sit in the relegation zone of league 1.

All other rich owners seem to have come in and transformed the club's fortunes whilst we have  have not even stood still we appear to have gone backwards.

This is no criticism of SL just an observation and I for one think we are extremely lucky to have him as owner. if I had all that money I can think of other places on the planet I would rather be than Bradford away in January- so hats off to SL

Can we not just say on this occasion he has done a good thing and should be commended? Im all for a bit of balance and critical analysis, but just because the initial reaction was overwhelmingly positive, it doesn't mean that there then MUST be a counter-reaction about how it's not really that big a deal, or he has his own reasons for doing so or he's really rich so he should. (Spending other people's money!) 

It was just a sensible move and a generous one. He's a self-made man so I think he realises that 35m quid is still a fair whack of money. And writing off 3.5% of your total wealth is not completely insignificant in anyone's book. 

Nearly all football clubs lose money so it's not completely fair to say "it's Lansdown's debt". And even if it is his bill then surely he has just paid it! Ive seen over the years on these boards the flack he has taken for NOT investing or "going all in". And now he is trying to make the club self-sufficient, as he wont be around forever, he continues to take flack for "cheap options" and "short cuts". Yet at the same time he takes flack for getting us in to debt. Seems to me that it's really difficult to win when you're a football club owner.

For me, we are incredibly lucky to not have to worry about Administration or changes to our name and kit; to have an owner investing in youth and new facilities to generate future income; and one that doesn't tell the manager who to pick in the team. That combination is becoming increasingly rare in football. 

So again, everything he does must be open to objective, fair critique and I honestly think that is a good thing. But that doesnt mean everything he does needs to be criticised. 

Writing off well over half our total debt is just a really good thing for this football club. 

Just glad he,s here at City. Trust the man, and only wants to see success.

Cant be bad

Agreed Arn, people say he's made mistakes,of course has,we all do.

But to me he has always come across as a good honest bloke.who only wants the best for BCFC.

He's paying for either a brand new ground or a nearly new AG,no one else is going to!

Archived