IGNORED

Leeds 0 Bristol City 1 Fa Cup 5Th Round 1974

cider head

I was there. The players were on the same train coming back from Leeds and they were even more pissed than we were!

Great performance, great result, great day out.

For those who see Leeds where they are today, in 1974 they were one of the top sides in Europe, and were cheated of the European Cup by a bent French ref :grr:

I was there. The players were on the same train coming back from Leeds and they were even more pissed than we were!

Great performance, great result, great day out.

For those who see Leeds where they are today, in 1974 they were one of the top sides in Europe, and were cheated of the European Cup by a bent French ref :grr:

They were the Man Ure (when they were good) of their day .

I was there.

Still for me probably the proudest day as a City fan, apart from promotion to the top flight.

Remember hanging my massive Union Jack out the front of the house, on getting home from school. Leeds Utd we're like Barcelona back then.

I remember Donnie Gillies face when it went in, I think he was the most shocked man in the stadium!

That was the springboard to give us lift off.

Still makes me proud even today.

Happy days.

It's a shame that whenever the BBC roll out the FA Cup upsets the talk is about Ronnie Radford, Wrexham & Arsenal, Woking etc and this game never gets a mention but this is right up there with the best. As others have said, Leeds were the top side in the country at the time. I think I'm right in saying that it made the front page of The Times no less with a picture!

I was there.

Loads on the train and we were all put into the curved corner of the ground

On walking up into the stadium we were greeted by a huge end of Leeds fans who to say the least were baying for our blood.

Scary wasnt the word and when we scored they were trying to come over the seperation fence between us both.

It was even worse walking back to the station and i have never been so happy to board a train and get out the place.

Fab day though

It's a shame that whenever the BBC roll out the FA Cup upsets the talk is about Ronnie Radford, Wrexham & Arsenal, Woking etc and this game never gets a mention but this is right up there with the best. As others have said, Leeds were the top side in the country at the time. I think I'm right in saying that it made the front page of The Times no less with a picture!

It was the first ever football picture on the front page of the Times.

I was there.

On walking up into the stadium we were greeted by a huge end of Leeds fans who to say the least were baying for our blood.

Scary wasnt the word and when we scored they were trying to come over the seperation fence between us both.

It was even worse walking back to the station and i have never been so happy to board a train and get out the place.

Fab day though

I was hit on the knee by a metal casting on the way back to the station. I hardly felt it :D

To put things in perspective, Leeds were the outstanding team in the country by a mile, and when City played them were unbeaten at the top of the top division after 29 games.

I was there as a 15 year old - it must have been half term because I went up to Liverpool the night before to stay overnight with my brother and went by train from there. We ended up in a side enclosure at Elland Road and kept quiet throughout the match - the Leeds fans all around us were as partisan and hostile as you could get.

The 1-1 draw at home had been memorable, the win at Leeds simply unbelievable - it was a genuine shock for the whole country and made the front page of the papers.

The most incredible game I've ever seen in my time supporting City - that includes Arsenal, Coventry, and everything since.

As it was all over by about 4 o'clock I was back in Bristol well in time to watch the highlights on T.V. in the evening. Still couldn't believe what I was seeing, it was a truly incredible performance and result, and what's more the team - we had real heroes in those days - thoroughly deserved victory.

I was there too -- what is amazing was that we played them home and away and even in the home game we were very close to winning. Thought for the return lightning would not strike twice.

By far the best individual result in watching City over 55 years. As above -- front pages of national newspapers -- and quality ones at that -- and also on Radio 4 news headlines all the way home -- what a great return journey that was!!!

I too think it must have been half-term, because I was staying with my Aunt and Uncle, so ended up going to the game with their family. I remember after the match, outside the ground, two Leeds fans each grabbed an end of my cousin's City scarf and pulled it tight - I think that it was normally OK for kids to wear their colours back then? We caught one of the special buses back to the station, and then ran the gauntlet of police dogs, who were straining at the leash to get involved - probably less aggressive than the Leeds fans though!

That was my first experience of a "football special", and my other memory is of police waiting on the platform at Temple Meads to arrest people as they got off the train.

Although not my team, I agree that the result should be up there with the usual frequently recalled FA Cup shocks.

One of the longest games of football I can remember, or that's how it seemed after we'd scored.

It just went on.... and on.... and on.... and on....and on.....

It felt as if we never got out of our 18 yard box.... there were last ditch tackles....... bodies going down..... a hoofed clearance only for the ball to come straight back in.

I was totally exhausted at the final whistle.

My legs were like jelly...... my wife burst into tears.

But the best feeling I can ever remember at a City game!!!

One of the longest games of football I can remember, or that's how it seemed after we'd scored.

It just went on.... and on.... and on.... and on....and on.....

It felt as if we never got out of our 18 yard box.... there were last ditch tackles....... bodies going down..... a hoofed clearance only for the ball to come straight back in.

I was totally exhausted at the final whistle.

My legs were like jelly...... my wife burst into tears.

But the best feeling I can ever remember at a City game!!!

AND Lorimer rattling the bar from distance !

I was there.

Fab day though

6 or 7 specials weren't it ?

1510024_204207173102858_281154175_n.jpg

1545086_204207209769521_1689663867_n.jpg

1538756_204207159769526_1305691564_n.jpg

I'm not sure if many are aware of this but John Sillett - as shown above - was once a Chelsea player. Could it be that John Sillett was especially delighted for City to beat Leeds in the replay just as Chelsea beat Leeds in the 1970 FA Cup final replay ?????!!!!!!

I was there.

Fab day though

It was very hostile indeed. My brother and I had seats to the right of the Leeds end but very close to them. When entering the ground with our scaves on the whole

end erupted and gave us dogs abuse. We had the last laugh though. Good old Donnie.

It was very hostile indeed. My brother and I had seats to the right of the Leeds end but very close to them. When entering the ground with our scaves on the whole

end erupted and gave us dogs abuse. We had the last laugh though. Good old Donnie.

Yeah i had a seat right at the back of that stand, singing "when the red red robin" after the final whistle there were loads of leeds fans waiting for us to come out. i was lucky my mate jimmer who also followed leeds as his second team and bought a scarf and other souvenirs. He stuck his leeds scarf around his neck and i tucked my City colours under my coat and walked straight through them back to the train. But great memories.

Yeah i had a seat right at the back of that stand, singing "when the red red robin" after the final whistle there were loads of leeds fans waiting for us to come out. i was lucky my mate jimmer who also followed leeds as his second team and bought a scarf and other souvenirs. He stuck his leeds scarf around his neck and i tucked my City colours under my coat and walked straight through them back to the train. But great memories.

Sure was a game dodge the angry Leeds fan getting out. I remember going into the supporters club prior to the game and having a beer or two with the biggest frothy head

I have ever seen in my life. Northern Folk, bless um.

Sure was a game dodge the angry Leeds fan getting out. I remember going into the supporters club prior to the game and having a beer or two with the biggest frothy head

I have ever seen in my life. Northern Folk, bless um.

Bigger than Geoff Merrick's?

Archived