IGNORED

Leeds 0 Bristol City 1 Fa Cup 5Th Round 1974

cider head

List of Leeds league results that season puts into perspective what a win this was !!

25.08.1973 Everton home                                        W3-1

28.08.1973 Arsenal away                                         W2-1

01.09.1973 Tottenham Hotspur away                      W3-0

05.09.1973 Wolverhampton Wndrs home                W4-1

08.09.1973 Birmingham City home                          W3-0

1.09.1973 Wolverhampton Wndrs away                   W2-0

15.09.1973 Southampton away                                W2-1

22.09.1973 Manchester United home                      D0-0

29.09.1973 Norwich City away                                W1-0

06.10.1973 Stoke City home                                    D1-1

13.10.1973 Leicester City away                               D2-2

20.10.1973 Liverpool home                                      W1-0

27.10.1973 Manchester City away                           W1-0

03.11.1973 West Ham United home                        W4-1

10.11.1973 Burnley away                                         D0-0

17.11.1973 Coventry City home                               W3-0

24.11.1973 Derby County away                               D0-0

01.12.1973 Queens Park Rangers home                 D2-2

08.12.1973 Ipswich Town away                               W3-0

15.12.1973 Chelsea away                                        W2-1

22.12.1973 Norwich City home                                W1-0

26.12.1973 Newcastle United away                         W1-0

29.12.1973 Birmingham City away                           D1-1

01.01.1974 Tottenham Hotspur home                      D1-1

12.01.1974 Southampton home                               W2-1

19.01.1974 Everton away                                         D0-0

02.02.1974 Chelsea home                                        D1-1

05.02.1974 Arsenal home                                        W3-1

09.02.1974 Manchester United away                       W2-0

19.02.1974 r5r Bristol City home            L0-1

Leeds went on to win the league loosing just 4 games that season

My memory of this is slightly different, I couldn't make the Leeds replay but on the following saturday City were due to play West Brom at the Hawthorns and my mates and I and my dad set off for that game, only to find out it had been postponed, being already on the M5 north we had enough time to change our plans and ended up taking in Stoke v Leeds at the old Victoria ground and boy what a game that was, Leeds still unbeaten in the league went 2 up only for a barnstorming Stoke come back for a 3-2 win and i'm sure Denis Smith scored one possibly even the winner.

in fact here's the winner

My favourite cup game isn't the Leeds one or the Liverpool one,it's the sags at the gasworks,1-0 down 2-1 up we knocked Rovers out the cup.As a club we had been on our arse, and the sags had been revelling in our misfortune,that result well and truly shut them up.

My memory of this is slightly different, I couldn't make the Leeds replay but on the following saturday City were due to play West Brom at the Hawthorns and my mates and I and my dad set off for that game, only to find out it had been postponed, being already on the M5 north we had enough time to change our plans and ended up taking in Stoke v Leeds at the old Victoria ground and boy what a game that was, Leeds still unbeaten in the league went 2 up only for a barnstorming Stoke come back for a 3-2 win and i'm sure Denis Smith scored one possibly even the winner.

in fact here's the winner

Yep that was the game following Citys win.

Full fixtures on this cracking site:

http://www.statto.com/football/teams/leeds-united/1973-1974/results

I was at white hart lane for that one, had my scarf nicked in the ground at knife point, being a schoolboy i couldnt hand it over quick enough !

....on reflection if it happened now i would hand it over smartish, also remember all the spurs fans asking for our tokens ( handed out at the turnstiles for cup final ticket preference ) 

I already had my cup final ticket, purchased through an application form in the league review, that used to be in the matchday programme

so i was going to wembley whatever the outcome......Biggest mistake was me and my mate buying villa scarfs and rosettes on wembley way prior to kick off,

then going in the ground really early to get behind the goal, then realising we were in the spurs end  :facepalm:

Sounds as though you liked to live dangerously back in the day! :laughcont:  I sometimes wonder how we survived the naivety of our youth!

Never wore a scarf after going to WHU for a third round FA cup game in '69 ,where I got gobbed at, nice !

My Dad told me about going to West Ham back in the day he ended up in the home end after a steward pointed him in the wrong direction sounded naughty. City nearly scored and he went up to cheer forgeting where he was. Once the locals knew he was from Bristol the rest of the game he was getting pushed, kicked, punched and a load of abuse.

I spent a whole game at the wrong end of the Old Den by mistake (I was living in London at the time). I got talking to a couple of well hard dockers before the game and they warned the yobs off.

Bloody lucky, because we won 2-0 and Clive Whitehead scored both on what I believe was his debut.

I spent a whole game at the wrong end of the Old Den by mistake (I was living in London at the time). I got talking to a couple of well hard dockers before the game and they warned the yobs off.

Bloody lucky, because we won 2-0 and Clive Whitehead scored both on what I believe was his debut.

You're correct Whitehead did score, he got the second, Gould got the first.

Archived