IGNORED

Leeds 0 Bristol City 1 Fa Cup 5Th Round 1974

cider head

Best live City game i ever saw got in the Leeds kop end just before the gates were closed with my brother both dodged school to go with a mates dad  remember Elland Road seemed to be in a wasteland never been that far north .

Was going mental inside when Donnie scored at that end of the ground after the match we both jumped around like idiots  a few Leeds fans got narked but others said leave them alone their only kids...

Was at Highbury for the 1-0 win, Coventry City(A) 2-2,Liverpool 1-0 that cup game is still my favourite . 

I was at the match where we drew with Leeds forcing them to that replay.  Keith Fear scored in the home game.  I listened to the replay at Leeds on the radio and couldn't believe it when Don Gillies scored (He was Don when he came to City and why they called him Donnie, I was never sure (though Donny Osmond was the big girlie pop star at the time).  I  even taped the radio commentary but don't know what happened to that tape.

I believe we lost in the next round at Liverpool.

the crowd at AG was 37,000 or 38,000 I believe - one of the biggest crowds I have ever been in at the gate.

Another big game from that era was the League Cup semi final first leg against Tottenham - crowd of about the same size - Just one game away from a real Wembley final and was the first time I ever saw a top flight team at the gate.

IAN

I was at the match where we drew with Leeds forcing them to that replay.  Keith Fear scored in the home game.  I listened to the replay at Leeds on the radio and couldn't believe it when Don Gillies scored (He was Don when he came to City and why they called him Donnie, I was never sure (though Donny Osmond was the big girlie pop star at the time).  I  even taped the radio commentary but don't know what happened to that tape.

the crowd at AG was 37,000 or 38,000 I believe - one of the biggest crowds I have ever been in at the gate.

Another big game from that era was the League Cup semi final first leg against Tottenham - crowd of about the same size - Just one game away from a real Wembley final and was the first time I ever saw a top flight team at the gate.

IAN

I think the Spurs game was just over 30k and the closest we've been to a proper cup final, well until Forrest in '89!

IAN

That if my memory is right at the Gate and Toshack got a lucky winner, but no doubt i will be corrected if wrong  :laugh:. I was at the Tottenham replay and we lost 2nil in extra time, 

A thread for the diehard long standing City fan over 50's this and as someone that qualifies just and was there, have to say, don't think there will ever be another like it, and I've been to all the big ones since and too many of the not so good too.

Leeds in the day were bigger than Man U, Liverpool and Arsenal combined, they were unbeaten ALL season, in the days that was unheard of, in fact I think they had won every league game bar one draw. An often overlooked fact is that in the same season Bristol Rovers had a very similar record in their division - below ours of course.

The Leeds team was a team of internationals in the days when internationals were proper players - English, Scottish and Welsh. They came to Ashton Gate and 37,000+ had a party and when Keith Fear got that equaliser wow mental.

So then thousands of City got to Elland Road any way they could. Think about it, a 2pm Tuesday afternoon kick off, because miners strike and a three day week meant floodlights and electricity couldn't be relied upon, and yet 49,000 in the ground.

I remember, we nearly didn't get in, went all round the ground looking for a turnstile that wasn't closed, finally ended up in the gods looked out at that stadium with literally dozens on the roof of the stand. And then Donnie got that goal didn't realise it then but it was the best ever moment even better than Donnies at Coventry and Tins at Liverpool.

Happy days and those players back then played their hearts out for Bristol City. Look at that team and how many of them - most - are either from Bristol or settled here after they finished.

That if my memory is right at the Gate and Toshack got a lucky winner, but no doubt i will be corrected if wrong   :laugh:. I was at the Tottenham replay and we lost 2nil in extra time, 

yep, Toshack got the winner in a 0-1 defeat at home to a star-studded Liverpool in the 6th round (37,671). Liverpool went on to win the FA Cup that year (3-0 v Newcastle).

One thing of note in the team line up in Feb 1974 is that, except for Ernie Hunt who was coming to the end of his career, they all played major parts in the promotion season team/ squad of 75/76 and all played in Division One in the next season - many played throughout the best part of our 4 years in Div 1.  If my memory serves me well, we had just bought Paul Cheesely (who did not particularly impress until 75/76).  Shows in retrospect how Alan Dicks was assembling a successful team.

I remember it well-  we were stunned and sick in Oldbury Court. Leeds really were THE team of that time, and I was totally pissed off about it.

What is a bit odd is that I recognise and would be able to name all the City players in the pics, and would be able to do so with the Leeds side as well (With the exception of the centre half- where was Jack Charlton?), I'm pretty sure I could identify 90 odd % of any Rovers or City player(or Leeds for that matter) from that era, but if you showed me a Rovers or City pic from a year ago I would be struggling!

Just watched the highlights of the Liverpool game again, hard to believe we were 2nd division then, against the best in Europe and more than holding our own.

Some of those tackles would be sending off's today, like Dave Rodgers on Toshack.

I was behind the East End goal that afternoon when Toshack broke our hearts.

Other major differences to today, no diving and feigning injury, the keepers not wearing gloves, and the brilliant atmosphere.

Memories.

List of Leeds league results that season puts into perspective what a win this was !!

25.08.1973 Everton home                                        W3-1

28.08.1973 Arsenal away                                         W2-1

01.09.1973 Tottenham Hotspur away                      W3-0

05.09.1973 Wolverhampton Wndrs home                W4-1

08.09.1973 Birmingham City home                          W3-0

1.09.1973 Wolverhampton Wndrs away                   W2-0

15.09.1973 Southampton away                                W2-1

22.09.1973 Manchester United home                      D0-0

29.09.1973 Norwich City away                                W1-0

06.10.1973 Stoke City home                                    D1-1

13.10.1973 Leicester City away                               D2-2

20.10.1973 Liverpool home                                      W1-0

27.10.1973 Manchester City away                           W1-0

03.11.1973 West Ham United home                        W4-1

10.11.1973 Burnley away                                         D0-0

17.11.1973 Coventry City home                               W3-0

24.11.1973 Derby County away                               D0-0

01.12.1973 Queens Park Rangers home                 D2-2

08.12.1973 Ipswich Town away                               W3-0

15.12.1973 Chelsea away                                        W2-1

22.12.1973 Norwich City home                                W1-0

26.12.1973 Newcastle United away                         W1-0

29.12.1973 Birmingham City away                           D1-1

01.01.1974 Tottenham Hotspur home                      D1-1

12.01.1974 Southampton home                               W2-1

19.01.1974 Everton away                                         D0-0

02.02.1974 Chelsea home                                        D1-1

05.02.1974 Arsenal home                                        W3-1

09.02.1974 Manchester United away                       W2-0

19.02.1974 r5r Bristol City home            L0-1

Leeds went on to win the league loosing just 4 games that season

Spurs away LC SF 2nd Leg...crowd was 29,982 (23/12/70)....The Final was on 27th Feb '71 (Spurs 2-0 Villa)

You're right - for the attendance, I was thinking of the FA Cup 5th round game 11 March 1967. We lost 2-0 and that lazy bu99er Greaves got both of them. Slightly overestimated the crowd - it was 54,610.

You're right - for the attendance, I was thinking of the FA Cup 5th round game 11 March 1967. We lost 2-0 and that lazy bu99er Greaves got both of them. Slightly overestimated the crowd - it was 54,610.

Was there for both, circa 12k City fans for the first, doubt if there was 3 for the second, only one special train, I was quite disappointed  I remember.

Was there for both, circa 12k City fans for the first, doubt if there was 3 for the second, only one special train, I was quite disappointed  I remember.

I was at white hart lane for that one, had my scarf nicked in the ground at knife point, being a schoolboy i couldnt hand it over quick enough !

....on reflection if it happened now i would hand it over smartish, also remember all the spurs fans asking for our tokens ( handed out at the turnstiles for cup final ticket preference ) 

I already had my cup final ticket, purchased through an application form in the league review, that used to be in the matchday programme

so i was going to wembley whatever the outcome......Biggest mistake was me and my mate buying villa scarfs and rosettes on wembley way prior to kick off,

then going in the ground really early to get behind the goal, then realising we were in the spurs end  :facepalm:

Archived