IGNORED

Wanting To Give Up Smoking?

Pickle Rick

These are great:

http://www.go-liquid.co.uk/Store/e-cig-devices/standard-ecig-pack.html

A well priced and robust e-cig that's easy to use and top up with other vaping oils.

Even if you're looking to cut down on smoking ciggys, these are the way forward.

Looking around online, many have converted to these as you can alter nicotine, or have none at all.

Has anyone got into this, if so what's your opinion? I know plenty of people who are now on these and haven't looked back.

I know WILL POWER is essential to quit smoking, but this is an alternative.

I tried the E Cigarettes when I gave up a few years ago and they are undoubtably the best substitute for real cigarettes. I know plenty of people who use them and they wouldn't go back to normal cigarettes. At first they seem a bit lightweight but you get used to them (as you would if you switched to a 'light' cig). I suppose they are ideal if you don't want to give up nicotine but do want to give up smoking. Not yet approved by the health service though.

The best way I found to give up was the tablet 'Champix' which your doctor can prescribe. It's still difficult but the NHS really help you to give up if you want. One of my wife's aunties died of emphysema and that's not a pleasant or quick way to go, for me personally that's when I decided I didn't want to smoke anymore.

These are great:

http://www.go-liquid.co.uk/Store/e-cig-devices/standard-ecig-pack.html

A well priced and robust e-cig that's easy to use and top up with other vaping oils.

Even if you're looking to cut down on smoking ciggys, these are the way forward.

Looking around online, many have converted to these as you can alter nicotine, or have none at all.

Has anyone got into this, if so what's your opinion? I know plenty of people who are now on these and haven't looked back.

Sorry but these things are bollocks if you aim to give up. They don't break the nicotine addiction and most people usually go back on real fags. If you don't want to give up nicotine then an e-fag is a less unhealthy alternative to a real fag. They are a marketing con as indicated by your thread title and the content of your post. My brother has worked for a charity for about 10 years that help people to give up smoking. He knows nobody that gave up via e-fags and says that as a cessation aid they are pointless.

Personally, I went cold turkey. I set a date and stopped dead. It worked and I've stopped years ago. I was aware and I'm still aware that I can't even have a single puff without needing more.

Good luck with it but I don't think e-fags are the way. The people I know that smoke e-fags are kidding themselves that they are giving up and have been puffing on e-fags for 2-3 years now.

Even tobacco companies are jumping on the e-fag bandwagon. They're not doing that for fun.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/tobacco-companies-bet-on-electronic-cigarettes/

Sorry but these things are bollocks if you aim to give up. They don't break the nicotine addiction and most people usually go back on real fags. If you don't want to give up nicotine then an e-fag is a less unhealthy alternative to a real fag. They are a marketing con. My brother has worked for a charity for about 10 years that help people to give up smoking. He knows nobody that gave up via e-fags and says that as a cessation aid they are pointless.

Personally, I went cold turkey. I set a date and stopped dead. It worked and I've stopped years ago. I was aware and I'm still aware that I can't even have a single puff without needing more.

Good luck with it but I don't think e-fags are the way. The people I know that smoke e-fags are kidding themselves that they are giving up and have been puffing on e-fags for 2-3 years now.

That's an opinion well expressed.

I think it's a 'each to their own' scenario with these e-cigs. Elimination of tar is a big factor for people. Plus other bad things, such as fag breath and the smell staining clothes/homes/vehicles etc. These can also work out as a cheaper long term option.

Plus you can go nicotine free if you choose to try these and/or use it as a step to quit.

Some don't have the will power to give up one day and never look back. My mother, like you, managed to just give up - which is obviously the best route.

Have to agree with Rich.The cold turkey approach worked for me.With e-cigs it is still another habit to break.A lot of it is in the mind and with e-cigs you are still constantly reminding yourself that you want to smoke.Good luck to all those trying to quit.

I was lucky. I had asthma, bronchitis and the flu all at once, and it wasn't a question of what might or might not happen in twenty-five years time (i.e. now ;) ). I wouldn't have lasted the winter.

I used patches and they worked well, once I remembered to take them off at night. They gave me some seriously weird dreams :o

Have you tried the oil based e-cigs? Worth a try if not. Many have found it a better alternative to the tar/nicotine mixture.

I always spend a fortune on patches e-cigs etc and only last a day or two I think three days is the most of gone before and after that I was clucking for a ciggy. I find first thing in the morning when I get up, after eating food and having a cup of tea is when I have to smoke or I can't operate.

I always spend a fortune on patches e-cigs etc and only last a day or two I think three days is the most of gone before and after that I was clucking for a ciggy. I find first thing in the morning when I get up, after eating food and having a cup of tea is when I have to smoke or I can't operate.

Fair enough.

To be fair though, these e-cigs have a liquid top up from a 10ml (or bigger) bottle. You can pick your nicotine content and there are flavours likened to brands like B & H and Golden Virginia.

Batteries are rechargable and last, along with the cartridge you use to top it up with. Some people I know have stuck with the cigarette flavours and find it fools them enough to not have a cigarette instead. At least it's 'cleaner' than a ciggy!

Worth a go bud :)

Fair enough.

To be fair though, these e-cigs have a liquid top up from a 10ml (or bigger) bottle. You can pick your nicotine content and there are flavours likened to brands like B & H and Golden Virginia.

Batteries are rechargable and last, along with the cartridge you use to top it up with. Some people I know have stuck with the cigarette flavours and find it fools them enough to not have a cigarette instead. At least it's 'cleaner' than a ciggy!

Worth a go bud :)

Sound in for a penny in for pound. I'll have to start on the strongest and work my way down.

I tried the E Cigarettes when I gave up a few years ago and they are undoubtably the best substitute for real cigarettes. I know plenty of people who use them and they wouldn't go back to normal cigarettes. At first they seem a bit lightweight but you get used to them (as you would if you switched to a 'light' cig). I suppose they are ideal if you don't want to give up nicotine but do want to give up smoking. Not yet approved by the health service though.

The best way I found to give up was the tablet 'Champix' which your doctor can prescribe. It's still difficult but the NHS really help you to give up if you want. One of my wife's aunties died of emphysema and that's not a pleasant or quick way to go, for me personally that's when I decided I didn't want to smoke anymore.

Champix is a great product for the right person.

It takes away ALL thought of wanting to smoke.

The problem I found were the side effects,really...really weird and bad dreams,plus constant stomach ache.

Champix is a great product for the right person.

It takes away ALL thought of wanting to smoke.

The problem I found were the side effects,really...really weird and bad dreams,plus constant stomach ache.

I was lucky, no side effects at all. My wife had headaches the first time she tried but not the second time. I wouldn't say it completely eliminated the desire to smoke but it was definitely easier than when I tried before with just NRT like chewing gum.

Nicotine addiction withdrawal lasts 2-4 days and plays little part at all in why people fail to give up.

Very much "this".

I'd made various attempts to give up smoking, but then when a relationship break-up in 1991 made me move back to my parents' house, I found myself isolated from my friends, in a house without ashtrays and having to stand outside in the pissing rain every time I wanted a tab.

Upshot was - removed from the social situations that triggered smoking for me - I found it easy-peasy to give up.

About 3 weeks on I went down the pub and that was the real iron will test , but having cracked that I never went back to smoking.

Nibor is correct. You have to think about the social situations that you smoke in, think what makes it easy or natural to do so in those situations, and then cut them out for a few weeks to break the Pavlovian habit. It's isolating, but it works.

The nicotine withdrawal is nothing. As an addictive substance its not much higher than coffee.

In some cases nicotine patches, lozenges and so on don't really help. They give the person the idea that there is an easy way to stop smoking.

Fact is there are no easy ways to get rid of the dreaded weed. Cold Turkey is painful short term but well worth it in the long run.

I finally quite almost 30 years ago after 12 years of smoking having 'tried' loads of times before but I realise now that I didn't really want quit until I REALLY wanted to. It was only then that I managed to stay stopped. For the first few months I put my daily fag money into a jar and it was amazing how much I saved. I can't remember exactly how much it amounted to but it paid a large part of a holiday to Tenerife.

People who stop an then relapse never really wanted to stop in the first place. Weak willed.

More seriously, those who most need to give up may find it most difficult. If you have asthma, the first month or so without a ciggy is a nightmare. The chest seems to seize up solid :(

It's a good three months before it actually feels better.

I read an Allan Carr book just over 9 years ago and this plus will-power kicked a 20 - 30 a day habit. It gets easier as the cost of smoking keeps going up to appreciate my healthier and wealthier lifestyle.

Yep me too. Stopping was a breeze with this book. I must know a dozen or so people who've also used it. All were 20 a day plus and not one has gone back to it. I didn't go on long flights because I couldn't face going without a smoke for that long. 10 years since I stopped. Going from cigarettes to patches is like an alcoholic going from vodka to scotch. Why keep putting the same drug in you're trying to get off of?

Yep me too. Stopping was a breeze with this book. I must know a dozen or so people who've also used it. All were 20 a day plus and not one has gone back to it. I didn't go on long flights because I couldn't face going without a smoke for that long. 10 years since I stopped. Going from cigarettes to patches is like an alcoholic going from vodka to scotch. Why keep putting the same drug in you're trying to get off of?

It's not like going from vodka to scotch. Malt whiskey to vodka might be a better analogy.

It pacifies the nicotine craving while letting one get used to losing all the other bits that make up a tobacco habit. It was years before I stopped gesturing with a non-existent ciggy between my fingers.

Archived