IGNORED

Who Misses Out.. Defence

BristolBEAT

Might revert to a 4-4-2.

Williams - El Abd - Flint - Osbourne/Moloney Defenders

Cunnigham - Pack - Reid - Waggy/Moloney Midfield

At least our left & right flanks can support eachother and switch positions when attacking and tracking back.

Us playing well and having options look hopeful going through this 2nd half of the season.

If Cotterill manages to sign the wide player(s) he's after then he might go to a back 4, in which case 2 would probably miss out.

In any case I can't imagine it was intended for Williams to play as many games as he has done, considering his age.

I would agree he was never meant to have the role he has had this season. However he has developed into an immensely good player considering his age and it would be a real shame for him to drop out of the starting line up.

Before this signing the defence picked itself. Having competition cover is exactly what we need. It'll be harsh on somebody on Saturday but without bringing in El-Abd we would be screwed by any long term injury in defence.

If we're going 3 at the back it's 3 from 4... assuming no injuries/suspensions.

With 4 at the back we only had 2 recognized full backs in the squad. Williams can cover left, Osborne can cover/start right side, leaving El-Abd and Flint in the middle.

For what it's worth I think Williams will miss out this weekend as he's been injured and is the least experienced of our centre halfs.

All thinking it..

Osbourne - No

Flint - Surely Not

Williams - No

These three cannot play every match. I'm sure all 4 will get plenty of football.

Now we have competition for places and we can afford to rest them all from time to time.

I assume Carey and Fonts will both be gone at the end of the season, so the centre backs are already sorted for next season. This will allow SC to focus on other areas of the team.

SC likes a 3-5-2 so Williams will step aside for AEA. No slight on Derrick but he's young and had a good run and will get more game time in due course.

Williams is a far better player than Flint though.

Compare their distribution for example?

Flint to be is just a lower league carthorse who just lumps it forward.

Osbourne and Williams are better players.

SC likes a 3-5-2 so Williams will step aside for AEA. No slight on Derrick but he's young and had a good run and will get more game time in due course.

Does he like it or is the current squad simply best suited to it?

Genuine question as I know little of his style at previous clubs. He's talked about wanting wingers, though, and everything he's said has pointed to him being a straightforward 4-4-2 man if the squad allows it.

I'd like to see Osbourne and E A centrally - if a three, or an ariel threat from the oppos , add in Flint, but Flint, while great in the air has got  (IMHO) poor distribution, banging boomers forward into channels being his speciality. and can look suspect under threat from more nimble players.

We def need a leader at the back - Shaun Taylor / Carey (in his prime) and so hopefulyl the new guy will get in there and make it his own.

i think this might be a good signing - building from the back is where we need to go, and having a more secure defence means the forwards can do more damage, rather than getting drawn back too much.

The one thing we've noticed since his arrival - aside from the massive upturn in quality of football to the rubbish the last guy gave us - is his side goes out to the wing much more often.

Be it Wagstaff or Joe Bryan, it's been really enjoyable to watch.

I think wingers would suit his plans.

God remember a few months ago and the horseshit of launching it to a lone striker and just dour football???

Lose our width there Brett. A big factor in out up turn in form has been due to the fact we create more space with wide men and in turn, create more opportunities. We go narrow again, results will return to how they were under sod. I dont think we will go to 4 a the back as standard but would be a good formation to revert to every now and then

Williams is a far better player than Flint though.

Compare their distribution for example?

Flint to be is just a lower league carthorse who just lumps it forward.

Osbourne and Williams are better players.

Don't disagree, just as a young player I think Flint will get the nod over him.

Williams hasn't been immune from mistakes himself (remember the horror show at Swindon!) he'll still be involved I think but to me the obvious choice to miss out.

Does he like it or is the current squad simply best suited to it?

Genuine question as I know little of his style at previous clubs. He's talked about wanting wingers, though, and everything he's said has pointed to him being a straightforward 4-4-2 man if the squad allows it.

Not sure to be honest but we played our best football in years (IMHO) against Stevenage in this formation and wouldn't be too upset if we continued in this vein.

Yeah he did.

Then again I've seen Rio Ferdinand and Vincent Kompany have shockers too. Everyone has them.

I think we agree though Williams is better technically than Flint!

Williams has been coached at Premier league level and moved down whereas Flint has moved up from non league level so no surprise that Williams is technically the better of the 2.

Considering how well the defence has played together lately I'd be surprised for El-abd to start. Give him a weeks training and let him get some sort of understanding going with the others

I kind of disagree with this. The defence has certainly played better in recent weeks BUT still been guilty of leaking sloppy goals. From what I've heard (so take this with a pinch of salt) he was highly rated at B&HA and most fans were disappointed he was leaving, especially to a bottom half league 1 team so therefore he's instantly better than what we've got.

You don't go out and buy a player like AEA and leave him playing second fiddle to league one misfits like Flint and Karleigh.

Yes you could argue is he really needed? But he improves us and I like the sound of that. A lot.

Archived