IGNORED

Lack Of Goals From Midfield,

mossey

I dont think for one second Pack's job is to protect the back four and cant believe people think thats what he does.

His job is to get the ball from the defence and get play moving, which he can be good at at times. If he was moved forward he would have less space to do this hence he is played in front of the defence. He can pick a pass out but I dont think he does enough, could be due to the lack of options in front of him at times.

I think the protection is supposed to come from gillet higher up the pitch, closing down play, which he done very well Saturday. However its not always going to work.

A lack of goals from midfield is a concern. Think we lost a few in kelly and particular Pearson, who for all his critics last season could have been a decent player in this league.

All this talk about Baldock missing chances, and the weekly Jet theme, but surely we our midfield should be chipping in with a few goals, is it to much to expect them to be scoring 8 ish goals per season, Pack never looks scoring, still not made mind up on him, always looks the part, and should be doing and contributing more than he does, thought that he scored few goals for Cheltenham, especially from free kicks, know people are going to reply but that was 2nd division, but still, how many has he scored in his time here for us?

It would be a concern if our strikers weren't scoring. Their strike rate (combined) is very good.

agreed , think he plays too deep, but free kicks? Also expect few more goals from Flint,for centre half, again expect him to be scoring 6 or so goals from corners.

For him to score 6 we need to have someone who can actually deliver the ball at a decent quality from corners and freekicks

For him to score 6 we need to have someone who can actually deliver the ball at a decent quality from corners and freekicks

Again agree, our corners are terrible, often fail to clear the first man and never look dangerous with that whipped in free kick or corner, now if we had Steven Gerrard!

So we need a decent DMF?  Trouble is, so does half the league, from ManUre down.  People make out like it's an easy role, but it requires discipline, vision and - crucially - excellent ball retention and distribution.  The likes of Makelele and Hargreaves (pre-injury) were the outstanding DMFs in Europe over the last few years, and both had astonishing pass completion rates - 85%+.  Do we know of anyone affordable who could tick all those boxes? 

ok apologies, he scored 4 last season + 4 the season before, not realy worth arguing about is it.

Well you did say he could score 6 in a season as he had scored 8. Messi scored 50 plus two seasons running... does that make him a 100 goal a season striker :)

Didn't think it was an argument. The guy, for his height, is pretty hopeless in the air in front of goal and I he won't be scoring 6 anytime soon.

Quite. The bloke is such a dominant force but such a 50p head I reckon he could easily get to 10 a season if he actually learnt to place headers rather than put his head in the general direction of the ball. Work needed on the training ground.

ok, I was wrong, but I actually think that 4 or 5 goals a season is a reasonable return for a ch who after all is almost totally reliant on decent service ( Bobby reids corners are a total waste of time ) don't forget that flint set up baldocks equaliser on Saturday ! anyway this thread started as a critique of our non scoring midfielders + I feel they should take a lot more criticism than central defenders, goals from defenders should be viewed as bonuses imo.

Archived