IGNORED

Well Done Our Poloticians

Welcome To The Jungle

An age old problem with Bristol politicians is that none of them regardless of their political party have been prepared to stand up to any minority or ethic group. Political correctness gone mad.

A unfathomable fear of criticism regardless of how slight sends them scurrying back to the status quo and that's why nothing happens. They fail to grasp the concept of the common good or majority over the minority.

Maybe the recent highlighting of the councils inertia in the local and national media will promote a change in attitude but I won't be holding out much hope

BCC are not blameless in all of this. They made the error on one of the AV drawings that led to a JR. They've made an error on the Sainsburys application in Horfield leading to a JR and they did their best to screw up the County Ground development too.Can't be coincidence.

Agree, plus of course their "independent" TVG inspector, Ms. Crail...

Dawn supported our bid for Ashton Vale, saying so publically throughout.

However as the local MP, her viewpoint on a Bristol City council decision carries no more weight than mine.

Totally correct. She also brought up the misuse of TVG legislation in the Commons. Something that is leading to it being re-examined with a view to reform or even abolition.

Agree, plus of course their "independent" TVG inspector, Ms. Crail...

There are dark forces at work within BCC. A former Bristol City board member in fact was more than willing to tell me about the "inside job" that was going on at BCC during the AV saga.

And who is one of the lead names on the JR submission for Sainsburys at Horfield - a BCC employee, would you believe it!

Dawn Primarolo has been an excellent constituency MP. I'm not sure why you refer to her as a 'career politician' in such a derogatory fashion. Are you suggesting she's never had another job? If so, you're wrong.

Please, please don't suggest that the present majority party in power in Westminster is the party of the people. Anyone with any knowledge of the inner workings of that party will know with absolute certainty that their interests are focused on a tiny minority of the populace, and we ain't part of it.

Where as Tony Blair was really a man of the people wasn't he?

AV would have been a stadium that was unique, had style, and was in keeping with the Brunel inspired Bristol.

A developed AG, full of design compromises, a hotchpotch of stands , no parking, traffic chaos is perhaps a more fitting tribute to the myopic Bristol City council and the far from transparent Mayor. 

........the parking is a problem around Ashton Gate with just 10,000 odd supporters for the current third tier games. If Bristol Rugby - and dare I say - Bristol City reach the Premiership then the parking will be far worse. At least a purpose built Ashton Vale could have had a few thousand parking spaces to alleviate the parking problems.

Just like to congratulate Dawn Primirolo and all the councillors who have decided not to fight for 90+million to be invested by private business providing jobs that will only boost the local economy, leaving Bristol with a state of the art stadium that will only further boost the local economy. Instead they've rolled over and bravely let the cheaper, less beneficial option for 99.9% of Bristolians to go ahead. Complete shambles that democracy can't even make decisions. At least Charlotte Leslie (who's a Tory for crying out loud) has publicly supported UWE, even went to the mem in a gas kit and spoke about it. 

One more Well Done to everyone who helps keep Bristol in the dark age. Off to Cardiff, apparently they have this thing called an arena, where people use things called instruments to make a noise in a room filled with lots of people. I guess we simple Brizzle folk aren't into that kind of thing. 4 blokes, a drum kit, a banjo, an accordion, a guitar and songs about agriculture suit us right down to the ground.

Just imagine if Brunel had arrived today. They'd say "A bridge, across the avon gorge, what an eyesore, jog on", or maybe "A boat, made of Iron, what's that? (after a conversation that includes an explanation of extracting metals) Oh no!, we don't want propellers either, why don't you try Portsmouth Mr Brunel".

Bristol is like that kid at school who came from a more deprived family, everyone came back after christmas with their new nike trainers, play station 4 and the cash from their Gran; and this poor kid had a new pair of Nkie Trainers, a Playtendocube 360 and some monoploly money they found in the bush by the bins by their next door neighbours house. In other words, whilst cities like cardiff, Reading (which is a bloody town anyway), Manchester and even sodding Darlington get their nice new state of the art stuff, we're left with the knock off stuff from down the market. It would not surprise me at all if the stadium redevelopment plans for AG were sold to SL by a man with a yellow, 3 wheeled van.

I'm going to start a new business, either a dog salon in Ashton Vale or a fertiliser company, sourcing the finest dog turds from south Bristol to get your flowers in full bloom by spring. Big gap in the market there that needs exploiting. 

But at least we'll get to stand, aren't we special...well no, if the standing rules are ever revoked, every club in the country will have standing areas within a season or so...now we're the same as everyone else. 

Not just stadia. The public transport is more shocking than Bobby Charltons comb over and the City is more congested than my large intestine after a 10oz rare sirloin. 

Bristol: Building Absolutely Nothing Anywhere Near Anything since 1939 

P.S Not to worry, all the pretty pictures by Banksy will distract us from it all eh, because we all love the arts and culture here in Bristol

:grr:  :grr:  :grr:  :grr:  :grr:  :grr:  :grr:  :grr:

This rant is fuelled by Cheddar Valley Dry cider, the work night choice

Good post Welcome to the Jungle.

The whole sorry episode seems to have been debated to death. I'm sure there are hidden agenda's 

Why would our Gorgeous George stand against AV for the good of North Streets Independent traders, yet vote in favour of Sainsbury building at Horfield without giving thought to Gloucester Roads Independent Traders?

Am I the only one thinking this buffoon in Red trousers is more concerned about the Well being of The Tobacco Factory than the well being of our Great City?

Everyone throughout Bristol knows AV isn't a Village Green.

Everyone throughout Bristol knows AV hasn't been used recreationally.

Everyone throughout Bristol knows this is a travesty.

Everyone throughout Bristol knows The Council need to hang their heads in shame. 

BCC are not blameless in all of this. They made the error on one of the AV drawings that led to a JR. They've made an error on the Sainsburys application in Horfield leading to a JR and they did their best to screw up the County Ground development too.

Can't be coincidence.

KITR, this is Bristol City Council.  The one thing it is good at across the board is ****ing things up.  It really could be coincidence.  They are that s***.

Though I do have similar sceptism to you about deliberate mistakes being made to allow challenges.  It only takes one mole..

KITR, this is Bristol City Council.  The one thing it is good at across the board is ****ing things up.  It really could be coincidence.  They are that s***.

Though I do have similar sceptism to you about deliberate mistakes being made to allow challenges.  It only takes one mole..

And what better cover for getting away with it than widespread ineptitude.

KITR, this is Bristol City Council. The one thing it is good at across the board is ****ing things up. It really could be coincidence. They are that s***.

Though I do have similar sceptism to you about deliberate mistakes being made to allow challenges. It only takes one mole..

Don't forget that an expensive enough lawyer will find loopholes in the Ten Commandments, and the NIMBYs and Greens can afford VERY expensive lawyers.

Out of interest, where?

er, Fleece

Thunderbolt

Louisiana

Thekla

Trinity Church

St Georges Brandon Hill

Fiddlers

St Bonaventures

Folk Club

oh and the Colston Hall

Outdoors

Queen Square

Lloyds Ampitheatre

Ashton Court

Ashton Gate

er, Fleece

Thunderbolt

Louisiana

Thekla

Trinity Church

St Georges Brandon Hill

Fiddlers

St Bonaventures

Folk Club

oh and the Colston Hall

Outdoors

Queen Square

Lloyds Ampitheatre

Ashton Court

Ashton Gate

The first list is great for local bands, the 2nd list is not and never will be considered as purpose built and are in the main once a year (weather permitting) 2nd rate venues.

The first list is great for local bands, the 2nd list is not and never will be considered as purpose built and are in the main once a year (weather permitting) 2nd rate venues.

Colston Hall is big enough for decent enough sized bands, the Stones & Beatles have both played there ! The other venues are obviously smaller but Andy asked for a list of good music venues, which they are. Also forgot about the Academy.

Admit the outdoor ones are slightly tongue in cheek.

Colston Hall is big enough for decent enough sized bands, the Stones & Beatles have both played there ! The other venues are obviously smaller but Andy asked for a list of good music venues, which they are. Also forgot about the Academy.

Admit the outdoor ones are slightly tongue in cheek.

Colston Hall is too small in this day and age. It's ridiculous that a shiny new entrance has been built leading into a small dated hall! The artists' facilities are also 2nd rate apparently. Quo won't play there anymore so it's a trip to Cardiff Motorpoint for us each year. Quite enjoyable as Cardiff city centre is so much better than our's, IMO & my wife's, who loves the shops there! Very few bands with a big following play Bristol. So it's usually necessary to go to Cardiff, Birmingham, Bournemouth or London as the closest venues

Colston Hall is too small in this day and age. It's ridiculous that a shiny new entrance has been built leading into a small dated hall! The artists' facilities are also 2nd rate apparently. Quo won't play there anymore so it's a trip to Cardiff Motorpoint for us each year. Quite enjoyable as Cardiff city centre is so much better than our's, IMO & my wife's, who loves the shops there! Very few bands with a big following play Bristol. So it's usually necessary to go to Cardiff, Birmingham, Bournemouth or London as the closest venues

Van the Man is playing later this month, quite a big following. Shame on Quo for ignoring their Bristol fans !

Archived