IGNORED

Does Anyone Think We Will Still Get Relegated?

Super

Any other season I would be a little more worried but there are 11 teams that are all within 10 points of each other (a sort of mini league) and we currently have a better goal difference than most plus up to 3 games in hand on some. Clearly we have to win the majority of our home games and take good points off those around us but I feel very confident that we are up to it. COYR's   

The fact that today was only the second time all season that we have been beaten by more than a single goal could lead you to believing we're not too bad, we're almost always in games and surely it will turn for us soon. I would also say that there have only been a couple of games this season where I have left the game thinking the opposition is any better than us, which after having won only four games and sitting 23rd I accept may sound ridiculous.

However at this moment I'm afraid to say I think we will get relegated.

The ease at which we can be beaten is beyond belief at times. Fair enough today was always going to be a tough game and even a point would have been unexpected, but the way we manage to get ourselves back in the game after being outplayed early, get to a stage where we were arguably the better team for a spell and then give away a goal as soft as the second just before half time is just incredible really from a professional team.

As Cotterill rightly pointed out in the week, we're not good enough in central midfield (and we haven't been for a long time).

We're now 26 league games into our second season of showing an almost complete inability to keep clean sheets. We're onto our third manager and have used god knows how many different players in defence, but still the results pretty much remain the same. The goals may come for different reasons, but the goals still bloody come.

Regularly leaving games feeling slightly hard done by that we haven't gained more points should be a reason for optimism in that, unlike last season, every week we are in the game and individual and isolated errors at both ends of the pitch are costing us points. My concern, and the longer the season goes on naturally the bigger that concern gets, is that good teams take points they don't deserve and bad teams fail to take the points that they do deserve. Our team that got to Wembley under Johnson regularly managed to sneak draws and even wins when we were the worse side, this team chucks points away. This needs to stop pretty bloody quickly.

The fact that today was only the second time all season that we have been beaten by more than a single goal could lead you to believing we're not too bad, we're almost always in games and surely it will turn for us soon. I would also say that there have only been a couple of games this season where I have left the game thinking the opposition is any better than us, which after having won only four games and sitting 23rd I accept may sound ridiculous.

However at this moment I'm afraid to say I think we will get relegated.

The ease at which we can be beaten is beyond belief at times. Fair enough today was always going to be a tough game and even a point would have been unexpected, but the way we manage to get ourselves back in the game after being outplayed early, get to a stage where we were arguably the better team for a spell and then give away a goal as soft as the second just before half time is just incredible really from a professional team.

As Cotterill rightly pointed out in the week, we're not good enough in central midfield (and we haven't been for a long time).

We're now 26 league games into our second season of showing an almost complete inability to keep clean sheets. We're onto our third manager and have used god knows how many different players in defence, but still the results pretty much remain the same. The goals may come for different reasons, but the goals still bloody come.

Regularly leaving games feeling slightly hard done by that we haven't gained more points should be a reason for optimism in that, unlike last season, every week we are in the game and individual and isolated errors at both ends of the pitch are costing us points. My concern, and the longer the season goes on naturally the bigger that concern gets, is that good teams take points they don't deserve and bad teams fail to take the points that they do deserve. Our team that got to Wembley under Johnson regularly managed to sneak draws and even wins when we were the worse side, this team chucks points away. This needs to stop pretty bloody quickly.

It's a strange situation but I am getting very worried now. In all honesty I think we will stay up but only just.

People may think it's an over reaction considering we weren't expecting to get anything today but defensively we just don't ever seem to learn from our mistakes. We didn't even have to make Wolves work for it. On paper we have defenders who should be dominant at this level but we just continue to give away incredibly soft goals.

The problem we have is the longer we are in the relegation zone the harder it will be to get out. Bigger teams than us have fallen.

If anyone actually thought we would win today well they need their heads checking.

You expect us to steam roll wolves who have the best players in the league and can easily hold their own in the championship?

They are 3rd in the league, 7 points clear of 4th, and close favourites to go back up.

They've got players who we're playing Premier League football less than two years ago, and yet we expect to beat them?

Should we only play 45 games this season then?  WHY should we not go to Molineux and expect a result?  Yes it's a tough place to go to, but they're not 'all conquering'.

Prior to today they'd only scored more than 2 goals at home on 2 occasions (early season 4-0 v Gills and a narrow 3-2 v Swindon).

They've drawn with Orient, Brentford, Coventry & Notts County.  They've lost to Walsall & MK Dons.

OUR home record against those same 6 teams is better than Wolves', and we've still got 2 of them to play!!

Perhaps had we gone there and set up the defence correctly we might have given ourselves a chance.  4 centre backs in one team is baffling in itself, but playing one of them as a wing back is just ridiculous.

By the way, Brentford have a better home record than Wolves.  Should we just save ourselves the trouble and not bother turning up?

Should we only play 45 games this season then? WHY should we not go to Molineux and expect a result? Yes it's a tough place to go to, but they're not 'all conquering'.

Prior to today they'd only scored more than 2 goals at home on 2 occasions (early season 4-0 v Gills and a narrow 3-2 v Swindon).

They've drawn with Orient, Brentford, Coventry & Notts County. They've lost to Walsall & MK Dons.

OUR home record against those same 6 teams is better than Wolves', and we've still got 2 of them to play!!

Perhaps had we gone there and set up the defence correctly we might have given ourselves a chance. 4 centre backs in one team is baffling in itself, but playing one of them as a wing back is just ridiculous.

By the way, Brentford have a better home record than Wolves. Should we just save ourselves the trouble and not bother turning up?

I actually expected more from Wolves. Thought they were pretty ordinary for all the talent they have at their disposal and a lot of their good play came from our mistakes.

Dicko is an exceptional signing for them though and having the likes of Sako and Griffiths on the bench they should be doing better. By all means not all conquering. Regardless of whether we felt we wouldn't get anything today of not, there's a way of doing things and we went the wrong way about it.

As for Brentford, thought they were bang average at our place but just because they have a decent home record and are top doesn't mean we should simply surrender like some seem to think is acceptable.

The chances of us staying up would have been greater had we appointed Colin because he knows what he is doing and has proven it time and time again. He may not have been the long term solution but this club has no long term solution when it comes to gaffers and the powers that be should not be believed when they say they do. Changing from Sean was a huge gamble but could have been tempered far more by a less risky appointment. We have already seen some very odd formations and/or player positions.

So, will he keep us up? Doubtful but possible. It's not as if we are, as yet, cast adrift.

I've tried to explain this several times; this time I'll just Ignore the idiots who don't get it.

I think it was a big mistake to change managers when we did. It would have been just as big a mistake to sack Cotterill and replace him with O'Driscoll in our position. The new manager is trying to build his team under intense pressure and it showed in tonight's interview. I hope it works but, if it doesn't, FFS let's not sack another manager.

This pressure must have been expected by him. He was brought in first and foremost to keep us up. Unlike SOD with the popular opinion being, the board had already accepted relegation or at least had things in place in preparation.

So if cotterell doesn't keep us up he has failed ! Haven't heard his post match interview but certainly sounds like with the posts on here he is feeling the pressure.

Let's just hope it was just a bad day at the office.

Hang on ! the route to safety is a easy one ! all we have to do is drop our top scorer ( the same guy who creates most of our goals ) and we will storm up the table according to the football geniuses on here !

As I see it we have two teams.

1. Ten blokes who put in a shift, defend, run back to cover and might score a goal.
  2. One bloke who saunters around and usually pops up with a goal or two and a couple of assists.

I'm all for playing both teams.

I'm torn...

Part of me says we are improving, have enough quality in the squad, have been unlucky at times and simply have not converted enough draws into wins. Therefore I'm confident we'll stay up.

Then, on the other hand, I've been saying these things all season. "We'll start to win a few now", "we'll be ok". But the fact is it's nearly February, we're still in the bottom four and teams that were down there with us are starting to pick up wins and pull themselves out (Gillingham and Oldham). We, are not.

I do think we'll be ok - but I feel very anxious about the whole thing. Relegation would be disastorous. We desperately need to win 2 or 3 in a row. If we were just a couple of places and a few more points better off I will feel a lot better off. It doesn't help the nerves playing the better teams all at once as we're unlikely to take much from those games.

What is very worrying is we find so many different ways to drop points. Individual mistakes one week. Collective poor defending another week. Overrun midfield another week. Missed chances another week etc. And sometimes, when we're really on song, we combine the lot into one match. Where do you start to put it right?

It looked like we had turned the corner, or at least could see some green shoots of recovery but then sack the manager. Don't get me wrong, he deserved to go but the timing was ahocking.

Since then the form hasn't really looked worse, but I don't see enough to be confident that relegation will be avoided.

Btw, if City are relegated, it won't be a disaster. It would be horrible for morale and I would feel sorry for all you that live in Bristol (from this point of view), but I am certain the club would bounce back in style.

Do you really believe that?

A lot of people were saying that when we got religated to L1.

Btw, if City are relegated, it won't be a disaster. It would be horrible for morale and I would feel sorry for all you that live in Bristol (from this point of view), but I am certain the club would bounce back in style.

Do you really believe that?

A lot of people were saying that when we got religated to L1.

I was saying that when we went down to L1, but.I'm not saying it now.

I think there is every chance we will reach safety and stay up.

To be honest, I wasn't sure about Steve Cotterill's speedy appointment but there is a distinct and positive change in the character of the team, since his arrival.

The goal difference will help us if we can get a decent run of wins together. We mustn't fail to beat the lower teams as they are the easier targets. If can't do that, we will go down.

I am still feeling positive despite Saturday's set-back. Onwards and upwards lads!

Andy

This thread made my nose bleed - literally!  Statistically speaking it's likely we will go down, but things can change rapidly. We must win the 1 or 2 games in hand that we have on the others to have a half-decent chance of staying-up.  For me the big question is whether SC has enough time to instill the mental toughness (will, desire, fitness) needed to win football games - we have the players, it's just that there is not a winning mentality.

It will be horrendous if we get relegated this season. Simply horrendous. Fans always think their club will bounce straight back but it seldom happens. We would be a bigger fish in Div 2 and clubs would be looking for a scalp. Season ticket holders would give up in their droves. I hope and pray we don't get relegated but I'm really not seeing where winning performances are coming from. I think way too many people were getting overly excited when we beat Stevenage and then accepting a draw at home against MK Dons as acceptable. We simply need to get three points at Brentford and then go on a winning run. I'm optimistic we had the players to do that but the recent tinkering with formations appear to be achieving little other than making us look defensively naive.

Archived