IGNORED

Rovers Newport Trouble ..

swampy

It pays to watch yourself in Wales, mind. They don't get noticed for much over there anymore (without outside help, eg Vince) but fighting keeps them from being forgotten. Only the other week, the hedd were called to sort an angry mob about to riot in a Poundland shop in Wrexham, when the 50p sale was halted and everything was returned to full price. You couldn't make it up! You don't have to make it up! I mean, if you're going to mob up and have a "row" in a shop, go for M&S (in the underwear department), or a cheapo booze store, or Greggs, or even Marks Bread on North Street.......

I was at Newport for all those games and I wasn't in the middle of any of it! But I distinctly remember the sound of sirens, the stench of alcohol, plod in the away end and an "atmosphere," to put it mildly. And marking Richard Burton's death in song, just for good measure. Oh, happy days....

Some posters are bigging up Cardiff's firm and belittling Newport's. If you speak to Cardiff fans they have a lot of respect for Newport. For a small club they have a disproportionately high number of nutters I.e think Millwall. Rovers will have all their nutters out in force today and there will undoubtedly be trouble. The other certainty is that it will be Newport, Cardiff or City's fault but nothing to do with the family club.

I remember a cup game - maybe the league cup - versus Newport.  Late 60s before the Dolman was built when you could change ends at half time.  Newport moved from the Ashton Park end to the East End and vice versa.  City fans emerged with this Welsh flag on fire ... classic moment. Fair play to their fans today - they joined in to a man (person) with the minute's applause for Trevor Jacobs.  

Archived