IGNORED

Cotts After Match On Radio Bristol

Major Isewater

Agreed. SO'D was not a journo pleaser and, by many accounts, neither is Cotts. How many times were replies from Fergie considered arrogant? Thats correct, countless. How many times does Wenger come across as a whinging Frenchman? Correct again.. too many to mention. And how many times does Jose try on his dour drollness or dry humour that the journos often don't get? .. etc etc. 

Personally I don't like the bloke and never have but he gets my support while he is our manager, end of.

Based on what exactly? 

Based on what exactly? 

First in reply to Pong088:- Like a few others, having now listened to the interview, i saw nothing wrong with the replies from Cotts. Equally i thought the interviewer (Ed Hadwin?) sounded far too timid and meak and mild and asked a few fairly boring questions. 

Nogs.. i can always warm to a guy but before he came to City I thought he was more arrogant than good. If he is both i have no problem. Time will tell if he is good.

First in reply to Pong088:- Like a few others, having now listened to the interview, i saw nothing wrong with the replies from Cotts. Equally i thought the interviewer (Ed Hadwin?) sounded far too timid and meak and mild and asked a few fairly boring questions. 

Nogs.. i can always warm to a guy but before he came to City I thought he was more arrogant than good. If he is both i have no problem. Time will tell if he is good.

Fair enough Havana, I've never taken too much notice of him previously so he more or less starts with a clean slate for me.

I reckon it must be really hard work managing City these days and the amount of interviews managers are obliged to give means there's always likely to be one or two when they either say something unguarded and a bit silly, or the tone of what they say is misinterpreted. For instance Dicks wasn't known for irritating interviews because comparatively speaking we hardly ever heard from him, so I'll allow Cotterill the odd imperfect after match interview as long as it's the exception rather than the rule..

Generally I like the bloke's positivity and most of what he's had to say so far. Having said that Saturday's post match RB interview didn't come over well at all imo. A bit hyperactive and petulant in places, and I don't expect he'll be too proud of it if he hears it back.

Fair enough Havana, I've never taken too much notice of him previously so he more or less starts with a clean slate for me.

I reckon it must be really hard work managing City these days and the amount of interviews managers are obliged to give means there's always likely to be one or two when they either say something unguarded and a bit silly, or the tone of what they say is misinterpreted. For instance Dicks wasn't known for irritating interviews because comparatively speaking we hardly ever heard from him, so I'll allow Cotterill the odd imperfect after match interview as long as it's the exception rather than the rule..

Generally I like the bloke's positivity and most of what he's had to say so far. Having said that Saturday's post match RB interview didn't come over well at all imo. A bit hyperactive and petulant in places, and I don't expect he'll be too proud of it if he hears it back.

My pet hate with one of the interviewers on RB (Not sure which one it is) is the lack of actual questions.

He essentially makes a statement under the guise of a question leaving the manager little room to give a natural answer. Could well be Hadwin.

I believe SC was a bit uncalled for in a few of his responses in this interview however the interview doesn't help himself through his style and questioning!

My pet hate with one of the interviewers on RB (Not sure which one it is) is the lack of actual questions.

He essentially makes a statement under the guise of a question leaving the manager little room to give a natural answer. Could well be Hadwin.

I believe SC was a bit uncalled for in a few of his responses in this interview however the interview doesn't help himself through his style and questioning!

Agree, but I don't think it's just Hadwin, it's all of them - bar Twentyman perhaps.

It just seems the way young journalists are indoctrinated to interview these days and leaves little room for individuality, or for that matter interesting questions. Also it seems they don't want to rock the boat by asking anything remotely controversial, so come over timid, and imo sycophantic, and annoying.

As you say the 'questions' often come in the form of inane statements which leave little room for the interviewee to do more than just agree with them, so it's hardly surprising when Cotterill tries to expand and say something interesting in reply he may occasionally go a bit over the top, or of course, being radio, his tone misinterpreted.

As pb said, supposed anybody is supposed ! sc has always been the same, when his teams win it's a laugh + a joke and were all mates together ,! when they loose it's spite bile + sarcasm ! anybody remember his wild eyed rant when we beat his Forest side 1 _0 away ? that was a guy who couldn't take the pressure, + he didn't last much longer ! anyway, anybody who dosnt like it better get used to it ! he won't change now ! and I doubt very much if he cared very much if he's offended anybody on otib !

Just listened to SC's interview for the first time. What's everyones problem, he answered the questions and in the end got a little pissed with the continuation of the the same transfer question he is asked daily. Quite right in his response, of course he was busy from Friday he had a big match to concentrate on.

Well done Steve, now it's up to the players to follow through with it.

Just listened to SC's interview for the first time. What's everyones problem, he answered the questions and in the end got a little pissed with the continuation of the the same transfer question he is asked daily. Quite right in his response, of course he was busy from Friday he had a big match to concentrate on.

+1

I can't believe that I'm defending Cotterill against the Usual Suspects :facepalm:

Its hardly 'everyone' singing from the same hymn sheet on Cotts' reply old mucker.

Qty of interviews is an absolutely fair point. I salute those managers who nearly always come across as professional and, shall we say, mild mannered.. such as perhaps the Swansea and Liverpool managers... at least from when i have listened. 

Its no doubt quite difficult to find an interviewee in the sticks of rugger land who is ever going to be good enough, and by that i mean willing, able and man enough to stand 'upright', with his questions. You have to go into interview with a few bullet point questions and ask them confidently. You also have to be prepared to be bullied and if you are you have to be able to retort either with a suitable riposte or simply ignore it and ask the same question again, perhaps in a different way, until you get the answer you want. These chaps owe it to us licence fee payers.

The gaffs from Malone were laudable or laughable but he tended to not be bossed around in interview because gaffers had some sort of odd respect for him. Hadwin, perhaps amongst others, is simply too soft. He needs to have a few big T Bone steaks, get down the gym or take a few girl friends on wild dates.

Archived