IGNORED

Review Of Transfer Window

Harry

To be fair though Football Manager is still great for finding talents. I haven't really played it in a few years but there are more players doing well in real life that I've had on it over the years than what City have signed that's for sure.

Fewer want to come to a club heading inexorably in the wrong direction for 4 years now while sacking their manager every 9-12 months.

Any sane agent will steer their player well away from us unless they have few or no other options. I certainly would.

These are common sense reasons we are not picking up the right players.

Harry, genuine question, how DO you know so much about these players?

Do you travel to places like Wycombe and Oldham and watch random games? Obviously these teams are never on TV so that must be the only way?

Are you a football scout?

It's great that you share your knowledge but I think a few are just curious as to how you know so much about little known players.

To be fair though Football Manager is still great for finding talents. I haven't really played it in a few years but there are more players doing well in real life that I've had on it over the years than what City have signed that's for sure.

Just wondering, how does Football Manager gather all the stats and special qualities a player has? Do they have 'scouts'?

Carlisle have signed two young lads on loan from Man United who could make their debuts today. I've never heard of them but you would assume they're half decent.

Also Harry has mentioned Rory Donnelly above but Coventry have also signed Nathan Delfouneso on loan for the rest of the season which is a quality signing for this level. He's likely to make his debut for them against us :no: as their game at Walsall today has been postponed.

Sometimes it lies but others it's spot on

Marco Verratti 09/10 FM signed for 20k for Bristol City turned into a wonderkid

nowadays he's starting for PSG

Christian Tello signed him for Bristol City from Barca B team when he was 17 turned into a class act, Nowadays in the Barca set up and wanted by Arsenal

Random one, Shelvey at Charlton could get him for 50k at the start of 09/10 now at Swansea

Football Manager gets the potential usually spot on with a bit of give each way. I don't know why people knock it so much!

Pretty insulting to Harry that anyone genuinely believes he only knows players through Football manager. I think it's pretty well known on here his knowledge is extensive and he knows his stuff. He watches an awful lot of football and from what I understand has a lot of contacts in the game and other people who watch games.

Not everyone who has good knowledge get's it from a computer game! 

Thanks for the list as well Harry. I would have thought people sat up and appreciated this given the amount of players we have missed out on over the years, along with the amount of crap journeymen we have seen.

Harry doesn't get them all spot on. He was one of the first that suggested we signed Marlon Pack!!

I jest, of course! I find your knowledge of pretty much unheard of player fascinating. It's a shame more people on here don't have a fraction of your knowledge about the game.

Harry doesn't get them all spot on. He was one of the first that suggested we signed Marlon Pack!!

I jest, of course! I find your knowledge of pretty much unheard of player fascinating. It's a shame more people on here don't have a fraction of your knowledge about the game.

Harry and I don't always agree but it must be pretty dispiriting for him when most of the replies on this thread are sarcastic comments or crap attempts at humour.

We do need to completely brush up our scouting network and unlike other posters Harry has put a lot of hours into recommending players to the club.

Fair play to Harry if he does go and watch games/has contacts and things!

I'd like to think the club has extensive knowledge of the lower leagues especially with FFP coming into force. All they have to do is look down the league stats of say the conference and lower and see who's top of the scoring charts and send a scout a couple times to see if they are any good, that's how I imagine Swindon picked up Charlie Austin from Poole! Similar to players like Craig M-Smith, Aaron McLean, Lee Tomlin etc.

Obviously its easier for strikers as you have goals to go on but I hope the club does have knowledge of lower leagues, they probably do have various players they keep tabs on they just don't let everyone know about it! We picked up Adomah from L2.

Don't the club invite scout reports into them if they are done properly etc? I may be wrong.

I'm genuinely interested to know how he does it, how many games he watches etc but he doesn't seem I want to comment for some reason

Hey RedDave.  Sorry, I've not logged in here since Friday night so only just catching up on this.

I'll answer your question as best I can.  What I will firstly say is that, for the players mentioned in my opening post, I have witnessed all of them play except the Falkirk lads.

I do get to games as and when I can, less often recently though as I've got a 7 week old baby that's taken over my time!!

Between myself and a couple of friends, we get to quite a number of games and we also have a lot of contacts in the game from whom we get reports and recommendations.

So basically, if I haven't seen someone, one of my mates may have done, and if they haven't, then one of our contacts may have done.  We all have complete trust in each others opinions too.

So, put simply, nowt to do with a computer game!!

p.s. re the Falkirk lads mentioned, I said that I haven't seen these guys play, but one of my contacts in Scotland has done and I 100% trust his judgement.

Great list Harry,

I'd love to see our "database" of players, you'd like to think several of those would be on there but I have my doubts.

To be fair and realistic, there is not many there that I would want to be signing this January and hoping they could keep us up. Of the ones that I would (Dicko, Judge & Lolley), they have all gone to much higher teams than ourselves anyway.

It's a list of players that would have been far more suited for the transfer window in the summer just gone IMO.

Great list Harry,

I'd love to see our "database" of players, you'd like to think several of those would be on there but I have my doubts.

To be fair and realistic, there is not many there that I would want to be signing this January and hoping they could keep us up. Of the ones that I would (Dicko, Judge & Lolley), they have all gone to much higher teams than ourselves anyway.

It's a list of players that would have been far more suited for the transfer window in the summer just gone IMO.

Indeed it would've done Kibs.  They've been on my own personal 'database' for a long time.

Archived