IGNORED

How Can That First Half Be Explained?

Robbored

Very very happy with th 3 points today like everyone else but how does anyone explain that first 45 of utter shite? I mean in the last few seasons and under different managers we've seen plenty inept performances but surely today's first half was about the worse. The team seemed to have no idea at all of what they were supposed to doing. They were disjointed and all over the place.It wasn't as if Carlisle were that good either so little blame can be placed at their door.

I find it mystifying that City could be so bad. They are professional footballers, they train, practice and have team meetings and yet turn up and play like amateurs.

Cotterill, like others before him must be pulling his hair out when he sees his team play like that. At least he changed it at half time and that made a huge difference. He must have got into them as well and they looked a different outfit second half.

His post match interview should be interesting.

Very very happy with th 3 points today like everyone else but how does anyone explain that first 45 of utter shite? I mean in the last few seasons and under different managers we've seen plenty inept performances but sure today's first half was about the worse. The team seemed to have no idea at all of what they were supposed to doing. They were disjointed and all over the place.It wasn't as if Carlisle were that good either so little blame can be placed at their door.

I find it mystifying that City could be so bad. They are professional footballers, they train, practice and have team meetings and yet turn up and play like amateurs.

Cotterill, like others before him must be pulling his hair out when he sees his team play like that. At least he changed it at half time and that made a huge difference. He must have got into them as well and they looked a different outfit second half.

it was n't ! still we won, so well done Steve.

A combination of being confused by 532 and low on confidence.

We need to stop this wingbacks nonsense, three at the back confuses the central defenders and Cunningham and Wagstaff are not good enough to do one job reliably let alone two.

I've never seen a team make so many individual errors, bad passes and poor decisions - all of them unforced.

I don't know what formation(s) we played in the second half or how we got three points, but if we play like that again we won't win.

Very very happy with th 3 points today like everyone else but how does anyone explain that first 45 of utter shite? I mean in the last few seasons and under different managers we've seen plenty inept performances but surely today's first half was about the worse. The team seemed to have no idea at all of what they were supposed to doing. They were disjointed and all over the place.It wasn't as if Carlisle were that good either so little blame can be placed at their door.

The level of performance was worse at Brentford.

Very very happy with th 3 points today like everyone else but how does anyone explain that first 45 of utter shite? I mean in the last few seasons and under different managers we've seen plenty inept performances but sure today's first half was about the worse. The team seemed to have no idea at all of what they were supposed to doing. They were disjointed and all over the place.It wasn't as if Carlisle were that good either so little blame can be placed at their door.

Couple of things come to mind for me. Unfortunately Bobby Reid was a passenger today, and Wade Elliot looked a bit lost as to what to do with the ball when he got it as there was no one making the play. Also El Abd does not look good in a 3-5-3 formation. He's too slow and his positioning seems wrong. Add Jet in one of his wanting to beat everyone moods and we offered nothing.

Second half with Burns threatening, Barnett causing some problems and Flint and El Adb looking much more solid as a central pairing in defence, plus Marv getting stuck in in midfield along with a much more creative looking JET we looked a lot better.

How can it be explained?

Poor team selection compounded by poor conditions. Starting with the new Elliot was brave or misguided depending on your point of view; playing football in strong wind is a bastard.

BUT

Bold decisive right decision by Cotterill at half time. Recognised the problem and dealt with it.

Dare I say SOD would have pontificated until 70 minutes when it was too late and is one of many examples why whereas SOD would have taken us down we do now at least have a fighting chance

For me we were awful in both halves. Just glad that Elliott was on the ball from 2 set pieces...

There are a lot of scary things that I notice which all add up to why we are so bad...one being our defenders passing it back to the keepers weaker foot nearly every time. Do they not talk or even notice how difficult it makes it for the keeper?

To be honest the whole game was rubbish and we were desperately poor. At least the players dug in after we went ahead though. Not sure I've ever seen us play so badly and win.

I completely agree with this. Fair play to the lads for getting the win and three vital points. However, other than the two minutes when Marv scored I thought we were 2nd best and completely awful in the first half.

I wasn't at Griffin Park but at least Brentford are a very decent side. Carlisle were very ordinary.

It makes no difference to myself. The players should be motivated to perform to a consistent level by the Manager all the time, not just one forty five munutes in one hundred and eighty.

So how do I explain today? The players don't have the faith in the Manager at this point they should have and the roles they are being asked to play.

One, and only one of the numerous reasons is if City play with wing backs, the wing backs must be able to defend. Wagstaff is a good attacking midfield player but his defensive ability and positional sense is negligible. As a result, in the first half, El Abd was trying to play central defence and full back at the same time.

It makes no difference to myself. The players should be motivated to perform to a consistent level by the Manager all the time, not just one forty five munutes in one hundred and eighty.

So how do I explain today? The players don't have the faith in the Manager at this point they should have and the roles they are being asked to play.

Rubbish. Cant see a more motivated manager anywhere,its more down to players playing to there ability. For me gillett reid pack are not good enough but thats not the managers fault they were inherited. Reid may one day be ok but not ready for full on ist team yet. Gillet was the only option to keep at the time but never more than a fetch and carry player ,never going to control a game with 3lightweights like these. Marv showed whats needed at this level , effort and determination. If they all give that for 90 mins we would not be in this position.the pretty passing game is for higher up than the third div and for better players .

Rubbish. Cant see a more motivated manager anywhere,its more down to players playing to there ability. For me gillett reid pack are not good enough but thats not the managers fault they were inherited. Reid may one day be ok but not ready for full on ist team yet. Gillet was the only option to keep at the time but never more than a fetch and carry player ,never going to control a game with 3lightweights like these. Marv showed whats needed at this level , effort and determination. If they all give that for 90 mins we would not be in this position.the pretty passing game is for higher up than the third div and for better players .

Managers get players playing to their abilty. It is what "Managing" is. The first half today and Tuesdays performance should have Mr Cotterill questionng HIS tactics and HIS team selection.

Numerous players have put in two poor performancess in a week, included there are players Mr Cotterill brought in. These players do not pick themslves.

Twice in days players have been made high numbers of unforced mistakes, players also v Brentford struggled to maintain a team shape. The whole XI 's fault or something else? I would go for players not being comfortable with the Managers formation. El - Abd's passing to feet today at one point was of a abject level for a Professional football player.

Managers get players playing to their abilty. It is what "Managing" is. The first half today and Tuesdays performance should have Mr Cotterill questionng HIS tactics and HIS team selection.

Numerous players have put in two poor performancess in a week, included there are players Mr Cotterill brought in. These players do not pick themslves.

Twice in days players have been made high numbers of unforced mistakes, players also v Brentford struggled to maintain a team shape. The whole XI 's fault or something else? I would go for players not being comfortable with the Managers formation. El - Abd's passing to feet today at one point was of a abject level for a Professional football player.

Horse shit and you know it

Conditions played a big part today driving rain and high winds will never produce good football

What we do know is sc is a far better manager the sod

Conditions played a big part today driving rain and high winds will never produce good football

We will see. He certainly seems more of a motivator, so fingers crossed.

As happens, the five teams we have played once under each, the results have been identical, although SOD was plus 3 GD.

It is blindingly irrelevant. SC is the manager now, and as such I hope he does well.

when we signed Adam, the love in with him was so ott ! yes the Brighton fans rated his attitude, but one of the things they cri Iticised him for was his inability to pass a ball ( other than 10 yard sideways passes ) in the otib love in melt down this somehow got translated i cento " he's a ball playicentral defender"

He DID question them. That's why he changed his tactics and his team for the second half, successfully as it turned out.

How do we know that SC is far better than sod monke became you said a so ? not so long ago you were I jumping on any body ( including cmyself ) who dare to criticise sod, you are hypocrite ! the bottom line is were all city fans, sod has gone! why do people like you feel the neef to constantly have a pop at him ? pathetic !

How can it be explained?

Poor team selection compounded by poor conditions. Starting with the new Elliot was brave or misguided depending on your point of view; playing football in strong wind is a bastard.

BUT

Bold decisive right decision by Cotterill at half time. Recognised the problem and dealt with it.

Dare I say SOD would have pontificated until 70 minutes when it was too late and is one of many examples why whereas SOD would have taken us down we do now at least have a fighting chance

bring on the mystery tour to ahem..Shropshire mate

My posts noted a malaise also affected the team tuesday. The team as a cohesive defensive unit is not improving.

My opinion is it isn't the weather.

What's annoying is Moloney should be playing rb in a 4-4-2. There's no balance otherwise. El abd is not comfortable at rb and too small for cb. El abd should be a DM. I would like to see Moloney, osbourne, Williams and Cunningham in a back 4. Stick el abd in midfield alongside Reid or Elliot where his tackling will be more effective.

My posts noted a malaise also affected the team tuesday. The team as a cohesive defensive unit is not improving.

My opinion is it isn't the weather.

The weather obviously played a big part.

I was in the Lower Dolman. At one stage in the first half the rain was driving into the left hand side of my face, 20 seconds later the right.

You only had to walk along the track in front of the Dolman at h/t to realise just how strong and swirly the wind was at pitch level.

The team did very well to come out and win the game in the second half, an improvement generated by spot on substitutions and what must have been a very motivational h/t team talk.

Archived