IGNORED

Disturbing Culture - Simple Question?

PFree

It's so weak and easy to slag off anyone when you're in a crowd of people backing you.

I'd love to see some fans grow some and say it to a players face...like that's ever going to happen.

Players don't play badly on purpose.

If they are not good enough then the manager should get stick for buying them.

So many football fans think they are billy big bollox when they are in their 'gang'

Individually....most are cowering fools that wouldn't say boo to a goose.

You are right but it's always happened in football. That's the nature of many football fans and it isn't going to change any time soon. And that is why players have to learn to ignore it and make sure they give 100% in EVERY game - the minimum requirement of a Professional in my view.

If at work (whatever you do), you had a group of people (thousands perhaps) watching over your shoulder every move and moaning, criticising and booing any mistake you make, big or small would it make you perform better at your job? No, clearly not. Yes they are paid well for a high pressure job but they are humans and respond to negativity (or positivity) in exactly the same way as everyone else.

Support the team FFS, that does not mean booing!!!

If at work (whatever you do), you had a group of people (thousands perhaps) watching over your shoulder every move and moaning, criticising and booing any mistake you make, big or small would it make you perform better at your job? No, clearly not. Yes they are paid well for a high pressure job but they are humans and respond to negativity (or positivity) in exactly the same way as everyone else.

High pressure job? have a word with yourself, fighting in Afghanistan is a high pressure job and in the main soldiers are bullied, shouted at and at times humiliated, but still act in a professional and a team like fashion, footballers a big cosseted pussies in comparison.

High pressure job? have a word with yourself, fighting in Afghanistan is a high pressure job and in the main soldiers are bullied, shouted at and at times humiliated, but still act in a professional and a team like fashion, footballers a big cosseted pussies in comparison.

You're saying professional football isn't high pressure then? Ok so it doesn't compare to a conflict situation but nothing does, really does it?

To extend your analogy, do you think soldiers would perform better or worse if they knew that the general public thought they were crap and were doing a bad job? What if they have 6 months leave and have people shouting abuse at them in the streets? Would that help or hinder performance? How many times do soldiers get told they are the pride of the nation, do it for queen and country etc etc. That is the equivalent of 'doing it for the fans'.

Yes soldiers get shouted at by senior officers, but they also get rewarded for good performance, just like footballers get shouted at by coaches and managers.

There has been a lot of research into motivation (i.e. carrot vs stick) and carrot had been shown to be more effective. There was even a documentary a couple of years ago based on army recruits, half of which were motivated on a purely reward scheme and half motivated by punishment. They put them head to head in a number of different activities and the 'carrot' group won every time...

It's pleasing that some 'fans' can see the light here, I guess the question is how we start to change the culture going forward?

When we had the 2get behind the team" and "bounce around the ground" chants, it lifted the atmosphere and I believe we were more behind the team - so how can we collectively start to 'support' OUR team?

I think some of us have had similarly high profile jobs with, arguably, greater pressure and potential for criticism than footballers. TV, radio and papers you name it and personally slagged off. My earnings were equivalent to a month of your average footballers wages.

When under the cosh, anybody of any worth to their profession should roll their *****ing sleeves up and prove the critics wrong. The amount of passion, fight, will to win on the pitch from City is marked by its absence. How many times do you see a player who scores an OG go up the other end and put one in the opponents net? How many times recently have you seen a City player do that?

Fed up listening to apologists and intellectuals. Forget the grenades, it's time for ******ing atom bombs.

I think some of us have had similarly high profile jobs with, arguably, greater pressure and potential for criticism than footballers. TV, radio and papers you name it and personally slagged off. My earnings were equivalent to a month of your average footballers wages.

When under the cosh, anybody of any worth to their profession should roll their *****ing sleeves up and prove the critics wrong. The amount of passion, fight, will to win on the pitch from City is marked by its absence. How many times do you see a player who scores an OG go up the other end and put one in the opponents net? How many times recently have you seen a City player do that?

Fed up listening to apologists and intellectuals. Forget the grenades, it's time for ******ing atom bombs.

Right fine, you're entitled to an opinion. Carry on booing then if you think it helps...

Right fine, you're entitled to an opinion. Carry on booing then if you think it helps...

Indeed. The tragedy among all this is that the booing/bullying brigade have no idea that they're also part of the problem affecting this club.

I can't imagine any occupation in the world where someone under-performing has ever done better by being harassed and bullied by others.

I really can't be arsed to go and watch anymore were in l1 for a reason were not going to see 90 mins of amazing Barca style football every week. But our so called fans getting on the players backs, Only getting behind the side untill we score ( the other night was a joke the Atyeo only started getting behind the team once we scored the rest of the game was spent in total silence other than abusing players). I've had enough I'm fed up with it I already have a st so if I can't find anyone to take it off my hands I'll let it go to waste. I'd rather find something more intresting to do than listen to a bunch of old ****s that don't know their arseholes from thier elbows abuse players and the manager.

Yes we've been poor but I really can't get my head round how getting on the players backs can help the team or ironic cheers when they pass a ball. I can only remember this being the last few years with a number of players being used as the next scapegoat. But still if people pay their money I suppose the're allowed to but not for me like I said I'm gonna give AG a miss for the forseeable. If people honestly think that giving the players shit if supporting the team and gonna make them play amazing because they get abused well I'd rather not be anywhere near those silly ****heads if I'm honest. 

You're saying professional football isn't high pressure then? Ok so it doesn't compare to a conflict situation but nothing does, really does it?

To extend your analogy, do you think soldiers would perform better or worse if they knew that the general public thought they were crap and were doing a bad job? What if they have 6 months leave and have people shouting abuse at them in the streets? Would that help or hinder performance? How many times do soldiers get told they are the pride of the nation, do it for queen and country etc etc. That is the equivalent of 'doing it for the fans'.

Yes soldiers get shouted at by senior officers, but they also get rewarded for good performance, just like footballers get shouted at by coaches and managers.

There has been a lot of research into motivation (i.e. carrot vs stick) and carrot had been shown to be more effective. There was even a documentary a couple of years ago based on army recruits, half of which were motivated on a purely reward scheme and half motivated by punishment. They put them head to head in a number of different activities and the 'carrot' group won every time...

I can't see them being very effective in Afghanistan armed only with carrots !

I said in the earlier post I haven't jeered a City player. I understand but don't condone.

However, in return I ask the manager to demonstrate he's delivering a massive kick up the backside to the 'team' and that he can get a grip on the basics of a 4-4-2 system that these 'players' will understand. I would also ask the coaches and scouts, if we have any, to explain why they are having no influence on our tail-spinning spiral of decline. Above all, I want the players to show they *****ing care for the Club I've supported for around 50 years.

Oh and bless the little darlings if they are affected by booing - in the real world they'd be sacked for incompetence.

The problem globally is a lack of respect for others in our society.

Politicians,teachers,police...etc are all subject to ridicule and devalorisation ,sometimes merited ,more often not.

Respect should be earned but disrespect should be moderated as abusing another human being degrades the abuser.

Call me a 'hippy ' If you wish but a little more love and under standing of our fellow man could make our lives sooooo much better all round

As Lennon and Mc Cartney wrote "all you need is love" and they are n't wrong .

Its a nice sentiment and people who are respectful, kind and loving DO lead more fulfilling happy lives.

Sadly they are seldom found within the professional football industry - at every level, including the supporters.

I still ****ing hate Leeds though!

I said in the earlier post I haven't jeered a City player. I understand but don't condone.

However, in return I ask the manager to demonstrate he's delivering a massive kick up the backside to the 'team' and that he can get a grip on the basics of a 4-4-2 system that these 'players' will understand. I would also ask the coaches and scouts, if we have any, to explain why they are having no influence on our tail-spinning spiral of decline. Above all, I want the players to show they *****ing care for the Club I've supported for around 50 years.

Oh and bless the little darlings if they are affected by booing - in the real world they'd be sacked for incompetence.

You can't say the players aren't trying they do the problem is individual errors and not just one person either it's been a host of players that have been costing us points. Don't get me wrong I'm as pissed off as the next City fan is that we are where we are not being able to put together a decent 90 min game of football. But there's a time and place to get on the players back haven't got a problem at the half time whistle  letting the team know that it wasn't good enough if they put in a perforamce like they have the last few home games or at the final whistle. What I don't get is giving players abuse and it's more than just a few boo's during the game. You can't really compare playing football to joe Bloggs average job on the street. But if you have people telling you you're a useless cu## and can fuc# off and work somewhere else everytime you fuc# up at work would that really make you try harder and motivate you?. 

Its a nice sentiment and people who are respectful, kind and loving DO lead more fulfilling happy lives.

Sadly they are seldom found within the professional football industry - at every level, including the supporters.

I still ****ing hate Leeds though!

You should n't hate Leeds ,they've given us ,in no particular order Jimmy Mann,superBob ,Norman Hunter ,Terry Cooper ,Joe Jordan and Kilkenny .

Kilkenny ? You might have a point .

We all 'ate Leeds And Leeds ,...

just out of interest when have you seen worse.

I can't recall a specific moment but during Pulis's time there was an underlying hostilty towards him from the start that just worsened .

I was surprised by the agression shown towards him and felt it was stopping us from progressing under him.

Afterwards i realised it was all fully justified ;0)

I can't recall a specific moment but during Pulis's time there was an underlying hostilty towards him from the start that just worsened .

I was surprised by the agression shown towards him and felt it was stopping us from progressing under him.

Afterwards i realised it was all fully justified ;0)

think most of it was playful humour..

You can't say the players aren't trying they do the problem is individual errors and not just one person either it's been a host of players that have been costing us points. Don't get me wrong I'm as pissed off as the next City fan is that we are where we are not being able to put together a decent 90 min game of football. But there's a time and place to get on the players back haven't got a problem at the half time whistle  letting the team know that it wasn't good enough if they put in a perforamce like they have the last few home games or at the final whistle. What I don't get is giving players abuse and it's more than just a few boo's during the game. You can't really compare playing football to joe Bloggs average job on the street. But if you have people telling you you're a useless cu## and can **** off and work somewhere else everytime you **** up at work would that really make you try harder and motivate you?.

Personally, as I've done several times in my career - you use it as a positive, re double your efforts and go out and prove the barstewards wrong. There's nothing more satisfying.

The OG issue is just a small case in point. Well known in betting circles if a player scores an OG you lump it on that player to score next for his team. Just don't do it with City. Whether that's because of lack of effort, talent whatever I do not know but troubling nevertheless that our Club is an exception.

Personally, as I've done several times in my career - you use it as a positive, re double your efforts and go out and prove the barstewards wrong. There's nothing more satisfying.

The OG issue is just a small case in point. Well known in betting circles if a player scores an OG you lump it on that player to score next for his team. Just don't do it with City. Whether that's because of lack of effort, talent whatever I do not know but troubling nevertheless that our Club is an exception.

Can I have your autograph please Mr Beckham?

Indeed. The tragedy among all this is that the booing/bullying brigade have no idea that they're also part of the problem affecting this club.

I can't imagine any occupation in the world where someone under-performing has ever done better by being harassed and bullied by others.

Any disciplined/uniformed service anywhere in the world.

Any disciplined/uniformed service anywhere in the world.

Ok people seem to want to draw comparsions to the army. So when our soilders are getting shot at in a combat situation the Sgt's or whoever is in charge are shouting abuse at these people telling them their useless ***** and should **** off etc?.

Ok people seem to want to draw comparsions to the army. So when our soilders are getting shot at in a combat situation the Sgt's or whoever is in charge are shouting abuse at these people telling them their useless ***** and should **** off etc?.

No some people want  to claim football is a high pressure profession, it's a game where a bag of wind is being kicked around and participants are highly paid, virtually impossible to get rid of when they are not good enough even at our lowly level, they don't have to worry about being laid off or sacked,  they get paid come what may and boy we have had a few of those over the past 5 years.

Archived