IGNORED

Crawley...

One Team In Keynsham

Gave up looking at the league table weeks ago, but noticed tonight that Crawley have 6 games in hand on us:  how did that happen? 

How come they have had so many games postponed?  Cup rearrangements?  Waterlogged pitch?  Biblical plagues of locusts?

League one club with a conference pitch. Must be the worst in the league. Total quagmire.

Good things is they'll have a game saturday, tuesday, saturday tuesday, and I'm guessing because they are a smal club with a small budget they will have a thin squad, hopefully we have new relegation fodder buddies

Had 22 first team and reserve players at the start of the season. Can only be good for us

Our last game with them could be interesting.

They've got to play 21 games in just under three months; that would stretch even the strongest squad, so will be interesting to see what happens.

There next two matches (both at home) are interesting for us, being against Carlisle and Tramere.  

Will be a good judge of what kind of team they really are; a top half team just unable to get on the pitch, or a relegation contender.

Crawley have to play Saturday - Tuesday - Saturday for the next NINE WEEKS. We've just had it for 3 weeks and it's been bad enough!

Having all these games in hand is one thing... getting any points out of them is another.. you'd imagine they will be absolutely crocked as a squad by the end of March.

Crawley have to play Saturday - Tuesday - Saturday for the next NINE WEEKS. We've just had it for 3 weeks and it's been bad enough!

Having all these games in hand is one thing... getting any points out of them is another.. you'd imagine they will be absolutely crocked as a squad by the end of March.

In one month (between 15 Feb and 15 Mar) they play NINE games, and that is with February being a short month.

That will either boost them right out of trouble or, if not, likely be crushing for moral, considering.

The fact the next game after that brutal run is Wolves shows how relentless it'll be for them.

In one month (between 15 Feb and 15 Mar) they play NINE games, and that is with February being a short month.

That will either boost them right out of trouble or, if not, likely be crushing for moral, considering.

The fact the next game after that brutal run is Wolves shows how relentless it'll be for them.

And that's assuming the pitch is playable for those games. It isn't getting any drier.

Also, those home games that they do play will be on a quagmire and extra tiring.

I wouldn't wish it on the Gas - well, I would, really ;)

And that's assuming the pitch is playable for those games. It isn't getting any drier.

Also, those home games that they do play will be on a quagmire and extra tiring.

I wouldn't wish it on the Gas - well, I would, really ;)

Yeah, of course, and of those nine five are at home.

Thing is, even if they DO have to delay, they still have to play another nine the following month.

Out of interest; what happens if we are approaching the end of the season and a team simply cannot play back-logged home games?

Yeah, of course, and of those nine five are at home.

Thing is, even if they DO have to delay, they still have to play another nine the following month.

Out of interest; what happens if we are approaching the end of the season and a team simply cannot play back-logged home games?

Dock the points, clearly - can't say fairer than that, squire ;)

But that can't work; what if the points we'd have got against them on the last day of could save us?

Them being given -3 is no help.

Surely, if Coventry can play elsewhere Crawley could too?

Naturally, we'd get the three points as a reward for not playing on a swamp. Simples.

Everybody has to play everybody else home and away in a season. Yes the weather has been exceptional, but most teams are facing battles to maintain their pitches not just them. Maybe they simply haven't invested in the pitch and are now paying the price of postponements. Yes they had a cup run which caused delays, but that was extra revenue too. They would have had the benefit of going into some games fresher than their opposition at times too, now they have to take the other side of the coin. I guess they have to hope it doesn't rain or snow for the next few months.

That might benefit other teams around us that are playing them so I don't think you can worry too much about it.

Just got to concentrate on getting to those 50 points as that will enough I think.

I can only see us as the winners here as a team could be playing Saturday Monday Saturday because of Crawley. Especially if they play teams around us that will tire them out

We have to play them on the final day so I assume they will all have to be finished by then?

They still have one midweek "slot" between the last two saturdays - beyond that they will have to do two midweek games I expect.

Apparently the Conference have already considered extending their season as many of their clubs have postponed games.

In the Football League all teams must finish on the same day to avoid any one team knowing the required result on the last day. Therefore if the season had to be extended for just a few clubs, the rest of us would have a few blank dates to sit through whilst they played catch up.

Last season the Isthmian League announced their final day, so Lowestoft's last 10 games became Sat - Tue - Thur - Sat - Tue - Thur - Sat - Tue - Thur - Sat. If Crawley with their small squad do something similar, it could be to City's advantage.

That might benefit other teams around us that are playing them so I don't think you can worry too much about it.

Just got to concentrate on getting to those 50 points as that will enough I think.

Interestingly most clubs around us have games in hand; so they all will have a higher degree of fixture congestion, albeit not as bad as Crawley.

Interesting.  

That is a brutal schedule.  Cannot see this benefiting their fight for survival, considering the size of their squad. 

Different sport, but back when I lived in Manchester, worked with a lad who was a Wigan rugby league fan:  due to a backlog of their own one season, they faced a run-in of 8 games in 18 days (just Googled and see that they played Tuesday, Friday, Monday, Thursday, Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday).  Hopefully Crawley get the same back-log, but prove less successful.

Archived